Three concepts on the utilization of forces

OP
Y

Yeung

Orange Belt
Reaction score
- Boxers like to talk about offense techniques (such as jab, cross, hook, uppercut).
- WC guys like to talk about defense techniques (such as Fu Shou, Tan Shou, Bon Shou).

Why one MA style likes to talk about offense while another MA style likes to talk about defense?

When you punch your opponent's face, you want your opponent to move in toward you. It's force against force.

A + B > A
If you cannot tell the difference between a sport and an art than you should have a look at Loi lau hoi song lat sau jik chong in this forum:
Loi Lau Hoi Song, Lat Sau Jik Chong

Fu Shou, Tan Shou, Bon Shou, or internal Tan Shou are used to entertain an incoming strike and then send the opponent away with lower side palm heel strike, upper palm heel strike, finger trust, or a knuckle strike. In real fighting, one cannot afford to trade of as in sport with protective devices.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
- Boxers like to talk about offense techniques (such as jab, cross, hook, uppercut).
- WC guys like to talk about defense techniques (such as Fu Shou, Tan Shou, Bon Shou).

Why one MA style likes to talk about offense while another MA style likes to talk about defense?

When you punch your opponent's face, you want your opponent to move in toward you. It's force against force.

A + B > A
Then you have the other side of that coin. Sometimes I want to punch my opponent in the face where he's least able to resist it. It's the punch you don't see,,,,,

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you cannot tell the difference between a sport and an art than you should have a look at Loi lau hoi song lat sau jik chong in this forum:

Fu Shou, Tan Shou, Bon Shou, or internal Tan Shou are used to entertain an incoming strike and then send the opponent away with lower side palm heel strike, upper palm heel strike, finger trust, or a knuckle strike. In real fighting, one cannot afford to trade of as in sport with protective devices.
- Why do you want to send your opponent away?
- I cannot tell the difference between sport and art. What's the difference?
- Do you ever pull your opponent's head into your knee? Is that force against force?

MT-knee.jpg

OP
Y

Yeung

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Oh, I made a spelling mistake, it should be finger thrust and not finger trust. Sending an opponent with a strike is a sensible thing, and this is all about fighting. Without going into details of doing a grab or Lap Shou from a Tan Shou, pull the opponent to the side by turning to the side stance and punch and if he or she pull back then follow the direction of the pull with a strike to the face. This is strength add on strength, or as a form of borrowing force. In a way, meeting a strike with Tan Shou is already a form of force against force. I think you should find the entrance techniques of Wing Chun in this forum, as that is something practitioners learned before making use of the wooden dummy.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not all sport uses significant safety devices. And not all "art" (I consider this a false distinction) is focused on effectiveness.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
if he or she pull back then follow the direction of the pull with a strike to the face. This is strength add on strength,
Let's check on the math here.

When your opponent pulls back (A), he is moving away from you, if you strike to his face (B), it's

B - A < B (We all know that rear end collision doesn't cause too much damage.)

In

- striking art, borrowing force means "head on collision".
- throwing art, borrowing force means "rear end collision".

This is why Taiji push hand does not make sense to me. IMO, pushing is neither striking nor throwing.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

When your opponent pulls back (A), he is moving away from you, if you strike to his face (B), it's

In

This is why Taiji push hand does not make sense to me. IMO, pushing is neither striking nor throwing.
I suppose that depends somewhat on the purpose of a strike. If someone is moving away and the purpose of the strike is to keep them going in that direction (for defensive purposes, or perhaps to set up a power strike), then hitting them becomes B+A (adding to their "away" momentum). There are even some grappling techniques that borrow force via "head on collision" - you can see this a lot in some Aikido techniques.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are even some grappling techniques that borrow force via "head on collision" - you can see this a lot in some Aikido techniques.
I don't know any throwing technique that use head on collision. Could you give an example, or put up a clip?

Are you talking about your opponent runs toward you, you use your arm to strike on his neck, he will then fall down?

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know any throwing technique that use head on collision. Could you give an example, or put up a clip?

Are you talking about your opponent runs toward you, you use your arm to strike on his neck, he will then fall down?
Aikido’s irimi nage is a good case. This is a reasonably clear version (just ignore the context - I doubt that would work against a jab in that way).

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is really similar to something I had people working on last night. I didn't think about it quite in these same terms, but maybe I'll revisit it tonight with this idea in my head and see how it feels.

OP
Y

Yeung

Orange Belt
Reaction score

In

It gets a bit difficult if you can not activate the elastic component of your body to spring back after the your pull and follow the pull of the opponent and use additional force to strike.

Maybe you are talking the sport of pushing hand, as there are rules such as not putting the hands over the shoulder(s) to pull and no striking, etc.

Most people use to practice using concentric muscle contraction to generate power do have difficulties in doing Wing Chun sticking hands of Taijiquan push hands.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not all rulesets are equally restrictive. Some allow a lot of what folks in SD circles (and I'm in that circle, so I get to hear a lot of it) say they could use in situations that sports folks wouldn't.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not all rulesets are equally restrictive. Some allow a lot of what folks in SD circles (and I'm in that circle, so I get to hear a lot of it) say they could use in situations that sports folks wouldn't.

Rulesets vary, of course, but one thing that is true of all is that they're intended to minimize unacceptable risk. So, in this context, it's reasonable to consider them a safety device.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rulesets vary, of course, but one thing that is true of all is that they're intended to minimize unacceptable risk. So, in this context, it's reasonable to consider them a safety device.
It is, though I don't think that's what the poster meant, or they'd probably have referred to rules and devices. It seems a linguistic stretch for common conversation. Reference to the safety of sport is a common point made by SD-oriented instructors. There's some validity (as you pointed out in this post), but it's most often vastly overstated.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It gets a bit difficult if you can not activate the elastic component of your body to spring back after the your pull and follow the pull of the opponent and use additional force to strike.

Maybe you are talking the sport of pushing hand, as there are rules such as not putting the hands over the shoulder(s) to pull and no striking, etc.

Most people use to practice using concentric muscle contraction to generate power do have difficulties in doing Wing Chun sticking hands of Taijiquan push hands.
Do you agree that "rear end collision" is A - B < A?

If your intention is to push your opponent away, A + B > A. But I assume we are not talking about pushing here.

OP
Y

Yeung

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Between proficient Wing Chun practitioners, a fight without rule will end up in some forms of sticking hand techniques and who ever achieve the first strike will be the winner. The name of the game is to demonstrate superiority by control but very often that is not the case with beginners. Most clubs have some sort of hierarchical system but to formalize this kind of contest is not possible, and has failed many time since the Foshan, Hong Kong and Guangzhou Chinwoo Rose Cup Yong Chun Sticking-hand Invitation Tournament, Foshan City, Guangdong, China, 21-22 October 2000.

OP
Y

Yeung

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Do you agree that "rear end collision" is A - B < A?

If your intention is to push your opponent away, A + B > A. But I assume we are not talking about pushing here.

There is a difference in pulling one's hand away and moving one's face away. Anyway, let get back to the fundamental of utilization of force. The example of tripod dumbbell rows is demonstrate

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a difference in pulling one's hand away and moving one's face away. Anyway, let get back to the fundamental of utilization of force. The example of tripod dumbbell rows is demonstrate
I asked before: what does that example demonstrate?