the worst night of my life =\ what would you do ?

Paul-M

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's 10:21 A.M here in the UK and the first thing I thought when I woke up was I gotta put this on Martialtalk lol.

Still a bit drunk though so bare with me lol.

In my city we have Queen Street which is full of shops and no bars, so it's packed in the day and near empty in the night, and St Mary's Street which is full of bars and clubs and fast food so it's the other way around.

I wasn't allowed in a club because apparently I was under age, and they took my I.D off me saying it was someone else's but it was mine, and said I had to ring in the morning and they would mail it to me, so I walked off pissed off and all my mates were in the club.

I made the dumb mistake of walking down Queen Street alone, it was literally empty, and as I was walking some kid came up to me and said "got any money mate?" I said "nope none mate sorry " and he came right up in my face and said "give me your ****ing money " i said "please buddy I ain't got anything" and pulled like a bit of small change and a £20 (aorund $40) note was visibile so he said "give me that now or ur getting it" and his shoulder moved as if he was gonna swing for me so I elbowed him in the chin and dropped him and he was bleeding and his friend looked so shocked lmao you could tell they do it all the time and no one does anything. Anyway there was five including the one on the floor so the four were chasing me and I turned and swung wildly with the worst punch I've ever thrown but it dropped another one and after running a bit more I had to sort of dodge a bin and another one was right behind me and would have caught me so I turned and dump tackled him but the fourth dude and the fifth one I originally elbowed caught up to me and caught me on the lip and the back of the head, took the £20 and sprant like little bitches. Luckily some dudes on bmxes saw everything and hit a few of them aswell but didn't manage to get my money back and another dude who saw everything paid for my taxi home.

I dunno why I'm telling you this in so much detail, but I've been doing martial arts for about 18 months and this was my first real self defense situation so I just wanted to know did I do the right thing? Or should I have just run ? I'm pretty proud I dropped three out of five but they still got my money so maybe that doesn't really mean anything =\

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Should have gave them your twenty and walked away without the beating, In the end the result was the same.

newmartialartist

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Giving them your money probably would have been the best idea. What art do you train in by the way?

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's easy to play "shoulda/coulda/woulda" when we have the benefit of looking at a situation in hindsight.

AFAIC, you're alive and more-or-less unharmed, that's all that counts.

kenpofighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think you should have gave them the money. What it just one of them had a gun or a knife? Your life can't be replaced but money can!

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's easy to play "shoulda/coulda/woulda" when we have the benefit of looking at a situation in hindsight.

AFAIC, you're alive and more-or-less unharmed, that's all that counts.

Bottom line the above is what matters.
icon14.gif

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Paul,

Pitty you arn't in Texas. Here you can stand your ground if you are where you can legaly go and you did not provoke the argument (and mugging sure isn't a provoked argument!)

To me, you decision to run was the right one. No guarantee they would have took your 20 pounds and just said, "MORE"! And if you didn't have more they would have all beaten you, maybe just for the fun of it.

I suggest if possible, next time (if there is a next time) look for a handy rock, brick, bottle, or car antenne to use as a weapon. That and maybe planning out your route home in advance to get the safeist route home.

Still, you are in one piece. And that's the main thing.

Deaf

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well Paul I'm glad your OK but I'd suggest not going it alone in QueenStreet at night again, you neven know, next time they might have a knife.
P.S Queen Street and the big park-ish area by the institute of spot have been surveyed the most dangerous places in cardiff

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Should have gave them your twenty and walked away without the beating, In the end the result was the same.

You were in a 5 against 1, drunk, pissed off and these guys "had done it before". You were in over your head fella. But you were damned lucky not to have been killed.
You and your mates should've stayed at home to do your drinking, called up some girls you knew, put on some tunes and just have a quiet little party right there.
Plus, I gotta wonder what kind of mates are they that if even one of the group can't get in because of one thing or another that they just leave him alone... too bad, we'll meet up with you later and tell you about it?
Lookit what happened to you.

Being drunk isn't the best time to see if 18 months of MA training is going to pay off.

Hope you learn something from this. Hope you realize everything that happened.
I'm sorry it happened to you, but I am glad that you at least came out ALIVE. On other streets in other parts of the world... you'd probably be dead.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well Paul I'm glad your OK but I'd suggest not going it alone in QueenStreet at night again, you neven know, next time they might have a knife.
P.S Queen Street and the big park-ish area by the institute of spot have been surveyed the most dangerous places in cardiff

Got to agree with this, we did a fight night in the Coal Exchange a few years back, there were more fights in the streets outside than in the hall. Cardiff at night is a scary place to be alone in at night.
I'm glad you're okay though but do take the advice offer in the previous posts and don't try this again! Justified self defence is one thing but against a gang it can be you being in the right legally but dead.

who do you train with down there?

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hate hearing crap like this. I hang out at my friend's bar or at home with my friends where we can get as wild (chicks, whiskey and a 3 bedroom house) as we want or as mild (Stargate/Battlestar Galactica night anyone?) as we wish. Actually, the picture in my avatare is from the bar.

I gotta say man, you got out safe and that's the main thing to focus on. Always try to avoid the confrontation, ALWAYS. Wear clothes and shoes you can move well in if you need to fight or run. I always wear combat boots and jeans as an example.

A lot of self defence has nothing to do with fighting. It's about awareness, non violent confluct resolution (talking) and knowing where to be. BUt I bet you'll be working extra had in the dojo now huh?

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I'm on board, especially without knowing whether they were armed or not. Its good that you got away ok though.

OP
Paul-M

Paul-M

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys, if it happened again I would definitely run, I just couldn't believe how he just came up to me casually like that and wanted to hit him lol. Bad attitude I know, but at least I learned from it..

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks guys, if it happened again I would definitely run, I just couldn't believe how he just came up to me casually like that and wanted to hit him lol. Bad attitude I know, but at least I learned from it..
That you learned from it is good. Pray tell, WHAT did you learn?
Also what did your mates say when you told them?

You still haven't told us what art you're studying :uhyeah: inquiring minds wanna know.

OP
Paul-M

Paul-M

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well mainly never to go anywhere in town alone at night, and if it happens again to just let them take what they want, or run if possible.

I train in Shaolin Nam Pai Chuan (www.cardiffcentralkungfu.org.uk) but I also cross train in boxing and jiu jitsu, although not that often.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Only fight when there is no other option man. There are weird legalities about being a martial artist that can actually get you sued in some places for beating your attacker to savagly.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Don't even give 'em anything , don't even stop to pull out any money just split. Hard.

The longer you stay in their presence the worse your chances of escaping unscathed get( who knows what the other 4 may have been maneuvering around to do while the "mouth" of the group was distracting you). Good thing they were unprepared for a resisting mark.

If they chase, the one good thing is they won't chase all at the same speed, they'll string out in a line so if they catch up you may get to nail the closest real good and keep going before the rest catch up, and keep distance that way.

If you are trapped in the midst of all of them, pick either A) the weakest looking one in the circle or B) the one acting as "Mouth", and go for THAT one and get out of that circle.

If you cannot escape the circle or are forced onto the ground it is killing time because the "boot party" is where 90-plus percent of all unarmed homicides occur. If you have not picked up techniques which are high-percentage for this kind of threat, pick some up.

Better than all this would be to give up drinking and nightclubs, or at least confine drinking to a safe location where you know you'll be spending that night and not going out.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't even give em anything , don't even stop to pull out any money just split. Hard.

The longer you stay in their presence the worse your chances of escaping unscathed get( who knows what the other 4 may have been maneuvering around to do while the "mouth" of the group was distracting you). Good thing they were unprepared for a resisting mark.

If they chase, the one good thing is they won't chase all at the same speed, they'll string out in a line so if they catch up you may get to nail the closest real good and keep going before the rest catch up, and keep distance that way.

If you are trapped in the midst of all of them, pick either A) the weakest looking one in the circle or B) the one acting as "Mouth", and go for THAT one and get out of that circle.

If you cannot escape the circle or are forced onto the ground it is killing time because the "boot party" is where 90-plus percent of all unarmed homicides occur. If you have not picked up techniques which are high-percentage for this kind of threat, pick some up.

Better than all this would be to give up drinking and nightclubs.

Agreed, with slight modification of the part I bolded. If you are dealing with multiples, it should be deadly force from the beginning due to the disparity of force.

Overall, I can't really say that I fault the actions of the OP. Who's to say that his willingness to engage didn't save him from worse damage? Aggressiveness is not a trait to be discouraged, just applied with discretion.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Agreed, with slight modification of the part I bolded. If you are dealing with multiples, it should be deadly force from the beginning due to the disparity of force.

Overall, I can't really say that I fault the actions of the OP. Who's to say that his willingness to engage didn't save him from worse damage? Aggressiveness is not a trait to be discouraged, just applied with discretion.

Exactly. If *you* don't know why "they" shouldn't mess with you, how will "they"?

Latest Discussions