Thought I would share this.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello my friends. I picked up a book last evening written by Dave Lowry entitled Moving Towards Stillness. I have just begun reading it and was pretty moved by the introduction to the book and thought I would share some of the ideas in it. I think people that are thinking of creating their own styles and the mcdojos out there should check some of this out. I will be paraphrasing some of the authors work so please excuse any errors.

" I do believe this: I think the martial paths that have been paved by the founders of these extraordinary disciplines have an immeasurable value for modern men and women no matter where they are from. The value of these Ways in no small part springs from the social mores they seek to refine in those who follow them. To pursue these Ways without a cognizance of all they offer, not just in terms of the physical realm but in the spiritual and psychological dimensions as well, is a waste of time and a regrettable misuse of the budo.

" My quarrel is with modernism, a spirit that demands instant results, that values the ego of the individual over all else, that runs roughshod over long and painstakingly established methods and goals without taking the time ti investigate or to appreciate those methods and goals."

" study the budo in the spirit of those who laid the path in the first place. try to understand the Ways as your predecessors did, as much as possible, and try to apply the lessons of the journey to the many areas of your life."

" They offer a way of living , one with ramifications in every area of life, every moment of it, that can hold tremendous rewards."

Thought I would share this with all of you.

In the spirit of Bushido!

Rob

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I like Dave Lowry alot and rate Autumn Lightning as one of my favorite martial art books, but you have to remember that he is a self-described "traditional curmudgeon." His education in the martial arts was very different than the experience that most budoka or karateka receive in the US. In his writings he talks about his studies in Judo and the lessons he learned there, I wonder what he thinks about Jigoro Kano who was undoubtedly accused of "modernism" in his time.

Lamont

R

rupton

Dave Lowry is one of my favorite MA writers. I like his books and enjoyed reading his monthly articles in Black Belt.

Latest Discussions