Potential student

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
so the other day is training in my back garden I was doing some forms and some bag work and one of my neighbours who's a 14 or 15 year old started asking me questions about what I was doing so I told him and he asked if I could teach him as he always to train but his parents couldn't afford it. He's not an athletic kid or anything like that his parents told me he's had issues with bullying. I told him I'd think about it and see if I have time.

Thing is I'm a bit unsure as I've said before I'm no teacher but I do want to help the kid as he is a nice lad and I know martial arts could be great for him but I'm just not sure about it. I don't really know if I want that responsibility or duty of care over him. Of course I'd check with his parents first make sure they're fine but I also don't want to teach him but him get into more fights because of it and get hurt. But I'll think about it.

But I've always decided if I do agree the main thing I'll teach is karate as that's my base and what I'm the best at of all my styles but I won't do belt ranks or wear a gi or any of that stuff I'll just teach the basics, some self defence techniques and possibly some forms and I'll work on his fitness and endurance and strength. I also may add in a few things I've learnt from Krav Maga but I'll post more of a teaching plan if I do decide to take this on.

It won't get me anything as I wouldn't charge but it is something I'd kind of like to do but just not sure if I. Good enough to do it

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you exclude the ridiculous change in plots within star wars...this is how Obi Wan Kenobi created Darth Vader.

If you do teach be honest with him and your self. Don't try to create your own style or package everything together. Tell him this is kenpo, this comes from Krav. It will help him later on with picking arts he wants to continue with.

The number one thing to remember is, there is a 99% chance he won't show up for his second or third class and every class there after. Don't take it personally. It's not about you. It happens because of the students realization that his fantasy is not reality. That it's actual a lot of work and commitment.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
so the other day is training in my back garden I was doing some forms and some bag work and one of my neighbours who's a 14 or 15 year old started asking me questions about what I was doing so I told him and he asked if I could teach him as he always to train but his parents couldn't afford it. He's not an athletic kid or anything like that his parents told me he's had issues with bullying. I told him I'd think about it and see if I have time.

Thing is I'm a bit unsure as I've said before I'm no teacher but I do want to help the kid as he is a nice lad and I know martial arts could be great for him but I'm just not sure about it. I don't really know if I want that responsibility or duty of care over him. Of course I'd check with his parents first make sure they're fine but I also don't want to teach him but him get into more fights because of it and get hurt. But I'll think about it.

But I've always decided if I do agree the main thing I'll teach is karate as that's my base and what I'm the best at of all my styles but I won't do belt ranks or wear a gi or any of that stuff I'll just teach the basics, some self defence techniques and possibly some forms and I'll work on his fitness and endurance and strength. I also may add in a few things I've learnt from Krav Maga but I'll post more of a teaching plan if I do decide to take this on.

It won't get me anything as I wouldn't charge but it is something I'd kind of like to do but just not sure if I. Good enough to do it
What you reach him will be of less value, than the fact you are taking an interest and could be a useful role models for him, if it also spurs an interest in fitness and weight control and increases his self esteam then that really good. Just invest some time in the kid and see where it goes

Oh and get him to polish your car

Last edited:

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
You don't have to be a master to teach an absolute beginner, anymore than you have be an English professor to teach ABCs.

Lay out a logical, step by step progression and go to it. Don't try to come off as some kind of martial arts guru or anything, just be his friend, it sounds like he could use one.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Isn’t that how Johnny started the Cobra Kai dojo recently?
Nah I didn't kick the crap out of some teenagers while eating Pizza on the pavement while drunk

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
What you reach him will be of less value, than the fact you are taking an interest and could be a useful role models for him, if it also spurs an interest in fitness and weight control and increases his self esteam then that really good. Just invest some time in the kid and see where it goes

I said that to him as a joke I told him sure but you got to wax my car and paint my house first....he looked at me confused I said I'm talking about karate kid he asked what's that?.....oh dear lol

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I said that to him as a joke I told him sure but you got to wax my car and paint my house first....he looked at me confused I said I'm talking about karate kid he asked what's that?.....oh dear lol
First lession, watch the movie, it's all you really need to know

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thinking from if it would help the kid, I would say go for it (assuming parents blah blah). Like jobo said the interest in him would be good, and it would be something for him to focus on and aspire to, if he gets into it. Plus the normal self confidence shpeal.

I would just have a conversation first going over the dangers of fighting and not to start fights with it before you start.

Ryan_

Green Belt
Reaction score

also get him to wash the dojo windows :p

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah that's really cool HH :), I reckon go for it, you'd both get something great out of it I'm sure, and would be alot of fun. And yeah keeping it casual and relaxed would be a good way to go about it.

Also taking him to an ice-breaking gambling setup wouldn't hurt... Just make sure to bet aLOT on him as he'll definitely break it then.

Michele123

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don’t have any advice but I’m loving all the karate kid references as I’ve just been rewatching them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IvanTheBrick

Orange Belt
Reaction score

IMHO, you either teach him or you don't. I'm 16, and I have been in my fair share of bubbles that were easily burst after one lesson in Martial Arts; what I mean is that it's easy to give the impression that the basics are enough to young people including myself. I remember when I was like 12 I had my first lesson in Boxing, and I thought I was invincible until I got slapped the love up. Don't just teach him the basics because if that's all he knows, it most likely won't be enough for a fight. Teach him all of it, or none of it - both options will guarantee a minimum amount of injury.

But this might just apply to me and I was just thick (stupid) who knows :happy:

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay so decided I'll give it a try. I'll start off training him as a kick boxer basically. I'll teach the basic punches and kicks and blocks etc and have him do pad rounds, heavy bag work and some conditioning.

If he sticks with that for a couple of months I'll move onto kenpo self defence techniques and maybe some basic grappling and after that if he's interested move onto forms.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay so decided I'll give it a try. I'll start off training him as a kick boxer basically. I'll teach the basic punches and kicks and blocks etc and have him do pad rounds, heavy bag work and some conditioning.

If he sticks with that for a couple of months I'll move onto kenpo self defence techniques and maybe some basic grappling and after that if he's interested move onto forms.
Sounds like a good plan, forms last or he will never come back

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You've just described my basic training approach, HH. I don't start into the "classical" work of NGA until after 2-3 months - that time is spent on some core foundation material (basic strikes, basic movement, limited grappling).

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I think starting with the bag workout is a great idea. Then you can move into the application of the techniques. As you as I began reading your post, I immediately thought "workout partner". As you are teaching him drills, you have a workout partner to train with.

Latest Discussions