Tips to beating the heat

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Found this article on a MS website but thought it had a lot of relevance with some basic ideas on how to keep cool this summer. They are common sense ideas, but it is amazing how many people don't follow common sense ;) Please feel free to add to them, if you have any suggestions on how to help beat the heat.

[font=Avant Garde, Arial, Geneva][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10 Tips to Beat the Heat[/font][/font]
sun.gif
[font=Arial, Geneva][font=Avant Garde, Arial, Geneva][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]by Trish Robichaud[/font][/font][/font] [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For people with multiple sclerosis, finding ways to beat the heat is about more than just comfort. Staying cool this summer may mean the difference between a season filled with fun activities and one spent in what I call “horizontal mode”.[/font]

[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here are 10 tips to help you stay cool when the temperature soars. [/font]

[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. Air conditioning
[/font][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Air conditioning may be your weapon in the fight against heat. I have a window unit in my bedroom for sleeping. If air conditioning isn’t possible, a dehumidifier and fans can help. By removing some humidity and creating a current, the air will feel cooler. When all else fails, visit the mall, library or any place that has air conditioning. If prescribed by a physician, the cost of an air conditioner (maximum $1,000) can be claimed as a medical expense on your federal income tax form. [/font]

[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2. Keep the sun out
[/font][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Keep the window shades drawn from at least 11:00 am until 2:00 pm. The mid-day sun can increase the heat in the house and make it difficult to cool down in the evening.[/font]

[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3. Sleep alone
[/font][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It sounds lonely but it’ll be much cooler without the body heat that comes with a spouse, child, dog or even the family cat sharing your bed.[/font]

[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4. Wear cotton
[/font][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cotton takes perspiration away from the skin leaving you drier and more comfortable. Select light-coloured cotton clothes, nightwear and bedding. Cotton sheets not only absorb sweat, but permits your skin to breathe, making you more comfortable and less restless. Better sleep means more energy and better mobility.[/font]

[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5. Cool showers and baths
[/font][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]During the summer, there’s nothing more satisfying than a cool bath or shower. Even running cold water over my wrists (or another pulse point) for a few minutes cools me down. When I can’t sleep at night because of the heat, I fill a pan with cold water and soak my feet – it really helps to lower the body temperature![/font]

[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6. Keep exercise moderate
[/font][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Exercise is important but it’s tempting to skip it when it’s hot. Do exercise but keep it moderate. Don’t push yourself too hard and be sure to take a cool shower afterwards to bring your body temperature back down.[/font]

[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7. Try swimming
[/font][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If possible, choose swimming as your exercise during the summer. Swimming works all the major muscle groups while helping to maintain a lower body temperature. It also helps with balance and mobility.[/font]

[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8. Seek shade
[/font][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When you’re going to be outside, always sit in the shade. Even better, sit in the shade where there’s a breeze. [/font]

[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9. Wear a hat
[/font][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The sun beating down on your head has a huge impact on your body temperature: always wear a hat when you’re out in the sun. [/font]

[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10. Try cooling clothing
[/font][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A number of manufacturers now make cooling vests, hats, etc. Last summer my husband came home with cooling bandanas. They have gel crystals that retain cold when wet. You run it under cold water and tie it around your head. As long as it stays wet, it stays cool – neat![/font]

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That was a COOOOOOOOL article. I can certainly relax in the shade of this knowledge. Definately refreshing to know that this information is widely available. I froze when I read the section about sleeping alone; however, I chilled when I remembered that I usually sleep alone anyway.
It seemed appropriate that I should take a moment to give a breezy response.

Someone shoot me, please...the puns are to much...:ripper:

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Consume mass quantities of spicy foods and alcohol...no, wait. Bad idea.

Hydration is a big one. We have a thing called a Futurex machine, that evaluates body fat, lean body mass, and hydration. In the office, we see many well-hydrated folks. When we set up at outside functions, the body water content percentage drops substantially. Seems easy to forget we are made of the stuff, and that it follows a concentration gradient OUT of the body during heat or duress. So drink up.

Regards,

Dave

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Consume mass quantities of spicy foods and alcohol...no, wait. Bad idea.
Isn't that what you do on a cold day? or was it everyday?...ah, spicy foods and a cold beer everyday. Yeah, that was it.

Seems easy to forget we are made of the stuff
What?? What's this non-sense about being made up of stuff?

...and now for something completely different:

Seriously, alcohol is about the worst thing you can do to your body when you are dehydrated, and soda-pop is not a good replacement for the ol' stand-by known as water.
Everyone probably already knows that...I was just warning all the fat, alcoholic soda drinkers that frequent this martial arts forum.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Our heat index has been 110 degrees F. and let me tell ya, building houses out in this is horrendous~! 12 hour days with no shade and an hour for lunch is nauseating.. Water is a must, though cold water is not the best choice, I leave mine nearby so it's ambient temp.. much easier for your body to handle. Gatorade is definitely necessary.. keep those electrolytes in balance. Light meals, sunscreen, a good hat with broad brim and light clothing, color and fabric. A bunch of our crew wear shorts and one guy goes shirtless.. not to bright. Sunburn put him down for a few days. and wearing no protection on your legs up on a roof is just asking for trouble..

So Keep as cool as you can.. indoors is the best :)
we just finished #4 house and have 4 more to go.. so don't think I'll be keeping very cool.

~Tess

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great thread, Nalia! All of the suggestions are good but I'm glad Dr. Dave brought up hydration because it's just as important as the others. :)

Tess - It sounds like you & Seig know what you're doing, but please be careful in this weather; we can't afford to lose any instructors! :ultracool

KenpoEMT

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Isn't that what you do on a cold day? or was it everyday?...ah, spicy foods and a cold beer everyday. Yeah, that was it.

What?? What's this non-sense about being made up of stuff?

...and now for something completely different:

Seriously, alcohol is about the worst thing you can do to your body when you are dehydrated, and soda-pop is not a good replacement for the ol' stand-by known as water.
Everyone probably already knows that...I was just warning all the fat, alcoholic soda drinkers that frequent this martial arts forum.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...
Ugh...I forgot that I wrote this... I tend to lose control of the keyboard when the very rare occasion arises for me to have a drink or two (or nine). I must be one of the fat, alcoholic soda drinkers... Sorry about that. Certainly an inappropriate post for this section of the forum. ...Ugh...

gkygrl

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am a woman with MS who is EXTREMELY heat sensitive (as many of us are). There are a couple other things I can add as I did not think I saw them:

- take some washclothes and wet them ... put them in the freezer for about a half hour and then place them in a cooler. These are WONDERFUL around your neck as the day heats up or body temperature heats up.

- they also make cooling garments (cooling vests in particular). Cooling vests employ special ice packs and can be a life-saving cooling device for anyone who suffers from overheating. I made a Squidoo lens on the topic for anyone interested: http://www.squidoo.com/coolingvests

I was diagnosed with MS in 2002 and have not studied martial arts since I was in the Army as an MP in the 80's. I studied Judo/JJ and probably some other brands of self-defense. It was a lot of fun and I am getting back into it and will be studying Combat Hapkido.

Did not mean to derail the topic .... just wanted to add a little bit on cooling since it is something I have had to learn a lot about. Nothing beats a lot of hydration and a pool when you have access to one :)

Cheers!

Latest Discussions