This crap just pisses me off.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its morons like this that make me ashamed to be a Christian.

Christian Children's Fund turned down a 17,000 donation designed to help feed starving children raised at a charity auction held by the Convention Organizers for the Gen Con gaming convention citing that they didn't want the conventions money. The money was apparently tainted because it was raised in part by the sale of Dungeons and Dragons books.

How many children are going unfed, because some *******(s) can't set aside their prejudice against a freaking book?

Sickens me.

The convention organizers instead turned the money over to Fisher House Foundation for the families of America's military personell, who were more than happy to have the funding.

As has been reported by a few other gaming blogs and news sites, the Charity Auction at this year's GenCon Indianapolis was held to benefit Gary Gygax's favorite charity, which I will not name here for reasons that will soon become obvious. The fine folks at GenCon raised over $17,000 for this charity, which helps starving children in impovershed areas of the world--only to have that money actually turned down by the charity. The charity refused due to the fact that the money was raised partly by the sales of Dungeons and Dragons materials, which as we all know, puts an irrevocable taint of evil on the filthy lucre that us demon-worshipping gamers might want to use to, say, donate to starving children. Not only is this a slap in the face to every gamer, but it is especially insulting to Mr. Gygax himself, who I understand donated to their cause many times over the years. Plus, I'm sure the children who would have gotten food or clean drinking water with that money would be sort of upset, too.

After recieving some flack for their decision, A CCF spokesperson stated they simply didnt want to be associated with the Convention but

This decision should in no way be interpreted as CCF holding an opinion on Mr. Gygax, gaming enthusiasts or the game Dungeons and Dragons.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea let be all rightous and let cjildern sarve great choice *******s

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The last great bastion and reliable charity for children is now defiled via self-inflictment. As far as I'm concerned the people who made this decision are just as guilty of starving those children as anyone.

What a ridiculous decision. Shame on them.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
****ed-up obsessed paranoids living in what Carl Sagan beautifully captured in the title of his last book, The Demon-haunted World. These are the same kinds of people who view juggling as evidence of demonic possession—I'm not making this up, I've heard stuff like that from the mouths of just these types.

In his wonderful crypographic/detective novel, The Name of the Rose, Umberto Eco's protagonist, William of Baskerville (an 11th century precursor of Sherlock Holmes, natch!) makes the wonderful point that often, the place to look for the source of evil is in those who are obsessed with exterminating it by any means necessary. I hear an echo of that truth every time I read something like this.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cursses and drat! There goes our evil plan to contaminate the christian community and innocent children with our infectious demon-tainted cash, turning you all into gibbering helspawn.
You might have won this small battle but your weak efforts won`t stop us from seducing your children into rolling the polyhedral satanic dice mwuhahaha!

Cirdan, servant of the Dark Lord of Nessus
smiley_devil.gif

by the way, anyone remember this old classic?
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

Last edited:

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
You know, I could understand turning down a donation of stolen money that was known to be stolen. There would be no point in taking the money to give to the children since it would all be taken back to its rightful owner, who would then be able to make the decision to donate the money themselves.

That's really the only reason I could see for turning down a donation to save children.

The donation was obviously made with the best intentions and the childrens' best interest at heart, so who cares who makes the donation????

I wonder how Christian they feel right now....

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A lot of people who think they're righteous are nothing more than self-righteous. And self-righteousness often has a punitive aspect. Not just, holier than thou, but holier than thou and I'm gonna make you hurt, to show you just how much holier. Doesn't necessarily matter who's being hurt, either. That kind of vindictive assertion of superior virtue just needs to hurt someone. In this case, of course, it's ultimately directed at the kids these yahoos were supposed to be helping.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
17 grand?? That's a lot of doritos and mountain dew!

Ah well, more for me, in my basement, with my 17th level elf wizard....gamers aren't corrupting anyone...we don't get out enough..

:)

Seriously, what a bunch of hyporcritical, self-righteous, short-sighted f'ing morons...

Peace,
Erik

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Were they worried that they might later lose larger donations from Christian individuals and orgs. that would shun them because of this association?

As an ex-AD&Der, it all seems rather silly to me. We were sitting in a friend's garage rolling dice when others were out...well, doing some of the things we were talking about! (Pass the mead...)

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Were they worried that they might later lose larger donations from Christian individuals and orgs. that would shun them because of this association?

As an ex-AD&Der, it all seems rather silly to me. We were sitting in a friend's garage rolling dice when others were out...well, doing some of the things we were talking about! (Pass the mead...)

Dungeons and Dragons, magical fantasy, and all that sort of thing are nothing other than exercises in imagination—suppose the world were really like this; what would happen then—what are the possibilities? One of the really clever things about Rowling's Harry Potter epic is that she envisages both enormous power to affect the world, via magic, but also many rules and constraints that are built in, so that the magical world becomes a huge exercise in problem-solving: we can apparate, but not into or out or on the grounds of Hogwarts—so how are we going to do such-and-such? That sort of thing. And the solutions are typically really ingenious, like a brilliant chess game. All fantasy games of this sort are just that—efforts to use special powers and gifts within the context of certain restricting rules. How anyone can see such exercises in imagination-within-the-context-of-rules as spiritually dangerous—even remotely!—is beyond me, but one thing we know: people who fear imagination and the play of imagination will stop at nothing to suppress it.

This is just one more example of how much damage people are willing to do in the name of an absurd concept of inhuman 'purity'. Human beings fantasize about the world, they play games, they try on alternate identities. That's who we are. People hostile to that are really expressing hostility to core human nature, period. And from that, history shows us repeatedly, come the worst things...

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think that is a crock of @#$%. Keeping money from starving children is just stupid.

I am going to give an example it is not always the church but the people in the churches own personal convictions.

I have two uncles the leaders of two seperate churches. One of them is a pastor one a priest.

One of them reads Harry Potter, Eragon, and played D&D when he was younger. He takes the approach there is nothing wrong with imagination. Heck he says you have more of a chance being killed in a car crash or being car jacked than you do having something from one of those books or games ever causing someone to be evil.

The other condems all of those things. Says they are evil, says they are the work of the devil and all who reads them is pretty much going to go to hell if they don't beg for forgiveness.

Guess which one is methodist and which one is catholic?

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
What was that post in the other thread about "charity" equating to "evolution"? LOL

I can't believe there are still religous organizations that associate Role Playing with Satanism.

...ridiculous.

But then, I've never been able to fathom how a church can spend millions to build a bigger steeple when folks in their community struggle to feed and clothe their children even though they work 2 jobs and the elderly are cutting their meds in half so they can afford to buy a can of dog food to eat for supper. :angry:

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
...by the way, anyone remember this old classic?
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp

God damn (oops, shouldn't have said that, I'm really ****ed now). I remember when people used to hand out Chick tracks all the time downtown. I know that they are indicative of a very warped view of non-Christian society, but I'm sorry, they're so rediculous that I can't help but laugh.
But seriously folks, it's a sad state when the most popular faith in the USA churns out a bunch of ignorant sheep and only a few who are actually looking for something positive and spiritual. Hell, even good people who are of the Christian faith believe this stuff because their pastor tells them it is "the word of God" and they simply haven't looked into it for themselves. Sigh.
Rant over.

Last edited:

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am going to give an example it is not always the church but the people in the churches own personal convictions.

I have two uncles the leaders of two seperate churches. One of them is a pastor one a priest.

One of them reads Harry Potter, Eragon, and played D&D when he was younger. He takes the approach there is nothing wrong with imagination. Heck he says you have more of a chance being killed in a car crash or being car jacked than you do having something from one of those books or games ever causing someone to be evil.

The other condems all of those things. Says they are evil, says they are the work of the devil and all who reads them is pretty much going to go to hell if they don't beg for forgiveness.

Guess which one is methodist and which one is catholic?

I was going to go there but the reality is that there are some really cool protestants and some really ignorant catholics out there. You're right, though. For the most part it's really not the religion itself, it's the all to often negative way in which people embrace it.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is almost funny if it wasn`t for the fact it is how things work in some deeply disturbed minds.
http://www.chick.com/articles/dnd.asp

This guy for a fact believes that the spells you cast in the game works! If you play a wizard you will become a real world magician. Holy ****! I played a Warlock for years before hanging up my dice bag, perhaps I still posess the skills to summon up demons from the great Abyss? After work I will have to draw the mystic circle on the floor of my apartment and light the candles......
magic.gif
thumb_3422_image1_gobblit-money-monster-1.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Discussions