thinking of kenpo now

R

rmcrobertson

All's I can say is that there are probably more really terrible TKD, kenpo, BJJ and jeet kune do schools in Southern California than on the rest of the planet combined. And sorry, but DO NOT take muay thai; if the school's good, you'll bascially be doing an advanced version of kickboxing and you're going to get seriously dinged up--and while I don't know for sure, it's my suspicion that you're going to find it very hard to find a good school in this art. I can vouch for the kenpo schools I mentioned; if you can't do the travel because of school and work, I'd really try the shotokan school at your college. And, as mentioned, I'd just go visit the places you're considering, at this point.

At this point, just go try it. Look--and more importantly, take a few lessons at your college. What can it hurt? it's difficult to start studying a martial art--I considered it for years first--and unless you just go try, your brain is going to talk you out of everything.

I'd really say go try the college shotokan.

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
crysis said:
no, actually the club at UCR is taught by several instructors but the main master is 7th dan edmond otis

others include
5th dan kevin warner
5th dan john rellias
and 4th dan Nathan Scarano
Kevin Warner sounds familiar to me...and if I am correct he is from/was from Dalke's dojo. Maybe give them a look see.

OP
C

crysis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
he says hes been teaching 19 years at UCR

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
I'd add that you just MIGHT be able to find somebody extraordinary teaching one of the traditional Chinese arts, like real t'ai chi, in the area--but that'll be tough, because SoCal is the Land of the Phony, and you may not be able to distinguish good and bad. Still, if you happen to find some park in the Riverside area with a buncha old Chinese folks who have a teacher and do t'ai chi....not at ALL a bad choice.
rmcrobertson said:
As he says above, Tai chi might be a good choice. If you decide to look into that, Sifu Harvey Kurland teaches Tai Chi, Qi Gong, Ba Gua and other Chinese arts in the Inland Empire, and he bases his classes out of UCR and the local community centers. You can sign up for his classes through the Student Center on campus at UCR. He also has a website (below), athough they don't always keep it updated.

www.dotaichi.com/

Lastly, this Saturday is World Tai Chi day, and practioners will be performimg in parks and community centers, etc. all over the world at 10:00 am. It's one day you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a tai chi group. Here is a link to some information on the events:

http://www.energeticsforhealth.com/new_page_16.htm

Hope that helps you on your journey.....

-Garry

http://www.dotaichi.com/s

T

Trejo

I think kenpo karate is just the right martial art for you. There are forms and sets and 160 self defense techniques. Kenpo karate uses scientific theories and principles and applies them to fighting. You'll love learning brand new techniques and learning the most sophisticated self defense system. The learning curve never ends in kenpo and the self defense techniques are fascinating to learn! Kenpo karate is the like a science of fighting where you learn every angle to strike and how to utilize all your natural weapons in a street confrontation. The sets are designed to improve specific aspects of your basics and the forms are great for tournament competition.
Take American Kenpo Karate!
Good luck with your training

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
crysis said:
i want a new hobby that i can use to get in shape.

Take swimming, Tennis or even get friends together for beach volleyball fun in the sun workout

crysis said:
i figure the belt rankings are just the thing.

Get motivated quick and get yourself belts at your local Martial Arts supplies store. It cost 2.99 tax included.

crysis said:
post! information about average time between belts, belt system, techniques (linier to circular to whatever), belt tests, what to look for, what not to look for, ect ect.

If you need to know the time to get a black belt then chances are you're not ready for black belt. Get off the chair and visit these school, ask for some try out time. Observe the instructors and students on how well they work and train.

crysis said:
i also have a buddy that now teaches/helps classes as a shorin-ryu black belt. he suggested taekwondo in the US is pretty watered down and not very effective.

and your buddy has trained in how many TKD Schools to arrived at this baseless conclusion ????. There are good TKD school out there if you put a little effort and energy into your search

crysis said:
i'm not really looking for effectiveness so dont count it out.

Then why look into training in the martial arts ? take up running, its good cardio and its free, and good effective self defense

crysis said:
mainly, i want to know what kenpo is as far as style. from what i read, its more of a chinese style boxing (??) or something. searching doesnst really help me since i have no clue what kenpo is about or what to look for. just make it easier on me and tell me what i need.

So why do you want to study Kenpo ? Kenpo might cause you to workout, wear those Pajama thingie, make you chant some chinese / japanese gibberish, improved you , heck it might even raise your self esteem and confidence in a level that you don't want.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's often hard to articulate why martial arts is attractive to a person when that eprson doesn't study them yet. I appreciate crysis's attempts to do so!

OP
C

crysis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
It's often hard to articulate why martial arts is attractive to a person when that eprson doesn't study them yet. I appreciate crysis's attempts to do so!
thanks! i also appreciate all of your posts. theyve helped me a lot.

i was actually offered many times to take up martial arts with my dad as a child, out of his wallet. i never had interest up til now.

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have no idea of the geography of were you live. But if Hollywood is nearby you may find this school interesting http://www.shorinjikempohollywood.com/ .

I think you really should try a few and see how you feel after. If you walk away feeling that you have enjoyed the training and had some fun, you will be more inclined to keep doing it regardless of belts or rankings.

P

Pezzle

Blindside said:
OK, biased recommendations coming up here.

1. Avoid the ATA taekwondo place like the plague, I've never seen one that wasn't crap.
[size=-1]I Listen,[/size][size=-1]-[/size][size=-1]R[/size][size=-1]Inner Forearm Block (Muscle)[/size][size=-1]Pay Attention,[/size][size=-1]-[/size][size=-1]R[/size][size=-1]Side Kick[/size][size=-1]Follow Directions[/size][size=-1]-[/size][size=-1]R[/size][size=-1]Knifehand Strike[/size][size=-1]I'm a Karate Kid[/size][size=-1]-[/size][size=-1]L[/size][size=-1]Step back Right foot, Low Block[/size][size=-1]Yah![/size]

This made me laugh, dunno' why

http://www.atamadison.com/files/tt_sa1.html

OP
C

crysis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Pacificshore said:
Kevin Warner sounds familiar to me...and if I am correct he is from/was from Dalke's dojo. Maybe give them a look see.
i talked to my buddy george panaramandanama (or something..lol).. he was a pretty well known TKDist in the 80s...anyway he said Otis (head of UCR karate) was from dalkes dojo....he doesnt know where dalke went though.

OP
C

crysis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
http://www.allenkjacademy.com/

what can you guys tell me about this place just by looking...ive never heard of shinsho

this is in my area but i havent had the luxery of checking it out as it has been closed when i came to look.

R

rmcrobertson

Very nice looking website, not really all that impressed by their claims: they might be perfectly legit, but there are some of the classic martial arts BS signs.

Again, I recommend going to a class at your school and seeing if you like martial arts at all. If you can drive a little, Bob White down by the shore, or Larry Tatum or Steve Hearring in Pasadena are far more experienced as teachers than these guys.

You should go to the class, the dojo, or the studio. They will have an intro program that's pretty cheap; at this point, it looks rather as though you're "researching," to avoid just going.

Just go. Really.

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
"...it looks rather as though you're "researching," to avoid just going.

Just go. Really."
Crysis did say the place was closed when, he/she initially went to go check it out. How does this translate into avoidance? I don't get it. Oh well...

:idunno:

OP
C

crysis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
rmcrobertson said:
Very nice looking website, not really all that impressed by their claims: they might be perfectly legit, but there are some of the classic martial arts BS signs.

Again, I recommend going to a class at your school and seeing if you like martial arts at all. If you can drive a little, Bob White down by the shore, or Larry Tatum or Steve Hearring in Pasadena are far more experienced as teachers than these guys.

You should go to the class, the dojo, or the studio. They will have an intro program that's pretty cheap; at this point, it looks rather as though you're "researching," to avoid just going.

Just go. Really.
ive actually checked out all these places with exception to the 'kenpo/jujitsu' place. i enjoy watching and i think i could hang. problem with doing classes right now is im out for 3-4 more weeks recovering from a boxer's/hand break (paintball related).

im definately not avoiding but research is all i can do right now. ive been checking out classes, looking online, and researching styles but still cannot decide on the style i want. so far, shotokan seems most promising...i have yet to watch a "shinsho" (kenpo/jujitsu) class.

Bode

Green Belt
Reaction score
You should definetly watch a Kenpo class before deciding. Many posts have already listed some in the area.

The school I train at is in Torrance, CA. If you are interested in stopping in send me a message. Even if you have no intention of joining I encourage you to stop by and at least get a different perspective. Class times are Teus and Thurs 8pm - 12am. Saturday 2:30pm - 8pm.
With the schedule being later in the night you can avoid most traffic.
Either way, good luck!

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
crysis said:
it was suggested to me by a few people on MT so i wanted to learn a bit more about it.. kickboxing doesnt really appeal to me. as you said in another of my posts, if i dont stick with it its worthless.. i want something that i could see myself enjoying for years/a life time. raquetball, kickboxing (although very ..'scenic' wont do me anygood due to the fact that i'm already with the girl i want to marry) dont appeal to me. theres a BJJ class that offers muy thai as part of the curriculum i think ...but was never in to wrestling as said before.... honestly im putting my eggs towards either:

kenpo
shotokan
or taekwondo

...thing is the only classes of tkd i knwo of are ATA or a WTF form of tkd. from what i hear wtf is the more sport oriented one.

Kenpo is a very effective form of self defense, though the level of conditioning depends on the instructors and school. You can do Kenpo and not be in terrific shape, though it helps to have some stamina. From what you've said, I'd recommend the mixed martial art (MMA) school that combines Muay Thai and BJJ. I know you don't like wrestling, but I have a feeling that's a opinion not formed from experience. Once you get over the initial discomforts of grappling I suspect you'll learn to like it a lot, if you've got a competitive spirit. Conditioning is a must for these systems and you'll get good defense skills as well. Genuine kickboxing can also be quite good, as long as it's not tae bo or "cardio" kickboxing.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
crysis said:
ive actually checked out all these places with exception to the 'kenpo/jujitsu' place. i enjoy watching and i think i could hang. problem with doing classes right now is im out for 3-4 more weeks recovering from a boxer's/hand break (paintball related).

im definately not avoiding but research is all i can do right now. ive been checking out classes, looking online, and researching styles but still cannot decide on the style i want. so far, shotokan seems most promising...i have yet to watch a "shinsho" (kenpo/jujitsu) class.

Well, seeing that you have an injury, it would be best to wait until it's fully healed before you begin any training.

I notice that you said that you checked out some schools. Have you decided on anything?

Mike

OP
C

crysis

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
looking at shotokan or, if i can find a good TKD school ill pick between. also gonna look in to the kenpo/jujitsu school (i scheduled an appointment for the 17th.)

Latest Discussions