The WC book I'd like to see...

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You know the WC book I'd like to see? It would be a big, beautifully illustrated "coffee table" style volume profiling the whole art of WC... all the main lineages. But rather than focusing just on what each lineage claims and does, it would go on analyze the trade-offs we each make from a practical, fighting perspective. So If one group takes a back weighted stance, consider what is both gained and lost as compared to a fifty-fifty stance. The same goes for hand postures, heavy vs lighter pressure, closing and engaging the opponent, anti-grappling adaptations, adaptations from other arts, and so forth.

To my way of thinking, different lineages produce good fighters in spite of their different approaches. So the fighters are learning to exploit certain advantages, and to cover their weaknesses in different ways. I'm sick of hearing the old "My way is the best" line. I'd like to see some thoughtful consideration of the variety of ways you can make things work.

So anybody know of such a book? Or are you willing to write it?

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I doubt I'll be writing this any time soon lol, none the less, it would be quite awesome should such a beautiful thing exist.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd like to see this for just about any martial arts family.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
How about one titled "The Lineage Fights Were Stupid: We Didn't Do Ourselves Any Favors"

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah , like Wing Chun is the only martial art that has lineage fights as you call them.

I'm the one whose tagline used to be "Indonesian brain-rot strikes four out of five. Please give generously." When it comes to stupid lineage fights I know what I'm talking about.

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey Geezer!!

If you wanna co write it with me, I'm game.

Here's the thing.

It should not be done alone. I know I have a piece of the pie, yet I know of practitioners here that have earned my respect with their contributions, and if, through questions, we can discuss these topics, compiling the information should be much faster, more reliable and a very complete exposition.

And we can do it in posts like these and discuss.

I've tried many things that have been discussed here and evaluated them, keeping or making the ideas even better if they work, discarding the ones that weren't that fruitful.

So, if anyone is game to help, it would be awesome.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ive actually done this - I have a book at home with around 300 wing chun schools in it that I have personally witnessed (I know the figure seems a lot, but it is probably around 5% of the actual number of chun schools out there!). I would never publish it as it would probably offend people who are a bit sensitive to analysis

The trouble with these kind of books is that arts change so much that you would constantly be making edits!

For example, our school has changed dramatically than how we trained say 5 years ago.

However, I created my book more for sentimentality purposes. Its actually quite nice with some good photos!

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
It shouldn't be analysing styles (+ or -)
More describing them in comparison :)

hunt1

Green Belt
Reaction score
No real comparison book of wing chun methods can be done unless first there is an agreed objective method of comparing. The method or measuring stick for comparing can not have anything to do with wing chun. Otherwise you will always end up with " thats nice but that's not how Moy Yat ,Leung Ting etc taught us even though you MOy Yat Leung Ting sifus etc are showing how they do things."

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah your right, would be a good resource.... even if it was the size of a beachball. hehe

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If it's so fluid, how about a Wing Chun Wiki-like thing?