Throat strikes? ...how much is taught to you?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Even a gentle push on the corotid artery will make an impression on an opponent. It would be almost a crime to not know this stuff.
Sean

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the problem for me in answering this is what we mean by 'throat strike'. Offhand, I think first of strikes to the trachea (windpipe), which can go from dropping the guy (as using a web hand/tiger mouth) to causing death (spear hand or knife hand, or possibly fist/elbow/kick). So, pretty heavy stuff.

Then there's the carotid artery to the side/front of the throat, which can usually be counted on to cause him to move away from the pressure (e.g., a take down), but continuous pressure (as in squeezing) can also do more severe damage by interrupting blood flow to the brain--always hard to predict the outcome.

A single finger/thumb to the sternal notch will definitely back him up/off/down, depending on angle, and I've never really felt this was that dangerous.

And last, the side/base of the 'throat', that is the neck, hit with force (as a knife hand or hammer fist) is generally good for a take down.

So, I think we teachers especially need to be clear about what the effects could be. Still, I teach them all at intermediate level and above, and would use any necessary.

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, The above give a good point..about using the throat strike....it can be a deadly move....

Only thing is....what if the the OTHER GUY DOES IT TO YOU FIRST?

You can teach your students NOT to do certain techniques....just that the other person may use it against them FIRST!

NO rules in fighting for your life .....just laws that can send you to jail!

Good guys have to use reasonable force....bad guys do not care HOW MUCH FORCE....`

Better to end the fight or there life than yours? ....Hopefully no life will be taken...and a good ending in eyes of the law!

Aloha, (throat strikes....mostly likely the fight will end quickly..) and if attack by several people? ...good place to start...

BudoSpace.com

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, Most of us practice some "throat strikes"....do we know how dangerous this can be? ....a very effective way to end a fight? ....and is consider a killing move?

You are facing someone who wants to hurt you....before he can swing his punch to you.....you "pop" your spear hand into his THROAT!

Is this a smart or wise move? ....against an unknown person?

NOTE: knife hand can be use in any swinging motions..in, out, ankle in, ankle out, sideways in or out or straight in ...both hands or either one, and open hand "Y" strike, or knuckles? or punch? thumb? finger? etc...

Throat strikes: ...your thoughts on this?

for an idea how effective? ...just self strike to your throat area!

Aloha,

Throat strikes are extremely dangerous. We are taught these types of strikes in my art, but with caution. As martial artists, the legal system holds us in a different regard than the average citizen.

There are people who believe that, because you are a martial artists, you can subdue an attacker without doing them harm. This of course, depends entirely on your training, and the situation at hand. However, you may find yourself in serious trouble with the law, if you use a throat strike, and seriously injure or kill your attacker. Even if it is in self-defense.

Also, be sure you are clear on your state's laws regarding self-defense. You may find out that you can get in more trouble than your assailant.

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've had to use a few throat strikes, and while they didn't do harm to the person coming at me. I still wouldn't advise a throat strike unless absolutely necessary.

An alternative like a knife hand to the groin would be a suitable alternative but when placed in that situation where you have to defend yourself with little time to think you can't say that what you'd do or not.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have used the throat strike (leopards paw) to end an altercation once. Used enough control to end it and not cause serious damage. I like the strike it is very effective. In my opinion it is not always a killing strike. It can be altered to aim to the side of the throat (striking the major arteries). This will still stun them and end the fight but there is no risk of serious injury

my 2 cents...

B

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This may be taken as kind of harsh, but it is how I was trained. First of all, I'm not a little man and I do not look like a victim, so chances are I wouldn't be in an altercation if the person or persons I am facing didn't intend harm. I will end it however I can, as quick as possible. In most instances, I will be able to do that with my verbal skills and remaining calm. I may be able to hit the floating rib and stop it there. I may be able to take out a knee and that will end it, but in all honesty, if it means I need to target the throat, so be it. Fighting is not easy, people get hurt, they made their decision.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I love throat srikes. I have used them a few times to stop an altercation. Thank goodness no one has been severely injured. It is possible however to crush somebody's lyrnyx (windpipe) to the point where they can not breath, eventually causing death. A person must be careful when using throat strikes. I suggest that they be used only if you don't think you can beat them any other way. I guess its a judgement call and what the situation is. But yeah, I like throat strikes.

TrainHardFightEasy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Throat strikes are good. Anyways, if you are at all concerned about using what may be a 'lethal move' in the street against someone who wants to hurt you it tells me you dont have a real fighters mentality. I don't understand this consideration being given to a scumbag aggressor. You should try and hurt them to ensure your own safety.

Latest Discussions