The Wing Chun Curl

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Aww so sad. That makes me so sad.

What if Si-Je makes more money. Would both men get to split up half of her income? :whip1:

What a great strategy two husbands , that way when you divorce , you can take em both to the cleaners and double your money lol .

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't be sad. Si-Je doesn't make money like she's allergic to it! lol! Other hubbies are Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Gabrial Byrne. But, Mystic Wolf is my #1 Hubbie. lol!
;)

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ha Ha so silly...

These forums are really popping huh?

Don't be sad. Si-Je doesn't make money like she's allergic to it! lol! Other hubbies are Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Gabrial Byrne. But, Mystic Wolf is my #1 Hubbie. lol!
;)

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Was working on drilling
Tan sau
chit sau
pak sau
etc...sau
with punch and trying out that curl (or flexing) concept with extention of the spine when I punched 20 times each side (actually 40, deflect with front and back hand)
Trying to get a more natural feel for it before I actually hit something hard.
Man, that made my arms tired. couldn't hardly pick up kiddo for naptime after that.
Good drill idea, Yoshi, will keep playing with that.

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If its something new. Also remember to start off doing it slow and soft. Remember your first trying to get muscle memory. Once you become comfortable add force. But do it slow and concentrate on proper technique at first.

What is Chit sau?

etc sau thats funny!!!

Was working on drilling
Tan sau
chit sau
pak sau
etc...sau
with punch and trying out that curl (or flexing) concept with extention of the spine when I punched 20 times each side (actually 40, deflect with front and back hand)
Trying to get a more natural feel for it before I actually hit something hard.
Man, that made my arms tired. couldn't hardly pick up kiddo for naptime after that.
Good drill idea, Yoshi, will keep playing with that.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
If its something new. Also remember to start off doing it slow and soft. Remember your first trying to get muscle memory. Once you become comfortable add force. But do it slow and concentrate on proper technique at first.

What is Chit sau?

etc sau thats funny!!!

In my lineage it is a downward deflection to stop an attempted uppercut to the stomach .
You know the bit in the first part of the SLT form where the hands are crossed down low to define the centerline , its that bit , but in application you do it with one hand whilst the other punches.
It also appears in the last bit of the form sometimes known as the washing hands sequence .

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Its also called Gum Sau...

Siu Nim Tao (Xiao Nian Tou)
- Common meaning -
Sil Lim Tao

# 1
Hoi Yee Jee Kim Yeung Ma
(Kai Er Zi Qian Yang Ma)
Opening trapezoidal clamping goat horse
Opening stance
Ha Cha Sao (Xia Cha Shou)
Low crossed arms
Cross arms
Seung Cha Sao (Shuang Cha Shou)
High crossed arms
Bring them up
Seung Sao Kuen (Shuang Shou Quan)
Double closing fists
Make fists, withdraw

Jo Yaat Jee Chung Kuen
(Zuo Ri Zi Chong Quan)
Left vertical thrusting punch
Left punch
Jo Tan Sao (Zuo Tan Shou)
Left dispersing arm
Left Tan Sao
Jo Huen Sao (Zuo Juan Shou)
Left circling hand
Left Huen Sao
Jo Sao Kuen (Zuo Shou Quan)
Left closing fist
Make a fist, withdraw

Repeat on Right side
9-12

Left dispersing arm
Left Tan Sao
Left circling arm
Huen Sao
Jo Chum Sao (Zuo Chen Shou)
Left sinking hand
Drop hand
Jo Wu Sao (Zuo Hu Shou)
Left protecting hand
Wu Sao
Jo Fook Sao (Zuo Fu Shou)
Left controlling arm
Fook Sao
Left sinking hand
Drop hand
Jo Wu Sao (Zuo Hu Shou)
Left protecting hand
Huen Sao to Wu Sao
Left controlling arm
Fook Sao
Left sinking hand
Drop hand
Jo Wu Sao (Zuo Hu Shou)
Left protecting hand
Huen Sao to Wu Sao
Left controlling arm
Fook Sao
Left sinking hand
Drop hand
Jo Wu Sao (Zuo Hu Shou)
Left protecting hand
Huen Sao to Wu Sao
Jo Pak Sao (Zuo Pai Shou)
Left slapping hand
Pak Sao
Jo Jing Jeung (Zhuo Zeng Jeung)
Left straight palm
Left palm strike
Left dispersing arm
Tan Sao
Left circling hand
Huen Sao
Left closing fist
Make a fist, withdraw

Repeat on Right side
31-48
# 2

Jo Wang Gum Sao (Zuo Heng Jin Shou)
Left side pinning arm
Left Gum Sao
Yao Wang Gum Sao (You Heng Jin Shou)
Right side pinning arm
Right Gum Sao
Seung Hao Gum Sao
(Shuang Hou Jin Shou)
Double back pinning arms
Double rear palm strike
Seung Jin Gum Sao
(Shuang Qian Jin Shou)
Double front pinning arms
Double front palm strike
Seung Lan Sao (Shuang Lan Shou)
Double barring arms
Bring arms up
Seung Fak Sao (Shuang Fu Shou)
Double whisking arms
Double Fut Sao
Seung Lan Sao (Shuang Lan Shou)
Double barring arms
Bring arms back
Seung Chum Sao (Shuang Chen Shou)
Double sinking arms
Drop both hands
Seung Tan Sao (Shuang Tan Shou)
Double dispersing arms
Double Tan Sao
Seung Jut Sao (Shuang Jut Shou)
Double choking arms
Double Jut Sao
Seung Biu Jee (Shuang Biao Shou)
Double darting fingers
Double Bil Jee
Seung Cheung Kiu Gum Sao
(Shuang Chang Qiao Jin Shou)
Double long bridge pinning arms
Double Gum Sao
Seung Ding Sao (Shuo Ding Shou)
Double butting arms
Double Tarn Sao
Seung Sao Kuen (Shuang Shou Quan)
Double closing fists
Make fists, withdraw
# 3

Jo Pak Sao (Zuo Pai Shou)
Left slapping hand
Left Pak Sao
Jo Juk Jeung (Zuo Ce Zhang)
Left side palm
Left palm strike
Left dispersing arm
Tan Sao
Left circling hand
Huen Sao
Left closing fist
Make a fist, withdraw

Repeat on Right side
68-72

Left dispersing arm
Left Tan Sao
Jo Gaun Sao (Zuo Geng Shou)
Left cultivating arm
Garn Sao
Left dispersing arm
Tan Sao
Left circling hand
Huen Sao
Jo Dai Jeung (Zuo Di Zhang)
Left low palm
Left low palm strike
Left dispersing arm
Tan Sao
Jo Noi Huen Sao (Zuo Nei Juan Shou)
Left inside circling hand
Heun Sao
Left closing fist
Make a fist, withdraw

Repeat on right side
81-88

Jo Bong Sao (Zuo Bang Shou)
Left wing arm
Left Bong Sao
Left dispersing arm
Tan Sao
Jo Tok Jeung (Zuo Tuo Zhang)
Left butting palm
Low palm strike
Left dispersing arm
Tan Sao
Left circling hand
Huen Sao
Left closing fist
Make a fist, withdraw

Repeat on right side
95-100

Jo Tut Sao (Zuo Tuo Shou)
Left freeing arm
Strike down with right hand while wthdrawing left arm
Yao Tut Sao (You Tuo Shou)
Right freeing arm
Strike down with left hand while withdrawing right arm
Jo Tut Sao (Zuo Tuo Shou)
Left freeing arm
Strike down with right hand while withdrawing left arm
Yao Lien Wan Kuen (You Lian Huan Quan)
Left linked chain punch
Left punch, Right punch, Left punch
Yao Tan Sao (You Tan Shou)
Dispersing arm
Tan Sao
Yao Huen Sao (You Juan Shou)
Circling hand
Huen Sao
Yao Sao Kuen (You Shou Quan)
Right closing fist
Make fist, withdraw
Sao Ma (Shou Ma)
Closing horse
To attention

In my lineage it is a downward deflection to stop an attempted uppercut to the stomach .
You know the bit in the first part of the SLT form where the hands are crossed down low to define the centerline , its that bit , but in application you do it with one hand whilst the other punches.
It also appears in the last bit of the form sometimes known as the washing hands sequence .

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

That's the one! Like a little "chop" to the arm, applying forward pressure to a uppercut or stomach punch.
Fancy that one more than gan sau which sweeps away more. (And that's just what Hubbie taught me first. Don't think I've ever used the other low deflection)

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's the one! Like a little "chop" to the arm, applying forward pressure to a uppercut or stomach punch.
Fancy that one more than gan sau which sweeps away more. (And that's just what Hubbie taught me first. Don't think I've ever used the other low deflection)

You can also just cut straight down on their inner forearm which means they won't be using that arm again in a hurry.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You can also just cut straight down on their inner forearm which means they won't be using that arm again in a hurry.

True that! Even I've hurt hubbies big forearms with chit sau. Stops that uppercut with a quick, ouch! Makes the had go numb (or a little tingly) if you do it just right too. :)

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Make sure you wear arm pads on the inside of your arms when you are playing the role of attacker .

I almost got nerve damage by trying to be a macho man and not wearing the pads , the damage accumulates over a period of time until you feel that tingleing sensation all the time and your fingers will have a tremor like you've been on the Jack Daniels all night .

You will find a lot of the deflections will attack the sensitive inner forearm , it has annoyed me for years that the only arm pads you can get are ones designed for Karate or Tae Kwon Do and they don't fit properly and you have to try and turn them around to cover your inner arm when attacking the Wing Chun guy .

I think the first company that designs pads specifically for Wing Chun will make a fortune .

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lets see that must be Jum Sau. I love that one...

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lets see that must be Jum Sau. I love that one...

Sorta. Same energy and motion, I guess, but different hand position. Your hands palm down, like putting your hand flat on a table.

I didn't know you could get nerve damage with that! We don't often work chit sau with that much forward force on eachother, but that may be teaching me to ease up when I need it to hurt.
We don't wear the armpads because their so gawky. But, seems like we better figure something else out. :)
"cause really, I get that feeling if I punch at someone using chit sau hard. Almost like you hurt yourself, going full force. so, I don't attack the tummy that "hard" in practice. This could be another bad habit.

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No Jum sau is kinda like a knife hand going straigh down with pinky side of hand making contact with enemies guards or strike. As for nerve damage. Train Chi Kung, Use Dit Da Jow, An practice making contact with something harder like a wooden man or tree. Conditioning is the key.

Good technique against a strong man. Wear his arms down!

Picture of Jum Sau.

Black kid is doing Jum Sau
DSC_1758.jpg

Below shows a punch and Jum Sau

hand15jum.jpg

Sorta. Same energy and motion, I guess, but different hand position. Your hands palm down, like putting your hand flat on a table.

I didn't know you could get nerve damage with that! We don't often work chit sau with that much forward force on eachother, but that may be teaching me to ease up when I need it to hurt.
We don't wear the armpads because their so gawky. But, seems like we better figure something else out. :)
"cause really, I get that feeling if I punch at someone using chit sau hard. Almost like you hurt yourself, going full force. so, I don't attack the tummy that "hard" in practice. This could be another bad habit.

Last edited:

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score

You will notice that your inner forearm will hurt as well if you attack somebody hard and they have a good dai sau . Every now and again it is good to test the structure of your deflection by just doing the deflection with out the counter punch and have the attacker wear two pads on one arm so he can punch as hard as he can.

This gives the Wing Chun person confidence that he can deflect heavy punches and not have a false sense of confidence in his deflections because he has never experienced somebody punching with a lot of power and body weight .

What normally tends to happen is that the person playing the role of the attacker tends to only do half-arsed -punches if they have no pads on because they know from experience that the harder they punch the more their arms will get hurt .

This results in a vicious circle where because the attacker doesn't punch hard the Wing Chun person tends to get a bit lazy with their deflections . So every now and again its a good idea for the attacker to put two pads on one arm and test out the other persons deflections to see if their keeping it real as you Americans like to say.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
No Jum sau is kinda like a knife hand going straigh down with pinky side of hand making contact with enemies guards or strike. As for nerve damage. Train Chi Kung, Use Dit Da Jow, An practice making contact with something harder like a wooden man or tree. Conditioning is the key.

Good technique against a strong man. Wear his arms down!

Picture of Jum Sau.

Black kid is doing Jum Sau
DSC_1758.jpg

Below shows a punch and Jum Sau

hand15jum.jpg

We call that one Tor Sau , its typically used against a palm or punch in chi sau or a karate punch to the stomach .

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, Mook, the dai sau can really hurt too. Good about wearing two pads. We haven't done the arm guards in a long time because, well, their a pain in the ****! lol!
But, hubbie makes me hurt his arm. likes it or something. lol!

Yosh, chit sau is along similar arm movement, only your palm is pointing to the floor. Pushed forward in front of your belly button, where you hit the arm or forearm/wrist of the the punch with the knife edge of your hand. (kung fu chop! :)

Latest Discussions