american kenpo rookie

A

A.KENPO>

I'am new to american kenpo. I study in a dojo in northern Arkansas. I was wondering the future in kenpo. I was a boxer before i started kenpo, where i was told how to block and punch in totally diffrent ways for the same attack. I'am a one stripe white belt so i am open to any thoughts you might have for me. I am also intrested in full contact events and comps. i was wondering if there are any competitions in my area i can check out.

-Jason

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, the blocking and punching will be slightly different between the two. I suggest getting used to the way the basics are done at your Kenpo school first. Attempting to do two things at once or attempting to mix at this stage can lead to some confusion. However, I see nothing wrong with taking a look at the boxing, again, once you're familiar with the Kenpo. Adding something to your art will certainly not hurt it, but only help it.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22115

Here is a thread on a related topic.

Mike

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, the blocking and punching will be slightly different between the two. I suggest getting used to the way the basics are done at your Kenpo school first. Attempting to do two things at once or attempting to mix at this stage can lead to some confusion. However, I see nothing wrong with taking a look at the boxing, again, once you're familiar with the Kenpo. Adding something to your art will certainly not hurt it, but only help it.
I have to agree with that.

Latest Discussions