Things about the martial fist

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless your guitar teacher wants you using the pads of your fingers.
I wasn't aware that was a thing in classical guitar. It's how I taught myself fingerstyle, because I've never had long enough nails to use them.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do different types of gloves change the fist and wrist alignment and in what manner?
nice. again another one that I didn't think of. Thanks for the help. This question alone could be pages long.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One I haven't thought of (we keep all nails really short in grappling, of course). Definitely a concern for those who like longer nails (hands-conscious women and classical guitar players).
In training we like to keep nails short. But does that apply to self-defense? Is there a fingernail length that would actually be beneficial in a self-defense situation?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In training we like to keep nails short. But does that apply to self-defense? Is there a fingernail length that would actually be beneficial in a self-defense situation?

If you're using the nail as a weapon, then you might want it longer. In any other case, you want it shorter.

For example, I did NOT follow the rules about clipping your nails. At my school, most people are barefoot but you can wear martial arts shoes with proper approval. I did a throw on a guy wearing shoes, my toenail caught in the binding of his shoe and ripped half my toenail off.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're using the nail as a weapon, then you might want it longer. In any other case, you want it shorter.

For example, I did NOT follow the rules about clipping your nails. At my school, most people are barefoot but you can wear martial arts shoes with proper approval. I did a throw on a guy wearing shoes, my toenail caught in the binding of his shoe and ripped half my toenail off.
Even without the shoes, I've torn off my big-toe toenail at least twice in the last three years. First time was when teaching a seminar series. It doesn't hurt, even a little, so I look really impressive - blood starts flowing freely and I just calmly walk off to put a band-aid on it.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just want to say that I really appreciate all of the input. 3 pages of questions just on the fist. I'm guessing that each question could have at least a 5 paragraph response provided that it wasn't one of those rabbit hole questions that leads multiple aspects related to the questions. If anything this clearly shows that there's more to a fist than balling up the hand.

It definitely gives a lot to work with.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want to say that I really appreciate all of the input. 3 pages of questions just on the fist. I'm guessing that each question could have at least a 5 paragraph response provided that it wasn't one of those rabbit hole questions that leads multiple aspects related to the questions. If anything this clearly shows that there's more to a fist than balling up the hand.

It definitely gives a lot to work with.
And it leads to the question, from an information-transfer perspective: where do we stop talking about the fist, and start talking about the punch?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And it leads to the question, from an information-transfer perspective: where do we stop talking about the fist, and start talking about the punch?
lol. my head just exploded. How many pages of punch questions do you think we'll get. I'm going to go with a minimum of 10

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does sports style hand conditioning do anything at all?

How would we really know.

Last edited:
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You guys can start answering questions if you like. I have 50 questions and that's easily 50 pages. More than enough. Thanks again for your help. Have fun.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does sports style hand conditioning do anything at all?

How would we really know.

Some of this, at least, could be tested. I wonder if any studies of similar methods have been done. A strengthening method I have recommended (but don't so much anymore, for logistical reasons) I got from an article Tiger Woods wrote (or maybe it was an interview article - in any case, it came from Woods): place an open newspaper on the table, put your hand in the middle, and scrunch up one page at a time. It's far harder than I expected, and clearly a good workout (as with any strength exercise, you can "feel" it). What I don't know is if it's efficient, building the right musculature (it seems to be), or better than squeezing a grip trainer...or using that rice bucket.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol. my head just exploded. How many pages of punch questions do you think we'll get. I'm going to go with a minimum of 10
Well, we already started getting some that were getting closer to the punch. I figured that was the natural progression.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
How about these fists?

okinawan_fist01.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-18_11-25-55.jpeg
    upload_2018-5-18_11-25-55.jpeg
    6.7 KB · Views: 367
OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, we already started getting some that were getting closer to the punch. I figured that was the natural progression.
To be honest I don't know where to begin with the punch. There are so many mechanics that can be used in a punch. Do we start at the legs, hips, waists, shoulders arms, rising punches? sinking punches, angled punches..

I'll let you handle the punch lol. . I have some writing and editing to do It's already a quite a bit of information. I have 4 pages just on one fist and that's before I read any of the fist questions.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest I don't know where to begin with the punch. There are so many mechanics that can be used in a punch. Do we start at the legs, hips, waists, shoulders arms, rising punches? sinking punches, angled punches..

I'll let you handle the punch lol. . I have some writing and editing to do It's already a quite a bit of information. I have 4 pages just on one fist and that's before I read any of the fist questions.
I'm oddly non-denominational with punches. I tend to combine and shift among a few different models without really seeing a boundary. All the variations I've been introduced to just feel like the same thing, with slightly different emphasis. That either means I'm a genius, or that I don't understand any of them all that well - I'm still trying to figure out which.

Latest Discussions