TKD is pretty friggin fun.

B

bMunky

So far it's been a week of TKD and it's been fun as all hell. I've noticed are school does a lot of self defense drills even though it's WTF. Like we were practicing pivoting for multiple oppenents it was pretty cool. The colored belts said my jump sidekick is really nice (probably cause I can jump really really high and I'm short, my rollerblading makes my legs VERY strong). So far I'm very pleased with my class, are teacher is an world games gold medalist. I hear all these bad things about TKD dojangs, but I love the way we get taught in are dojo. I found out at the beggining of every summer the team goes down to korea to train with the korean national team, and this year there gonna go train with the korean and japanese national teams, which is gonna be really cool if I can come up with the money. My instructors are Master Yoon and Chief Instructor Paula Aloi of Sky martial Arts academy(http://www.skymartialarts.com/index2.html), they teach the class together, aloi usually works witht he advanced students and Master Yoon is usually with the white belts as I'm guessing it's because he explains things so clear where you have to be retarded not to understand. So far TKD has been 100% complimenting my DZR jujitsu training, they just blend so well together.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
bMunky said:
So far it's been a week of TKD and it's been fun as all hell. I've noticed are school does a lot of self defense drills even though it's WTF. Like we were practicing pivoting for multiple oppenents it was pretty cool. The colored belts said my jump sidekick is really nice (probably cause I can jump really really high and I'm short, my rollerblading makes my legs VERY strong). So far I'm very pleased with my class, are teacher is an world games gold medalist. I hear all these bad things about TKD dojangs, but I love the way we get taught in are dojo. I found out at the beggining of every summer the team goes down to korea to train with the korean national team, and this year there gonna go train with the korean and japanese national teams, which is gonna be really cool if I can come up with the money. My instructors are Master Yoon and Chief Instructor Paula Aloi of Sky martial Arts academy(http://www.skymartialarts.com/index2.html), they teach the class together, aloi usually works witht he advanced students and Master Yoon is usually with the white belts as I'm guessing it's because he explains things so clear where you have to be retarded not to understand. So far TKD has been 100% complimenting my DZR jujitsu training, they just blend so well together.

Glad you're enjoying it. I must say, I find it a bit unusual for a student in his first week of TKD to be working on jump side kicks and footwork for multiple attackers. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a bit of exposure to such things early on, but I'm assuming (and hoping) that as
a new student, your teachers are spending the vast majority of your time in class teaching you the very basics of stances,blocks, how to punch, basic kicks.....

This stuff is the required foundation that must be mastered before the more advanced stuff like jump side kicks can be done properly. In our school, a new student spends the first week just trying to assume a decent front stance and move forward/backward in it. When that is accomplished, basic blocks are introduced. A few very basic self defense
techniques, e.g., against a wrist grab are thrown in for variety, but that's about it.

This is not to say our school's way is the only correct way. What I AM saying is, the fancier stuff is fun, but if you don't start spending some serious time on basic skills SOON, I would start to wonder about your school's curriculum, regardless of your teachers apparent credentials

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Happy to hear you ae enjoying your training.
May you enjoy the journey

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're having a good time! :) Unlike you, I started my training thinking it was anything BUT fun. Lucky for me that was short lived. I've been having fun ever since.

It does sound like your training is a bit unorthidox, but if it keeps you there and learning, more power to ya!

Happy training!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm glad you're having fun! It does sound a bit unorthodox (but not bad); then again, the teacher knows you've studied another art.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm just going to guess but I would think that maybe the instructor had some footwork drills and in the course of conversation/instruction mentioned one possible application in terms of multiple attackers. Not really a situation of a first week student being taught to handle multiple attackers per-se, and no dis-respect to bMunky. Just trying to read into what was posted and think of it in terms of "how would a new student report things and how would that make sense in terms of what goes on in a class?"

And welcome to the bery fun world of Taekwondo! :)

OP
B

bMunky

yeah I know what you guys mean, I think are teacher was trying to make class fun and I guess to show how fun class can be, because now all we do is pretty much drill blocks, horse stance, switching from different stances, front, side, and back kicks, jabs and straights and thats really it, the color belts do all kinds of crazy kicks, I cant wait to be flexible enough to learn an axe kick.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Congrats!
I was a little thrown off with jumping sidekicks but i see it was just a one time thing then cool.
Hope you keep your enthusaism up

Faye

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yay, i'm glad you enjoy your class!! I'm a bit puzzled on the jump side kick too, on first week?? Not saying it's wrong, because those fancy kicks makes it fun and more interesting.. but make sure you do concentrate on the basics first, side kick is easy to learn, but difficult to master..

Good luck!

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Great to hear you're enjoying your TKD training experience. I know personally that my training has been great fun, a nice diversion and an excellent method to blow off steam from work since the first day I walked into the dojang.

It's really only become a little bit of a chore for me since I've advanced to my current rank (2nd dan BB). Now, I'm expected to assist more in class and work toward becoming a qualified assistant instructor. One of my passions is training in Taekwondo, but I'm not much into teaching, especially the little ruggers and kids with low attention spans. But I guess it comes with the territory and advancing in our art. Much rather be a practitioner than a teacher though... :shrug:

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
cali_tkdbruin said:
Great to hear you're enjoying your TKD training experience. I know personally that my training has been great fun, a nice diversion and an excellent method to blow off steam from work since the first day I walked into the dojang.

It's really only become a little bit of a chore for me since I've advanced to my current rank (2nd dan BB). Now, I'm expected to assist more in class and work toward becoming a qualified assistant instructor. One of my passions is training in Taekwondo, but I'm not much into teaching, especially the little ruggers and kids with low attention spans. But I guess it comes with the territory and advancing in our art. Much rather be a practitioner than a teacher though... :shrug:
My experience from being in your situation is, if you really embrace the teaching, you will learn more than you dreamed possible. I have always enjoyed teaching, coaching, etc., but when I first started teaching in our school, I was afraid that my reduced time as a "student" learning from the school Master would slow my progress. Quite the opposite happened. I was at, and you are at a level where much of your future progress will be made by refining your current skills. Teaching others is a fantastic way to do that. You have to bring your "A" Game every day. I believe you will progress more than you could ever hope for.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks for your response Martial Tucker, and yeah you're right, I should probably approach teaching my MA in a more positive manner. I guess I'm just having a little difficulty transitioning from actually practicing and performing our TKD techniques to teaching them. :idunno:

But I do bring my "A" game every time I go train in TKD. I've been that way from day one when they first wrapped that white belt around my waist as a 10th gup... :asian:

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
cali_tkdbruin said:
Thanks for your response Martial Tucker, and yeah you're right, I should probably approach teaching my MA in a more positive manner. I guess I'm just having a little difficulty transitioning from actually practicing and performing our TKD techniques to teaching them. :idunno:

But I do bring my "A" game every time I go train in TKD. I've been that way from day one when they first wrapped that white belt around my waist as a 10th gup... :asian:

Of course, I never said it would be easy! :rolleyes: It took me a little time of grumbling under my breath before I realized I was improving more rapidly than I'd have ever expected.

As for bringing the "A" game, good for you! Not everyone does, and it's usually pretty obvious. Good luck!

Latest Discussions