This is why I will never claim to be a tough guy

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I've done stick fighting with heavy sticks and heavy protective gear. I've done stick fighting with light sticks and light protective gear.

These guys use heavy sticks and minimal protective gear, not to mention full-contact knees, elbows, and head butts as well as takedowns and groundfighting on a hard wood floor.

I'm glad someone is out there doing this sort of testing of what works. I'm even more glad that it isn't me.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I've done stick fighting with heavy sticks and heavy protective gear. I've done stick fighting with light sticks and light protective gear.

These guys use heavy sticks and minimal protective gear, not to mention full-contact knees, elbows, and head butts as well as takedowns and groundfighting on a hard wood floor.

I'm glad someone is out there doing this sort of testing of what works. I'm even more glad that it isn't me.
From what I can tell in the videos that I've seen, there seems to be a higher level of control of ones aggression than what is found in MMA. The metal sword sparring is just nuts. I wouldn't do that without having some kind of chain mail on. Based on how long it takes for me to heal from my injuries in my system I don't think I could heal fast enough to do a sport like this to enjoy it.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What Jow Ga said. ...DBMA is definitely cool, but the full-on stuff at the gatherings is definitely a young man's sport, and something you could only do every so often. So, at this point I'll learn by watching!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Here are a couple of guys that take it up a notch or two higher --if you can believe it. No protection at all:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I can tell in the videos that I've seen, there seems to be a higher level of control of ones aggression than what is found in MMA. The metal sword sparring is just nuts. I wouldn't do that without having some kind of chain mail on. Based on how long it takes for me to heal from my injuries in my system I don't think I could heal fast enough to do a sport like this to enjoy it.

To be fair though MMA is a very different thing. For one thing 'passivity' is marked down by the judges and the ref will warn a fighter if she thinks the fighter isn't trying. Aggression is controlled in MMA, you can't work to a fight plan if it's not, it may however look as if it's not for the benefit of the paying spectators and for the judges but many fighters actually have ice water in their veins when fighting.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of guys that take it up a notch or two higher --if you can believe it. No protection at all:

Somehow I guessed those would be Sayoc guys before I even played the video.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

That's nuts. Sooo many things could have gone wrong there, like a freaking stick in the eye from the ground. Seems like a lot to risk

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The dog brothers are something I've always wanted to get involved with, but unfortunately could never find a group in new york. As for the second video, I can't even imagine trying stick fighting without fencing masks or at the very least goggles. Definitely not worth it in the long run.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
What Jow Ga said. ...DBMA is definitely cool, but the full-on stuff at the gatherings is definitely a young man's sport, and something you could only do every so often. So, at this point I'll learn by watching!

I started going at 41, at last September's Gathering I lined up against a guy who I was twice as old as. :D Actually the best match that I have had there was against a 51 year old, this is a pic of us, (he is the ridiculously buff guy), and he is coming to the Tribal Gathering in a couple of months as a 53 year old.
883050_10152761707078281_6953219601959482618_o.jpg
But nobody does this regularly, we train lighter in our daily training.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So what is this supposed to be exactly? Seems like you get a nickname with the word "dog" in it then beat each other with sticks and call yourself a warrior?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
So what is this supposed to be exactly? Seems like you get a nickname with the word "dog" in it then beat each other with sticks and call yourself a warrior?
I don't call myself a warrior. This isn't warfare, it is ritual dueling, I use it as a test of my skills of the techniques that I teach. Other people may do it for different reasons.

The "dog" nicknames are silly and if you look at the names you can see that many of the nicknames are humorous. They are given to those who have demonstrated their skills over multiple Gatherings. This is a peer award, and should I actually earn one I would be pretty happy about it.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't call myself a warrior. This isn't warfare, it is ritual dueling,
Not saying you were its just at the top of the web page you posted "walk as a warrior for all your days"
I use it as a test of my skills of the techniques that I teach. Other people may do it for different reasons.
There is a technique to that stuff it looked like jump around swing wild
The "dog" nicknames are silly, but they are given to those who have demonstrated their skills over multiple Gatherings. This is a peer award, and should I actually earn one I would be pretty happy about it.
oookkkkkkk whatever floats your boat

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes, there is absolutely technique in these, and the guys who have better technique win more often. If you can point out better technique from someone doing low or no armor stick sparring I would like to see it. Though to be fair to the Gatherings, many of these may not necessarily be great stick fighters. The DBs Open Gatherings are open to anyone who wants to come play and so you get everything from guys who picked up a stick last month to guys who have been swinging a stick for 20 years. It can be a very mixed bag.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes, there is absolutely technique in these, and the guys who have better technique win more often. If you can point out better technique from someone doing low or no armor stick sparring I would like to see it.
OK if you say so I didnt see much "technique" in the video posted or on the website but hey it looks fun I guess.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Quite a lot of technique if you know what to look for.
perhaps can't say I've trained in stick sparring. In fact in 15 years police work can't say I've even seen 2 people with sticks fight in real life so other than having fun training im not sure there is even a need. I disagree with the claim that its "reality based MMA" according to the one school I found closest to me I see little reality in those clips that were posted. Although I have actually hit people in real life with a "stick" well a baton so I do have some experience with the "technique" and hopefully it looked more controlled then that.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In fact in 15 years police work can't say I've even seen 2 people with sticks fight in real life so other than having fun training im not sure there is even a need.
Yeah, weapon vs weapon duels are something we don't see so much of in this day and age in 1st world countries. Probably just as well. I'd rather it be something that people can practice for the love of the art rather than as a necessity for getting home safely.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are there any women involved or is this men only ( well, it says Dog Brothers)

Latest Discussions