Thinking outside the box

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Eraser
Do you also plan in the case where when you apply a move, wether it be a block, joint lock ect.. and the attacker doesn't react the same as the students do in the class room.. do you study countermoves for those instances.. What if a move or tecnique doesn't work???? Then What??

Of Course, Eraser. We in American Kenpo have 3 Phases of the Art that we Study.
1) the "Ideal Phase", (the initial "Perfect" phase where we
execute the proper response and the opponent reacts
exactly as expected).
2) The "What If Phase", (the phase you are talking about where
you consider other possibilities that may alter the outcome of
the original movement.
3) The "Formulation" Phase where you are able to
extemporaneously execute actions based upon your prior
logical training.

That is what Makes Kenpo so Unique the fact that we use the White Dot System and consider all factors of the moment.
:asian:

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
There is also what I call the "Run like Hell" Phase.
Seriously, Mr. C would not steer you wrong. One of the things I teach people in my "introductory" courses is that your main objective is to get away relatively unharmed. Nail 'em and run.:asian:

OP
T

tonbo

Hehe, Seig.....

We had an instructor that used to drill a phone number in our heads: the number for a pizza delivery service (Domino's). The reason that he did this is to remind us that, in a confrontation, we should be looking to get *out* of the situation. We should use what we need to in order to put our opponent down. Then we should call the pizza place and the police, so that we can get pizza delivered when the police arrive.

Yeah, it was a joke, but the point was to get to the place where you could actually *call* for pizza; i.e., get the hell out of there, don't stick around for heroics. Get 'em off you, and get out of the area.

An old roommate of mine, who was in the military, used to call that "Un-a**ing the area of operations" or "U-Aing the AO". Me, I referred to it as being skilled in the art of Nike-do. :D

And although I haven't used the pizza delivery service in years, I will always remember the phone number. It is 52*-333*. hehe. :D

Peace--

OP
T

tonbo

Hey, I feel your pain.....

My lovely wife is taking me out for sushi tonight (Mmmmm....I could eat sushi every day!!!), in about 4 hours.......

Still have an hour to go at work and a couple of hours of stick practice at the studio to go.....and I can feel my tummy rumbling already.....:wah:

Ah, well. That which fails to kill us, only makes us stronger.

I'll order extra sushi in honor of you guys tonight. Deal?

:D

Peace--

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bonehead

how many times times have we heard or even said that is not how I was taught the technique.

I'm only 5 ft 2 ins tall, and there arent many techniques that I do the way I was taught them.

The "thinking outside the box" for me is when I have a student who is over 6 ft tall, and I have to teach a technique from his point of view. Longer reach, different angles, etc :)

Les

OP
T

tonbo

:rofl:

Proctology may be a necessary profession, however.....

....What would inspire you to actually WANT to do that job??

And can you imagine what the trade publications are like? :eek:

Makes me glad that isn't my job. I have to deal with enough a$$ho**s every day as it is......:D

Peace--

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

if that is true....... wouldn't it suck to be a proctologist!!:moon:

Actually, it would suck to be a proctologist that was a kiss ***!!!:rofl:

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Jason ,,,,,,,, you need help
:rofl:

LOL....Gou been so busy in Russia and hasn't been around so somebody's gotta take up the slack...

jb:p

Latest Discussions