things about being a martial artist

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Egg, just so you have better information, most kung fu systems are a good mix of striking, stand up grappling, and throws. There are some that also have quite extensive ground work. It isn't just striking.

No... they can't be. His instructor said so...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No... they can't be. His instructor said so...

Well, good students are told to believe in their instructors, young people would find it hard to question senior instructors. Look how many people believe TKD is an art thousands of years old!

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, good students are told to believe in their instructors, young people would find it hard to question senior instructors. Look how many people believe TKD is an art thousands of years old!

Truth to both statements. I always tried to make the correlation between the 1940's & 1950's & thousands of years ago. The math never worked out for me.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score

This is actually a very interesting discussion. Of course in the Dojo what the instructor says goes. However when it comes to history, science, statistics, religion and so on I believe a student have to draw a line somewhere what he/she accepts. Not neccecarily make an argument about it, but keep your own councel and beliefs.

Instructors I have the greatest respect for have brought up things like ghosts being real, reincarnation, "side kicks were designed to kick riders off horses" and the "all fights go to the ground". Not swallowing this whole does not make me any less of a student.

OP
eggg1994

eggg1994

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i think you all are right because i am not knowledgeable in my art yet. im really just a junor instructor in training. i really want to learn more about bjj's self defence like i know you can choke someone to death when standing behind them but i may be wrong. you know i believe martial arts is like power because its like when there's great power comes great responsability. i realize now that i sould focus not only self defence but the spiritual aspect of bjj. i really don't like people portraying bjj as a sport instead of a self defence system. what i want to know is since yall have been doing martial arts longer then i even lived are any of yall experts of bjj and if one of you are i have a particular question to ask how can i use the principles of bjj to defeat someone with a gun or who is so drunk because i resurched that joint locks would not work on people on drugs since they have a high pain tolarence to bone breakage. is there any way i could break someones arm useing the principles of bjj if so what areas can i target to secure a joint lock on what part of the body wrist, elbow, ect

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eggg... Right now, if you find yourself facing a gun or someone drunk -- RUN! Get help. In SEVERAL years, your options may be different, but even for highly trained and very skilled people, like cops and soldiers, that's still generally the best answer when they face a gun.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i think you all are right because i am not knowledgeable in my art yet. im really just a junor instructor in training. i really want to learn more about bjj's self defence like i know you can choke someone to death when standing behind them but i may be wrong. you know i believe martial arts is like power because its like when there's great power comes great responsability. i realize now that i sould focus not only self defence but the spiritual aspect of bjj. i really don't like people portraying bjj as a sport instead of a self defence system. what i want to know is since yall have been doing martial arts longer then i even lived are any of yall experts of bjj and if one of you are i have a particular question to ask how can i use the principles of bjj to defeat someone with a gun or who is so drunk because i resurched that joint locks would not work on people on drugs since they have a high pain tolarence to bone breakage. is there any way i could break someones arm useing the principles of bjj if so what areas can i target to secure a joint lock on what part of the body wrist, elbow, ect

Please keep in mind, that just because we train in the martial arts, it doesn't mean that we suddenly turn into Supermen. I would keep training, and get good at the empty hand side (grappling) of BJJ, before you start to worry about anything else. And as JKS said, if you find yourself facing a gun or any weapon, I'd suggest running instead of staying to fight.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If your instructor hasn't taught you these things yet, then he must feel you aren't ready for them yet. Trust your instructor to move you at a pace that is best for you. Rushing students ahead without making sure they have a solid handle on the basics is the worst thing an instructor can do.

Slipper

Orange Belt
Reaction score
i think you all are right because i am not knowledgeable in my art yet. im really just a junor instructor in training. i really want to learn more about bjj's self defence like i know you can choke someone to death when standing behind them but i may be wrong. you know i believe martial arts is like power because its like when there's great power comes great responsability . i realize now that i sould focus not only self defence but the spiritual aspect of bjj. i really don't like people portraying bjj as a sport instead of a self defence system. what i want to know is since yall have been doing martial arts longer then i even lived are any of yall experts of bjj and if one of you are i have a particular question to ask how can i use the principles of bjj to defeat someone with a gun or who is so drunk because i resurched that joint locks would not work on people on drugs since they have a high pain tolarence to bone breakage. is there any way i could break someones arm useing the principles of bjj if so what areas can i target to secure a joint lock on what part of the body wrist, elbow, ect

My friend, I agree that when one is learning a martial art, there is a great deal of responsibility involved. It is my personal opinion that the biggest responsibility we have as martial artists is to avoid violence as much as possible. I have been at our dojo for about four years now and am easily outranked by the majority of our class in terms of years training. Some of the guys in our class are solid muscle, fast as lightning and very proficient in techniques. If you were to ask them the same question - What would you do when faced with someone with a weapon or who is drunk - they would all give the same answer; run away if possible. I feel quite confident that these guys could hold their own in a fight. But, they also feel that martial arts is a study of the art more than a study of self-defense. That's not to say that on some nights they decide that I should learn 101 ways to break a person's nose. ;) Most of their instruction on self-defense is how to avoid being in the situation in the first place.

If your instructor hasn't taught you these things yet, then he must feel you aren't ready for them yet. Trust your instructor to move you at a pace that is best for you. Rushing students ahead without making sure they have a solid handle on the basics is the worst thing an instructor can do.

I agree. :)

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
But, they also feel that martial arts is a study of the art more than a study of self-defense.

Eggg, just wanting to add here, think about in terms of animals. Martial Arts are dogs and Self Defense skills are cats. You can't always expect both to do the same thing. If you train in a Martial Art, then study the art but it's not going to be very useful in the street (at least not each technique). But with some time, you can take the principles behind the movements and adapt it to self defense in a way that it works for YOU. What works for you won't always work for me or the other way around but keep at it and I'm sure you'll be taught some stuff you can use on the street in time.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i think you all are right because i am not knowledgeable in my art yet. im really just a junor instructor in training.

Egg1994,

Being an instructor is an honor, indeed. You should be thankful that your teacher gave you such a ranking / title.

However, by no means does it automatically convey any particular level of skill or knowledge.

Instructors come in all shapes and sizes. Some are very good at passing down knowledge, even if they can no longer perform the very techniques they are trying to teach (bad knees, bad back, etc). Some may not be good from a pure teaching aspect, but are excellent practitioners who can demonstrate the technique in such a way that others can copy the technique without worrying that they're watching the wrong thing. Some are blessed to be both excellent practitioners and pure teachers, while others might be less proficient in both areas, but have a type of "never say die" attitude that inspires others around them.

i realize now that i sould focus not only self defence but the spiritual aspect of bjj. i really don't like people portraying bjj as a sport instead of a self defence system. what i want to know is since yall have been doing martial arts longer then i even lived

Any respectable martial art system (which includes many, many, many systems of Karate, Kung Fu, Judo, Ju Jutsu, Tae Kwon Do, Aikido, Hapkido, Boxing, Wrestling, etc) can teach you what you need to know. The important thing here, is that you're developing yourself, making yourself into a better person, through discipline, training, and determination.

Throughout the course of improving those aspects, you're going to become a better grappler, a better striker, etc., which you'll be able to use in self-defense scenarios.

are any of yall experts of bjj and if one of you are i have a particular question to ask how can i use the principles of bjj to defeat someone with a gun

It's suicidal to try to take on someone with a gun, if you're unarmed. If someone has a gun and you don't, then your best bet is to run. Only if you know that there is no other alternative, should you even try to go for a gun disarm, and even then, the odds are not in your favor at all.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
true enlightenment comes from the knowledge that you know nothing :)

Yes Socrates :p

Thats why my instructor didnt opass me yet on the orange belt test. Of course he didnt fail us cause he knew we knew the stuff. but my preformance on test time wasnt great. So....

Latest Discussions