Thoughts on ATA TKD?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looks like typical friday night sparring at a local dojang to me. A lot of scoring opportunities not taken advantage of. I think ATA people can and have easily converted to kukki taekwondo. We are only talking about 17 forms.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Looks like typical friday night sparring at a local dojang to me.

Yeah, it was a bit of a cheap shot on my part for the sake of humor. Some of their techniques were pretty good, but others were pretty questionable and they seem to be quite fond of throwing their techniques WAY out of range to actually hit their opponent.

I think ATA people can and have easily converted to kukki taekwondo. We are only talking about 17 forms.

I'm sure that's true. I think that ATA guys would have an easier time with it than ITF TKD.

OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
Are you talking about the sine wave?

I'm talking about punches to the head.

Mostly I just feel like ATA sparring skills will transfer better to WTF sparring than ITF sparring.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
True ambassadors. . .

I actually thought they werent too bad, then I noticed they were black belts. No disrespect to the guys in the vid because they are just wearing the belt their org awarded them, but how do you get a black belt if you spar like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
S

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
I actually thought they werent too bad, then I noticed they were black belts. No disrespect to the guys in the vid because they are just wearing the belt their org awarded them, but how do you get a black belt if you spar like that?

Yeah, I dunno. I can come up with two legitimate explanations:

1. They are just playing around. Having fun. Not going hard. But why would you choose THAT video to be the one to upload for all the world to see?

2. They really just aren't that good.

Latest Discussions