Threat Indicators!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this video is dead on and useful (although I bet some of it would vary in different cultural settings). But I'm honestly surprised that it would be that necessary. I've always been one to walk away and avoid fights as much as possible, but this kind of behavior is kind of 'no ****' to me. I just can't imagine how most people (or at least most adult men) wouldn't know the meaning of these indicators.
Most of the behaviors shown are pretty consistent across cultural lines.

I'm not exactly in agreement that looking down or at the fist is a particular reliable precursor/signal... and that one might change with different cultures (some cultures don't make as much eye contact as is common in the US). Most of the others, though, are really part and parcel with the autonomic arousal system.

utb1528

White Belt
Reaction score
Great post. Thanks.

I have worked in a jail for a decade or so.

One simple trick I use is I always ask "Are you OK?"
If you don't get an answer be careful.

Also, someone wrote listen your instincts. Good advice.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like the video, because it shows AN escalation of the pattern of behaviors... but I'm not a fan of a lot of those lists. You don't remember them under pressure, especially when you're running on a mental script shaped by lots of encounters that didn't go violent.

All of those behaviors are actually part of one of two things, the body's prep for combat or what Rory Miller called the Monkey Dance. Recognizing what's going on eliminates the need to remember lists. Most of the pre-fight behaviors stem from one or the other (or both). Excess energy caused by the hormonal cocktail prepping the body, expressed as antsy/shifty movements or tensing, for example, and actions like chest puffing or big gestures caused by unconscious/subconscious attempts to prove status without fighting (part of the Monkey Dance).

It's also very important to realize that there's a difference between a confrontation like that shown above, where there are almost always precursors that can be seen and "real" predatory violence which will often occur with little or no warning.

It bears noting that some of those indicators ARE indicators of predatory violence, while others, sticking the chest out, aren't.

Blading the body, and putting the power to the rear, is an indicator of predatory violence, i.e. prepping for an assault. The better the predator, the better his ability to conceal his preparation, but all predators prepare for the attack by concealed positioning for advantage and an attempt at subterfuge.

Remember.....the key to predatory assault is UNDETECTED MOVEMENT FOR TOTAL SURPRISE ON THE ENEMY! But all predators give indicators, no matter how subtle......many victims simply aren't aware enough to perceive them.

And while we read the bad guys, the REVERSE is true as well.........the bad guy is looking and probing for weaknesses to exploit......if he doesn't find any, he's not likely to attack. IF he finds a weakness, even such as a moment of distraction or lack of awareness, he may attack.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think this video is dead on and useful (although I bet some of it would vary in different cultural settings). But I'm honestly surprised that it would be that necessary. I've always been one to walk away and avoid fights as much as possible, but this kind of behavior is kind of 'no ****' to me. I just can't imagine how most people (or at least most adult men) wouldn't know the meaning of these indicators.

You'd be very surprised what 'most people' don't know or recognize......your mistake is assuming that other people have your instincts.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You'd be very surprised what 'most people' don't know or recognize......your mistake is assuming that other people have your instincts.
That is a very valid point. Though I don't think of it as instinct, I think of it as a learned awareness through experience. But you may be right either way. I may have just been more perceptive (and maybe paranoid :anic:) over the last 30 years.

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Great video. Thanks for sharing it, Brian.

If you get a chance, watch some of the tapes of LEOs being assaulted during traffic stops. In almost every case, the driver will exhibit most if not all of the warning signals and, for whatever reason, the officer remains oblivious. I know it's all too easy to be an armchair quarterback and I'm not making light of any LEO being attacked but it's useful to see what happened and what went wrong in order to better prepare yourself.

In the best of circumstances, the job of any LEO is stressful and there is always the potential for danger. The better prepared, both physically and mentally, the better their chances of of surviving.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great video. Thanks for sharing it, Brian.

If you get a chance, watch some of the tapes of LEOs being assaulted during traffic stops. In almost every case, the driver will exhibit most if not all of the warning signals and, for whatever reason, the officer remains oblivious. I know it's all too easy to be an armchair quarterback and I'm not making light of any LEO being attacked but it's useful to see what happened and what went wrong in order to better prepare yourself.

In the best of circumstances, the job of any LEO is stressful and there is always the potential for danger. The better prepared, both physically and mentally, the better their chances of of surviving.

I think that a lot of LEO's probably fall victim to "reality is a lot different from theory". Some things are a lt easier said than done. also think that even though many people exhibit these cues, many offenders dont "jump off" and officers become complacent.

Latest Discussions