Thinking of Taking up TKD

DustinJolley

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me what I should expect? Can you get those really cool uniforms with the black striping on the lapel before you get your black belt, or do you have to wait until you get your black belt to do that? How much should I expect to pay? Etc...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me what I should expect? Can you get those really cool uniforms with the black striping on the lapel before you get your black belt, or do you have to wait until you get your black belt to do that? How much should I expect to pay? Etc...

Talk to as many schools in your area as you can. Ask questions like price, how many classes a week, focus of the school (self-defense, tournament sparring, forms, etc.) contracts or monthly tuition, etc. If you ask any one of us about price, you'll get a different answer. Terry1965 runs a full time comercial school. He going to have one price comparative to schools like it in his town. I run a part time non-profit school. My price is less than any comercial school in my town, but I only teach twice a week.

All the best in your search.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Talk to as many schools in your area as you can. Ask questions like price, how many classes a week, focus of the school (self-defense, tournament sparring, forms, etc.) contracts or monthly tuition, etc. If you ask any one of us about price, you'll get a different answer. Terry1965 runs a full time comercial school. He going to have one price comparative to schools like it in his town. I run a part time non-profit school. My price is less than any comercial school in my town, but I only teach twice a week.

All the best in your search.

As Iceman said, most of this - especially the pricing - will vary from school to school. The black trim is, generally, reserved for black belts, and in some associations, only for those who reach a certain level of black belt; in my association, for example, black trim down the legs of the pants is reserved for IV Dan and above. But other schools may be different.

DustinJolley

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That's very interesting, Kacey. However, I've seen pictures of people, both kids and adults who weren't yet black belts who were wearing the uniforms with the black striped lapels. So, I assume that means that they were probably members of the Black Belt Club at their martial arts schools. Any thing else?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's very interesting, Kacey. However, I've seen pictures of people, both kids and adults who weren't yet black belts who were wearing the uniforms with the black striped lapels. So, I assume that means that they were probably members of the Black Belt Club at their martial arts schools. Any thing else?

If it is the over-the-head tunic, rather than the wrap-around jacket, then the black neckline is one way they can be purchased. Were one of my non-BB students to show up in one, they would have to find another top... but then, we don't wear the over-the-head tunic anyway. As far as what you've seen - different strokes for different folks - but I've never heard of a black stripe around the neckline indicating a black belt club... a concept I have trouble with anyway; all of my students are future black belts, so why have a separate club for them? But that's a topic for another thread... of which there are several already on the board.

cbjr5

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You're never to late to start. A couple of month ago I thought the same thing. I'm 42 and had never done martial arts. You have some expierence behind you which I can only assume will help you. As for being fat, I was in the same boat as well as just recovering from a low back injury too. I started TKD in Feb and have lost weight, the streches we do actually have helped my back and I recently just got promoted to my next belt. I think you will enjoy it!!!!

texas_rebel_1980

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i just started TKD and hapkido. i am 30 years old, 6'4" and 370lbs. i felt too old and fat to start. my kids have been going to the school for three months now and watching them inspired me. i want to be alive when they reach black belt so i had to do something. i spoke with the instructor and we talked about what i want to get out of martial arts. he suggested i take his hapkido class, because of my line of work and he asked me to attend his advanced TKD class. i think he wanted me in the advanced class to be pushed by the older, higher ranked students. i thoroughly enjoy the butt kickings and am learning very fast. the workouts with the advanced TKD students kill me, i leave feeling like i was run over by a truck. my instructor tells me the black belts are impressed with how fast i learn and how atheletic i am, especially for my size. i know once i lose a good amount of weight and get my balance I will feel better about the whole thing.

the biggest challenge so far has been finding a dobak my size! my instructor is going through his connections and looking for me. a size 8 top doesn't even go over my shoulders. i am not just fat, but big as well!!!

Tony49

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just curious are they giving you a V-neck style. I have some big guys in my school and I typically have to buy the a Cross Over (Moo duk Kwan) style initially until they loos enough weight to fit a V-neck version.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
i just started TKD and hapkido. i am 30 years old, 6'4" and 370lbs. i felt too old and fat to start. my kids have been going to the school for three months now and watching them inspired me. i want to be alive when they reach black belt so i had to do something. i spoke with the instructor and we talked about what i want to get out of martial arts. he suggested i take his hapkido class, because of my line of work and he asked me to attend his advanced TKD class. i think he wanted me in the advanced class to be pushed by the older, higher ranked students. i thoroughly enjoy the butt kickings and am learning very fast. the workouts with the advanced TKD students kill me, i leave feeling like i was run over by a truck. my instructor tells me the black belts are impressed with how fast i learn and how atheletic i am, especially for my size. i know once i lose a good amount of weight and get my balance I will feel better about the whole thing.

the biggest challenge so far has been finding a dobak my size! my instructor is going through his connections and looking for me. a size 8 top doesn't even go over my shoulders. i am not just fat, but big as well!!!

Good on you for getting in to MA at that weight. It will benifit you. Be sure you train sensibly, as I expect you are, since you seem to have a lot folks at your dojo interested in you well being.

This is an old thread, but for any reading it later, you can see from some of the posts that age alone is no bar to learning MA or getting in shape. I started Hapkido in my mid-40s, but was in reasonale shape. Even so, it was difficult, especially the stretching, and yet that is one of the more important things to do.

So if you are interested, no matter your age, go for it. Don't worry about the shape you are in, as that will impove. Only do it sensibly, and if you aren't sure of your condition, check with your doctor.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Ask him if he has an account with Bold Look. They have uniforms that go up to size 10.

texas_rebel_1980

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
@Dancingalone--i will, thank you.

i do take it seriously. i love it. i have respected the martial arts even before. i enjoy sparring and grappling with the advanced belts and black belts and they say the enjoy it too because my size and strength is a challenge they haven't had in the dojang in a long time. i surprise us all and throw in some nice techniques and land sometimes!!! this is something i see myself doing for as long as i physically can. i am thirty now and told my wife i would like to achieve my first dan in ten years.is that a reasonable goal? one thing i find i am doing already is instead of a kihap, i will exhale sharply through my nose like a boxer when i strike. so far the instructor hasn't made any comment but i am sure he will as i try to advance.

and i am open to all advice as well. being new i want to hear everything i can and learn as much as possible.

edit: ah yes you said sensibly. definitely. i don't want an injury to impede my training already.

Last edited: