McD's manager sues for getting fat and wins

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
McD should extend an offer to the court to take the $17,500 and use it toward a weight-reduction program for the plaintiff. It would be amusing to see this conclude with a court-mandated daily run time of 5:30am.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
The 32-year-old man said he felt forced to sample the food each day to ensure quality standards remained high, because McDonald’s hired “mystery clients” to randomly visit restaurants and report on the food, service and cleanliness.

How much sampling was this tool doing? It would have been cool if they did mandate what you said Corky. LOL

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wine tasters don't swallow the wine they taste.
Noone made him scarf down the entire McD menu on a daily basis.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
That reminds me, there was a story some years back about a guy who was fired from a major brewery for being intoxicated on the job. He filed a suit against the brewery, claiming that their policy of allowing employees a certain allocation of free beer per week? month? contributed to his alcoholism. Don't remember if he won that case or not, but I imagine the brewery revised the free beer policy in order to CYA. So all the other employees know who to thank for that.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://newsone.com/world/associated...r-making-him-too-fat-and-wins/comment-page-1/

Thoughts? Think we will see lawsuits like this happen here in the US now?

What a bunch of ********! This is simply another case of someone who has zero self control and doesnt have the backbone to take resonsibility for their own actions. I highly doubt someone held a gun to this guys head, forcing him to eat McD's every day.

If I slip and fall on my *** while walking into McD's because I was careless and ignored the "Caution: Wet Floor" signs, who's fault is that? If there was no signs, the floor wet, nobody doing anything to clean it, who's fault is that?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If he really had to sample the food every day as a part of corporate policy, then I'd sympathize to a point. If he just felt he had to, then not so much.

But it does add up. My mother managed a store for a national chocolate franchise and she was required to sample everything on the menu. Not every day, but enough that she put on a significant of weight over ten years. It is a legitimate issue. At least she got good health care benefits, thank goodness.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hard to say on this. I think fast food joints and multinational corporations do bear a certain amount of responsibility for the obesity problems we have. On the other hand the guy could have tried stuff to make his situation better. I was burned on the tongue once by a french vanilla cappucino I bought at tim horton's. They make their stuff insanely hot, more so than other places. I didnt know that and got burned. I didnt sue. I double cup from now on and ask for a drop of nice cold milk now before they hand it over. I do think they should cut down on the insanely hot drinks! But there were things I could do from now on too. Ditto for the mcdonald's too I think.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry -- but I disagree. You can be required to sample the food, and still maintain a healthy weight & diet. Sample does not mean, for example, eating an entire Big Mac or a carton of fries. Sampling chocolates means tasting one or a couple along the way, not eating a pound a day. And no sampling requirement prevents you from adjusting your diet off the clock to account for the additional calories, or exercising more to offset it.

And the free lunch? That's as much a recognition that employees are liable to do it anyway as a convenience to the employees. But nothing forced him to eat it... And, by doing so, all he proved is There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Having worked at a McDonalds less than 2 years ago I can tell you that employees had to PAY for their meals... full price too. While it largely depends upon the franchise owner, it is generally the same store to store.

But reading the topic line just nearly had me blowing a gasket. It's STUPID **** like this awarded by judges that makes doing ANYTHING in this country scary to do because you just might get sued for it.

A few of the managers that I worked with were either overweight or obese to begin with. Just because you ate there isn't going to make you fat. Like JKS said nobody is forcing you to eat otherwise when you're off the clock and thus with attention to the body one can stay thin while working at a junk food place.

Again this just pisses me off that someone has tried something like this and actually won in a court of law. I'm not going to blame the fat guy I'm going to blame the stupid judge for actually not tossing the case out of his courtroom.
The guy got fat because he didn't maintain his diet and exercise like he COULD have if he weren't so damned lazy and gluttonous to begin with!!!

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why did Mcdonald's not use this as a sample:

Morgan used nutritional information downloaded from McDonald’s Web site to create meal plans of no more than 1,400 calories a day. She only ate french fries twice, usually choosing burgers and salads. Those choices are a stark contrast with those made by Spurlock, who ate every menu item at least once.
At the end of the 90 days, she had dropped from 227 to 190 pounds.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8916080/
he felt forced to sample the food each day to ensure quality standards remained high,
It is not to difficult to microwave a Hamburger. I am sure all Hamburgers taste the same unless you microwave it higher or lower or leave the patties out. So saying you had to eat a Hamburger every hour is just a weak excuse.

The man also said the company offered free lunches to employees, adding to his caloric intake while on the job

1.Did not have to eat it and could have brought his own food from home.
2. He could have eaten something semi-healthy or ate half and ate healthy meals the rest of the day.

I worked once at a doughnut shop as a kid I could have as much doughnuts as I want. I only ate 1-5 dougnuts a week, exercised, walked to work and ate fish,fruit,vegetables mostly.

I did not gain weight. I tested the food as in Take a bite.I had moderation

Mcdonald's should appeal it and present evidence showing that the man's actions were clearly his own and misinterpretation of Mcdonald's intent.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whats pathetic is that the courts actually entertain this stuff.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why did Mcdonald's not use this as a sample:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8916080/
It is not to difficult to microwave a Hamburger. I am sure all Hamburgers taste the same unless you microwave it higher or lower or leave the patties out. So saying you had to eat a Hamburger every hour is just a weak excuse.
Not to mention pathetic.

1.Did not have to eat it and could have brought his own food from home.
2. He could have eaten something semi-healthy or ate half and ate healthy meals the rest of the day.
Oh did the guy ever try one of the SALADS that McDonald's offers?? Hmm oddly not. Guess the guy is just a pure carnivore huh?

I worked once at a doughnut shop as a kid I could have as much doughnuts as I want. I only ate 1-5 doughnuts a week, exercised, walked to work and ate fish,fruit,vegetables mostly.

I did not gain weight. I tested the food as in Take a bite. I had moderation
That's the ticket right there.

Mcdonald's should appeal it and present evidence showing that the man's actions were clearly his own and misinterpretation of Mcdonald's intent.
Apparently McDonald's corporation hires lawyers as smart as the manager in question. Did any of the OTHER employees get fat?

Whats pathetic is that the courts actually entertain this stuff.
What I said earlier... is why it pisses me off. That stupid "hot coffee" litigation award probably is what started this idiotic sue anything and everybody.
I read somewhere that in England a woman tried to sue (McDonalds) because she spilt hot tea on herself and wasn't warned. That particular judge threw it out of his courtroom, telling the woman that she was stupid for trying the same stunt, knowing full well the difference between hot and ICED tea.
Why aren't some American judges this brilliant?

Latest Discussions