This is why I will never claim to be a tough guy

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are there any women involved or is this men only ( well, it says Dog Brothers)
There are some, but I don't know how many.

Rules are that women can't fight men with the sticks, for safety reasons. Male vs female matches with training knives are okay, since that doesn't have to be so full contact. I've seen one woman in a previous video who was absolutely dominating guys in knife vs knife matches.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Rules are that women can't fight men with the sticks, for safety reasons.
Note - this just applies to the "gatherings" which are official full-contact events like the one shown in my original video. Women can spar with men in regular training.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Are there any women involved or is this men only ( well, it says Dog Brothers)

There are some, not many. I have been to three US Gatherings and I have only seen two women participating, so the percentage is extremely low.

In the vein of "don't take this too seriously," the name of what was at the time a backyard training group was taken from a line in a Conan comic book.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yeah, weapon vs weapon duels are something we don't see so much of in this day and age in 1st world countries. Probably just as well. I'd rather it be something that people can practice for the love of the art rather than as a necessity for getting home safely.

If you don't want to practice weapon dueling, you are welcome to step out on the floor unarmed to try your counter weapon skills. We get a couple of those every year. And it is quite common for guys to lose their sticks (or knives) during bouts, so again asymmetric matches happen fairly regularly. Fighters are actively encouraged not to make it a gentleman's duel, if you disarm the other guy you are supposed to keep beating on him until he gives up or he stops the beating.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you don't want to practice weapon dueling, you are welcome to step out on the floor unarmed to try your counter weapon skills. We get a couple of those every year. And it is quite common for guys to lose their sticks (or knives) during bouts, so again asymmetric matches happen fairly regularly. Fighters are actively encouraged not to make it a gentleman's duel, if you disarm the other guy you are supposed to keep beating on him until he gives up or he stops the beating.
now that sounds more realistic then the two guys with a stick.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
What would the women be called, b****es? Technically speaking, that is a female dog.
Actually, yes. There was an attempt to use "cat" to avoid the issue, but it seems the women are claiming "*****" instead. The one woman is saw get elevated took "wicked *****" as a name.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
This looks interesting and overall something that requires tons of skill and discipline, but I can't see myself doing this because I'm more interested in hand to hand. They train in stick fighting in the dojo I go to, since it combines escrima and philipino arts into kenpo, but they use padded sticks for it.

I can imagine how bad a wooden one must hurt.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Blindside,

One more stupid question, if I may...

Why do you keep capitalizing the g in "Gatherings?"

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Blindside,

One more stupid question, if I may...

Why do you keep capitalizing the g in "Gatherings?"

Because it is a proper noun, the Dog Brother fight days are called some variation of "Open Gathering" or "Tribal Gathering" or simply shortened to "the Gathering" and though it appears to be a common noun it actual refers to a particular annual event. It doesn't simply refer to a group of Dog Brothers members getting together to train, that would be a "gathering."

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What on earth is with the censoring of the word for a female dog? Good grief, that's just plain silly.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have done a fair amount of stick sparing with helmet, gloves and with PADDED sticks. But not with stand up clinches and knees added it. I don't see why you would risk injury - sticks can break bones. If you want to compete WEKAF is a good place.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I have done a fair amount of stick sparing with helmet, gloves and with PADDED sticks. But not with stand up clinches and knees added it. I don't see why you would risk injury - sticks can break bones. If you want to compete WEKAF is a good place.

Sticks, even these rattan sticks can most certainly break bones, in this format it is most commonly hands. Most of our class sparring is done with padded sticks, though I now have several students who prefer using light rattan instead. As to why some choose to risk this kind of full contact fighting, well, again the reasons vary. For me I need to test to see if this stuff that I as a student have learned and as an instructor I teach works. And as a testing format for an actual unarmored duel WEKAF absolutely sucks. All training is not real, I understand that, but the DB format is about as close to reality as I am willing to take it. And risk is part of the testing, can I make this work under an adrenal dump? What disarms can I pull off? Grappling with knives involved, that is a not fun range. But mostly I need to fight guys who aren't from my class, I need to fight strangers with different styles and different approaches. Also for me it gives me something to work for, a little added incentive to not slack off in my training and to make sure I am in shape for.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What on earth is with the censoring of the word for a female dog? Good grief, that's just plain silly.

Because bitches is most commonly used as a derogatory term rather than its technical meaning. I censored it because I figured it would get rejected by the monitoring program. I guess not.

BigJavi973

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Every time I think of stick fighting, Master Ken's voice gets in my head...

giphy.gif

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Some pretty sweet matches there. Scoring a takedown in armed sparring is hard.

The metal sword sparring is just nuts. I wouldn't do that without having some kind of chain mail on.

Don't knock it till you've tried it! ☺ I've competed a fair amount and have had no serious injuries from swords from full-contact sparring with steel, though proper equipment is a must. I will say that chain mail is not sufficient protection. Modern HEMA gear, while still evolving, is far more protective.

I've had far worse injuries from unarmed training.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Having sparred many times with just a fencing helmet, gloves, elbow and knee pads I have never had a significant injury. Nor have any of my students. We all have however suffered serious and I mean serious bruising that goes straight to the bone and takes a week or two to heal. We have had some flash knock outs. It is full contact after all. Yet, most of the time everyone walks away with just some bruises and feeling good about testing their skill sets.

Here is a video:

Now one of the truths of sparring with rattan is that they are training sticks. They are not a combative hard wood stick like Kamagong that will break your wrist/hand with a decent strike. A lot of the times with rattan someone can take a shot or two or three and then proceed into a takedown as long as their head is protected. Those same shots with kamagong or any hardwood would more than likely be fight ending shots.

MaxRob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In pure self defence finding a stick can be' a geat asset, but also a disaster if one does not know how to use it, takes much training to really stick fight.
As an improvised weapon , I would not attack with the stick first but use it as a follow up giving the finishing blow.however use of excessive force may apply sometimes and one may find oneself on the wrong side of the law

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score

The horrible b.. b-word might seriously harm someone for life Tez! Unlike knife fighting :rolleyes:

Latest Discussions