This makes me almost ashamed to be from the same country.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
MILTON, Ont. — An Ontario woman who sparked outrage and international headlines when she was allegedly caught faking terminal cancer and taking money raised to help her is expected to be back in court Wednesday. Ashley Kirilow, 23, who police say pretended to have cancer, appeared at a bail hearing Monday handcuffed, wearing a long, beige dress and sporting short hair.

Both women say Kirilow was much changed Monday from the last time they saw her, sporting a bald head and wrapped up in sweaters and scarves.
Photos on a Facebook page for Kirilow's supposed charity, Change for a Cure, showed Kirilow making fists with her hands to show off tattoos on her knuckles that read: "won't quit."
Other photos, which have since been taken down, showed a pair of hands wrapped in tubes and taped in needles.
Police allege Kirilow passed herself off as having cancer and organized fundraisers with the help of others who believed her to be terminally ill.

http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100809/100809_fake_cancer/20100809/?hub=CP24Home

People like her make me ill! I've family members who have cancer and my good friend died of it when we were just 15 years old.
she got attention money and a free trip to disney world? Cancer is a serious disease, people grieve by it and from it, people even in my own family, what she has done disgraces families affected by it.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There was a case in my city recently of a woman who was the victim of an acid attack. Someone approached her randomly and threw it in her face. The whole community rallied around her, big fundraisers, everything. She was a local hero.

When the bandages came off, her injuries weren't compatible with the acid story. Turns out she wiped her own face with Drano for the attention. So she went straight from the chemical burn unit to the forensic psych ward where she awaits all kinds of charges.

Thank God they never made an arrest ...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank God they never made an arrest ...

Indeed!! Yikes!! :eek:

A similar story story to Blade's happened here about 10 years ago. Person from South Boston claimed to be dying of cancer and used that to defraud friends out of money. When it was revealed that she didn't actually have cancer, she went up on charges...fraud, I think. Sentence was 2 years probation or something like that.

The story didn't end there. About a year later, she drove the getaway car for a hit on a gas station and went up on two felony accessory charges.

Its a shame some folks just don't learn

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least these people are doing it to themselves! there was a case here recently and I have seen others in other places where a mother has said their child is ill and fundraised to take them soemwhere for a 'cure', here it's usually to go to America or Russia where there's a treatment that will save them. Of course the poor child is told they have incurable cancer and actually believes it.

Muawijhe

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yikes, that's horrible! Like a Munchausen By Proxy with a little financial benefit on the side.

"You're sick and dying, Timmy. Now act like it. Momma has to go get her plastic surgery now."

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Whenever I hear about a story like this, I really WANT to believe in the power of karma, and that a few years down the road, her doctors will find an inoperable tumor that just doesn't respond to all the chemotherapy.

Sort of the ultimate "Boy who cried wolf" story...

Anyway, Ms. Kirilow will have plenty of time to think about how her ruse hurt those around her while she's in prison... hopefully for a long time following her guilty plea. Not to mention the nearly universal enmity she'll continue to face from all those around her who now understand what a despicable human being she is.