Thinking of muay thai

jda

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I've been training in TKD for 15 plus years and for reasons I won't go into here, am considering starting in a new art (new to me that is!). I'm a 53 year old, slightly over weight, strong, stubborn, man with a high tolerance for pain and a willingness to learn. My problem is time. I travel a lot for my job and can only make one maybe two classes a week. Is muay thai something I can practice alone between classes? I'm not looking to compete, but I do love full contact sparring and am not afraid to push myself in training. I apologize for my ignorance of your art but what little I do know it looks like fun!

Amattyc

White Belt
Reaction score
Do it! I've just started from a Karate background. The circuits will keep you fit and it's rather a different style of fighting from yours but your background will help. Most gyms offer sparing or non depending on what you want. Just get some wrist straps and also if you don't want to get hurt get pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have space for a heavy bag (preferably a banana bag) at home, then you can work on that by yourself every day. Also you can do shadowboxing and some conditioning drills. Other than that, most MT training involves a partner or coach for pad holding/drilling/sparring. Solo forms like you have in TKD aren't really a thing.

If you can make one or two classes per week and work on your conditioning the rest of the week, then you can make some reasonable progress, especially since you already have a background in a striking art. You won't get spectacular going that often, but you already know that. The same would be true for any art.

OP
jda

jda

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks. There's a school near me (St. Louis, MO) that offers a two week trial. I'll give it a shot and see if it will work for me.

OP
jda

jda

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Do it! I've just started from a Karate background. The circuits will keep you fit and it's rather a different style of fighting from yours but your background will help. Most gyms offer sparing or non depending on what you want. Just get some wrist straps and also if you don't want to get hurt get pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I'm going to have to look into it.

Latest Discussions