thoughts on following london's example

jonah2

Green Belt
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
...forfeit their liberty in the name of "safety"....
As I said earlier - A liberty I for one could live without.

The ban wasn't designed to stop suicide bobmers and the like thats just rediculas.

Put it this way - its late at night and you are walking home - two men are walking in the opposite direction - one side of the street, an man in light clothing and on the other side a man in a hooded top - you have to walk past one of them to continue your journey - which do you choose. Not saying either would be a safer option in reality, but its a natural thought process.

Owners an workers in shopping centres have been intimidated and targetted for years by youths wearing hoodys. They know they can't be seen by the cameras. Whats wrong with protecting these members of our society by making others remove a hood - big deal.

I'm not saying ban the tops or the hoods all together - just remove the hood in a shop - is that really too much to ask people!!.

Jonah

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This is one instance where I will agree......Ban the object.
I don't really care who gets mad at it.
Hoodies,bandanas and even balaklavas or ski masks.....
ban the lot of them.
I was just watching a local crime show here last week and an officer had to leave a neighborhood because there was 12-15 yr old kids blasting him with rocks and bottles.
They ALL had hoodies and crap...and there was not a single thing the officer could,but leave.
Even after he returned to his car,the kids came RIGHT UP to his windows telling HIM to get the F-out and started throwing things at the camera people as well.
NOW.....
Let me say this;
Back when I was a teenager,we policed our own.
If little johnny was going to do something to bring the police down on all of us....little johnny got a "talkin to" first.
If people don't like the idea of thier little hoddies and baseball caps getting banned,maybe they should think along the same lines and get thier "friends" to quit being such asses.
If I walk past a group with thier faces covered,on a 90 degree day AND they have parkas on......You damn well bet my spider senses are on full alert and I am personally tired of it!
Some of these people are so paranoid,they look like mice fried on crack whenever they even just SEE a hooded person.

OP
K

kenpochad

i am glad that most of you that think this is a good ideal dont live in the U.S.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bammx2 said:
This is one instance where I will agree......Ban the object.
I don't really care who gets mad at it.
Hoodies,bandanas and even balaklavas or ski masks.....
ban the lot of them.
I was just watching a local crime show here last week and an officer had to leave a neighborhood because there was 12-15 yr old kids blasting him with rocks and bottles.
They ALL had hoodies and crap...and there was not a single thing the officer could,but leave.
Even after he returned to his car,the kids came RIGHT UP to his windows telling HIM to get the F-out and started throwing things at the camera people as well.

So what you are saying is that because of the hoody people committed this crime against the police officer? If they are not wearing a hooy it will be something else. The real root of the problem is that these people were never given the right direction as a child or they have just gotten involved with the wrong crowd. Either way it is not the hoody that is the problem. Without the hoody it would be bandanas, scarves, hats, beards. The list goes on and on. There is no real solution to the problem. Only one that I can think of is that people just need to be more vigilant.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
chinto01 said:
1.)The real root of the problem is that these people were never given the right direction as a child or they have just gotten involved with the wrong crowd.

2.)Either way it is not the hoody that is the problem. Without the hoody it would be bandanas, scarves, hats, beards. The list goes on and on.

3.)There is no real solution to the problem.

4.)Only one that I can think of is that people just need to be more vigilant.
1.) I will agree with you that people are not given good direction as children, even with terrorists.

2.) You are correct, terrorists will find some way around the video surveillance.

3.) True in that this is not the solution to thew problem. It is somebody's idea of a fix, an act of desperation.

4.) While being more vigilant is a great help in these times the solution is what we are doing now, hunting down the terrorists and bringing them to justice.

We need to stop them before they get a chance to become terrorists. How we do this is a mystery to me.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpochad said:
i am glad that most of you that think this is a good ideal dont live in the U.S.
:hammer::wavey: Amen!

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This idea would be good if criminals would obey the law. The problem is, though, that criminals will not obey the law. Why punish the law-abiding for the actions of a few unwholesome people (criminals)?

It's simply as impractical as saying "Let's ban pointy knives so criminals can't stab other people!"

Sorry, but criminals will not turn in their pointy knives, and of course, will not stop stabbing people with their pointy knives, while the law-abiding folks, for the most part, never used their lawfully-owned pointy knives to stab others.

Let's face it: There comes a point (no pun intended) in time, where we must stop blaming the objects, and start blaming the people behind the actions of dislike. After all, I doubt any of us would blame the spoon manufacturers for certain people being morbidly obese, or blame the liquor companies for a certain Massachusetts senator's drunken driving rampage.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
Let's face it: There comes a point (no pun intended) in time, where we must stop blaming the objects, and start blaming the people behind the actions of dislike. After all, I doubt any of us would blame the spoon manufacturers for certain people being morbidly obese, or blame the liquor companies for a certain Massachusetts senator's drunken driving rampage.

Glad someone finally said this!!!!!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
It's simply as impractical as saying "Let's ban pointy knives so criminals can't stab other people!"
Yes--this doesn't even work in prison!

Sometimes, banning the object is all one can do. Here in Indiana they're restricting the sale of cold medicine because it's used to make meth. Very frustrating. We'd rather they went after the meth.-makers (well, my wife would like that--I don't use the cold medicine, myself), but that's hard, so they try to control it where they can. The idea bothers me, but so does the large cost of the meth.-related crime in the area.

You have to use a tactic that's effective.

andy

Green Belt
Reaction score
just like to say for those that posted (and this is not the exact quote)
a liberty lost is worth the safety,----
????????????
????????????

You have no safety without the freedom,-silly.
would you prefer to wait on a third party to come to your defense?:flame:
still waiting?

It's never been the material "object"
it has always been the individual.morality cannot and will never be successfully legislated.

Opps (i just put my gi on--that must be why I feel violent) I told you fellow martial pals we should ban ma! that will solve the criminal problems

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, A friend mention " You know? There is only one way to change the world and one way only! If each of us can leave one good child and they in turn leave one good child. We can change the world. Our kids learn from others, each child needs a role model..........lets be a good one for them!

The world is raising more bad kids than good. When a man teaches hate, his kids learn to hate too. That is why violence will never end. Spank the child and he will grow up to hit kids and others too! Even nations teach hate, America is a good example of this, hate the Irags, north koreans, and etc.

Will it end?.....one day thousand of years from now....when we teach each other not to hate, but to care for others. Man are creatures of habits...bad habits can be change.....in time...............Just my thoughts........Aloha

jonah2

Green Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
.....If each of us can leave one good child and they in turn leave one good child. We can change the world......
Amen

I was told two things about being a father just before I became a parent that I remember and stick by:

'Each one teach one'
'Any jerk can make a child - but a real man takes on the responibility of raising a child correctly'

Jonah

Latest Discussions