Things about the martial fist

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
RULES#1 Only questions. No Answers
Rule #2 Only questions. No Answers

I'm starting to document my knowledge of martial arts and I want to make sure that I address as many relevant questions as possible. It would help me out a lot if there are some questions about the martial fist that people may have or be interested in.

Even if think there are some mis conceptions about creating a fist or using a fist. For example, The one that really don't like is "Never punch in a street fight."
I think stuff like this confusing so a question to raise this topic may be.
"Is it really true that you shouldn't punch in a street fight?" or "Why do people break their hands while punching."
Other valid question include "How to" questions about the fist.

Whatever the question is, it has to relate to a martial fist. A martial fist is defined as one that would be used for physically fighting. It doesn't matter what type of fist so long as it's a fist.

REMEMBER ONLY QUESTIONS.
NO ANSWERS

Thanks in advance

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I documented my knowledge of Martial Arts before. And in the second half hour I made spaghetti.

It was really good spaghetti. :)

Okay, I'll go first. What's the most common mistakes you see with beginners making fists when you first train them?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I documented my knowledge of Martial Arts before. And in the second half hour I made spaghetti.

It was really good spaghetti. :)

Okay, I'll go first. What's the most common mistakes you see with beginners making fists when you first train them?
Thanks. The spaghetti line caught me off guard.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How is breaking your wrist with an open palm impacted incorrectly better than breaking your hand?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What exercises should be done to insure a straight wrist while punching?

If a person wears jewellery, specifically a ring, how does that affect the martial fist?

Is bag work with hands wrapped and gloved different than bag work bare fisted?

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
cont...technical difficulties...

In cold climate, how is the first different when your hands are really cold?

A friend of mine has really big hands, another buddy has tiny hands, how is teaching the concepts of the Martial fist different between the two?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How is breaking your wrist with an open palm impacted incorrectly better than breaking your hand?
Good question. I'm trying my best not ask you to explain that one lol. That's a good curiosity. If someone was thumbing through a magazine, then that's one of the question that would stop them in their tracks. Thanks.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Why not? Or... when not a fist?
How to avoid a broken fist when punching, technically speaking?
How make a fist stronger?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What exercises should be done in insure a straight wrist while punching?

If a person wears jewellery, specifically a ring, how does that affect the martial fist?

Is bag work with hands wrapped and gloved different than bag work bare fisted?
Excellent questions. Thanks

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why not? Or... when not a fist?
How to avoid a broken fist when punching, technically speaking?
How make a fist stronger?
Good one. I'm going to piggy back off this.
What makes a fist strong?
What makes a fist week? (both in the context Is a fist always strong? what are some of the things that could weaken the structure of a fist or out ability to make a strong fist?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How does arthritis affect making a proper fist.
Another good question. Until now I didn't think of it from the perspective of someone having a condition in which might prevent them from making a fist. I don't even know if there's an alternative for someone who has arthritis.
Thanks. this definitely gives me something to think about.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another good question. Until now I didn't think of it from the perspective of someone having a condition in which might prevent them from making a fist. I don't even know if there's an alternative for someone who has arthritis.
This is one I'm actually thinking on - have some arthritis creeping into key digits. So, I'd add this: How does hitting things (like a heavy bag) affect arthritis? Will it get worse, faster?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How does arthritis affect making a proper fist.
It may be painful to hold a tight fist if you have arthritis. This is why the palm strike is a must. The palm strike may be your only dependable weapon through your old age.

It can be your worse nightmare that one day when you get old, you need to use your fist to finish a fight, but you can't even make a fist.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have several students over the age of 50 and others who have injuries or physical conditions that do not allow making a fist. I have 2 who have finger injuries and can not make a completely closed fist with all fingers. They can palm strike but hitting hard with a fist will cause more injury to their hand than to whatever they hit.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
It may be painful to hold a tight fist if you have arthritis. This is why the palm strike is a must. The palm strike may be your only dependable weapon through your old age.

It can be your worse nightmare that one day when you get old, you need to use your fist to finish a fight, but you can't even make a fist.
Yes sir...I realize this. Have several students who I teach to use palms rather than a closed fist.
The question was for JowGaWolf's consideration.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
(I will post pictures to ask this question when I get home, if it's not clear from my description).

There are 2 ways I was taught to make a fist. Superficially, they look almost the same. The way I intuitively created a fist when I first started martial arts is to put my fingertips into the crease in my hand and make my entire hand into a tight ball.

However, later I learned to first curl the fingers, and then to curl the fingers into my hand. Instead of being in the crease of my hand, this puts my fingertips on the pad where the fingers meet. My fingers themselves are curled tighter in this position, but the hand itself is looser.

Which is the more correct fist? Is it more important that I support my fingers with the palm of my hand, or that my fingers are as tight as possible against themselves?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How do you help a student overcome the bad habits of keeping a loose fist and/or loose wrists?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How do you help a student overcome the bad habits of keeping a loose fist and/or loose wrists?
Awesome. This was common for me as well. It drove me nuts. I'll add to this?

Does the solution to the bad habits of the fist apply for all fists or does it only work with one type of fist structure.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Awesome. This was common for me as well. It drove me nuts. I'll add to this?

Does the solution to the bad habits of the fist apply for all fists or does it only work with one type of fist structure.

I was looking for answers, not more questions.

Or at the very least, answers and then more questions!

Latest Discussions