Thoughts Of A Killer And Criminal

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the latest news article of the Cheshire, Ct. home invasion, I found this piece interesting. Here is the link.

I read the entire article in the paper today, but I wanted to focus on 2 parts of this article.

1) He said that "years of pent-up aggression built-up in prison was waiting to be released like a ticking timebomb" and triggered the baseball bat attack on Petit, an attack he committed moments after breaking into the Petit home in the middle of the night.

2) Boasts Of Burglary

In the 40-page letter, Komisarjevksy boasts about his career as a "nighttime cat" burglar, carefully detailing how he would case a house, steal alarm codes, don night-vision goggles and keep fellow burglars at bay until he needed them.

1) Anytime you hear about a criminal case, 9 times out of 10, you'll always hear something about the suspects life, growing up. You'll hear about the hardaches, you'll hear about drugs, you'll hear about how there was no father figure, the mother was on drugs, etc. Do you all feel that all of this really plays a huge part in the crimes that people do? Or do you feel that its an attempt to grasp as straws, by the defense, basically saying that due to all of this, this person had no control over what they did?

2) Sounds like this guy really went thru great lengths to case houses. Night vision goggles? I guess this goes to show, that when you're a dirtbag criminal, and you've got nothing better to do, than sit around, working on ways to break into places, there really is no sign of hope for you.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
1) Anytime you hear about a criminal case, 9 times out of 10, you'll always hear something about the suspects life, growing up. You'll hear about the hardaches, you'll hear about drugs, you'll hear about how there was no father figure, the mother was on drugs, etc. Do you all feel that all of this really plays a huge part in the crimes that people do? Or do you feel that its an attempt to grasp as straws, by the defense, basically saying that due to all of this, this person had no control over what they did?

When the criminal in question is a serial killer or other bizarre crime that is the product of mental illness, the background is as often as not completely normal. Makes sense, mental illness is mostly biological, not environmental. When the crime is drug dealing, burglary, or robbery, the background more often than not is dysfunctional and poor. The impetus for these crimes is far more environmentally based.

Crime rates are highest among young males from poor and dysfunctional homes. Crime rates rapidly drop with age and with increasing home stability and income. Coming from a poor, broken home won't make you a criminal, but it's an important element. Continually seeing attempts at explanation for criminal behavior as exculpation says more about the complainer than it does about the explainer. We aren't perfect, isolated machines of rational decision making and personal responsibility, and trying to understand why people do what they do won't make society crumble around our ears. Promise.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rough backgrounds do contribute to criminal behaviour. We should try to understand that so we can make progres in curbing that criminal behaviour. Having said that, there are people that come from horrific backgrounds that do not commit crimes. My personal opinion is to try to understand the root of criminal behaviour and even have compassion toward the criminals, but do not excuse that behaviour. Criminals must be held accountable for thier behaviour, even as we try to understand that behaviour.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, if I'm reading correctly, the behavior and end result, will vary from person to person? My birth father, who I no longer have any contact with, was, IMHO, a piece of ****. :D My Mother divorcing him, was probably the best thing that could've happened. So, I was raised by a single mother, until she met my step father, who I call my 'Father', yet I grew up just fine. No drugs, no criminal record, no murders, nothing. :)

Of course, I have to wonder, out of those that do have 'issues', how many actually use that as a crutch, for behavior that is disgusting, such as we've seen in this case. Sounds like the lawyers use that all the time.

IMO, reading this guys detailed burglary plan, I'd say he knew quite well what he was doing. If he was able to come up with such detail, then it would seem that he'd know that what he was doing was wrong. Yet somehow his lawyers, family, will attempt to use this as an excuse.

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hardships, a crappy childhood, abuse, and so on can help explain certain behaviors (criminal, drug dependencies, etc), but IMHO do not in any way excuse them.

Plenty of people have had equally bad childhoods who have gone on to be productive members of society, some of them achieving real greatness in their lifetimes. There are choices made, every step of the way. To claim otherwise is nothing but a cop-out.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the latest news article of the Cheshire, Ct. home invasion, I found this piece interesting. Here is the link.

I read the entire article in the paper today, but I wanted to focus on 2 parts of this article.

1) He said that "years of pent-up aggression built-up in prison was waiting to be released like a ticking timebomb" and triggered the baseball bat attack on Petit, an attack he committed moments after breaking into the Petit home in the middle of the night.

2) Boasts Of Burglary

In the 40-page letter, Komisarjevksy boasts about his career as a "nighttime cat" burglar, carefully detailing how he would case a house, steal alarm codes, don night-vision goggles and keep fellow burglars at bay until he needed them.

2) Sounds like this guy really went thru great lengths to case houses. Night vision goggles? I guess this goes to show, that when you're a dirtbag criminal, and you've got nothing better to do, than sit around, working on ways to break into places, there really is no sign of hope for you.
A traditional upbringing can't hurt. Society asks WHY when something like this happens and society is being told why. I don't see anyone grasping at the fact that bad upbringing breeds bad people. So, yes, I feel this all plays a huge part in the making of a criminal.
sean

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A traditional upbringing can't hurt. Society asks WHY when something like this happens and society is being told why. I don't see anyone grasping at the fact that bad upbringing breeds bad people. So, yes, I feel this all plays a huge part in the making of a criminal.
sean

I didn't say anyone here was grasping. What I meant was, that the defense in this case, will be using this. The other guy in this case, Steve Hayes, his team is attempting to move the spotlight off their client and onto Josh. And I'm sure the opposite will happen. Hell proof of that is in the 2nd paragraph of the article.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Regardless of circumstance, we are in the end answerable for our individual actions.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
All these people have rules within thier particular group that they follow without any problem. (Don`t turn your back on a friend in need, don`t talk to the cops, don`t bone your buddy`s girl, don`t let anybody get away with putting you down, etc.) If they can follow the rules of thier particular click, they can follow the rules we as a society put in place. They CHOOSE not to. So they CHOOSE to accept the consiquences if they`re caught.Freedom to choose and freedom to accept the benefits of success have to include the freedom to fall on your face when you fail. Otherwise you may think you believe in freedom, but you don`t because you don`t understand it.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah ... I've struggled for a long time with the ethics of capital punishment. For the most part I'm opposed to it because I believe that we all have the capacity for transcendence in some form or other. But these guys? Komisarjevski in particular? I don't hold out any hope for them at all. I wish them better luck and wisdom in their next incarnation, sooner rather than later.

Latest Discussions