What would you do in these situations?

iTz BoT

White Belt
Reaction score
Just wondering how you would react in these situations, or what is the best thing to do in these situations...

1. Someone insults you
2. Someone insults your wife/girlfriend in front of you both
3. When a customer is rude and has a bad attitude

kegage

Green Belt
Reaction score
Essentially, I will do nothing. As long as certain lines are not crossed (i.e. becomes physical on their part). Once that is crossed, by them, Katy bar the door. I have a philosophy of "Be nice. Be really nice. Until it is time to no longer be nice. Then, when that time comes, be really not nice, but do only what is necessary to end the situation." I would attempt intelligent discussion (no yelling, screaming, cussing, or personal insults) to try to calm the situation, and resolve whatever issues there are, but I will not lower myself to the same level as the instigator. That is exactly what they want. As long as these confrontations are verbal there is no reason to get physical. Some may say, especially in regards to examples 1 and 2, these are matters concerning personal honor, and the honor of the lady you are with. My honor, and the honor of the lady I am with is intact, and someone insulting me/us/her is not going to change that. If I/we are with others they also know this. Only the honor of the insulter is in doubt. As to example 3, most companies have procedures for handling these situations, otherwise the above applies.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just wondering how you would react in these situations, or what is the best thing to do in these situations...

1. Someone insults you

Regardless of the circumstances, it is always my goal not to fight. I can give a pretty good tongue lashing when I have a mind to in the case of number 2, but I would try to do it in a manner that puts down the insulter but doesn't give him the option of starting a physical fight. So perhaps tongue lashing isn't the right word. But I can put someone down pretty well, at the same time making it quite clear I do not intend to fight. And I have no problem with walking away from a confrontation if I am allowed.

If I were to be attacked, I would attempt to defend myself of course. But as a martial artist, I have been taught not to fight if it is avoidable, but if I fight, to end it as quickly and safely as possible.

EDIT: I really like kegage's answer better than mine.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

1. Someone insults you

1. Leave.
2. Leave.
3. Depends upon the circumstances; but most likely, nothing.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

1. Someone insults you

All three questions involve paying mind to someone that does not have one. Getting involved in this type of situation can only lead to very big trouble. As stated, walk away.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Honour is a tricky thing, for whilst there are some absolutes, there are also a great deal of relative factors.

One thing that we should all be aware of as martial artists is that we have command over what we do in a potentially violent situation, not someone else. My honour does not demand that I physically assault someone just because they don't have good enough sense to keep their tongue still.

If they attack me then that is a different matter but for their words to harm me I have to care about who they are or fear that those around me will be influenced by those words. Neither has ever been the case so far in my life, or at least it has never been the case that my self control has let me down in such circumstances.

Others having a good opinion of you is important I do agree but, always, your honour is your own and reacting with violence when you do not need to is a disservice you do yourself.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Too tough a question to answer, the particulars not being known or experienced by those of us reading.
There's a lot of ways to respond, violence being both the most foolish, and by far the least effective.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score

1. Someone insults you

Well, if some dude insulted Me, naturally id kick him in the kneecap. Hook punch him in the temple. Grab his head with both hands and slam it onto my knee. Put him in a guillotine choke, and hold it for about 60 seconds. Then twist his testicles. Duh.

If someone insults my Girlfriend in front of us both? Id grab his hair, yank his head to the side, and knife hand his neck repeatedly. Then headbutt him. Then twist his testicles.

A customer being rude, and having a bad attitude. Well, firstly id grab him by the balls, and give them a twist. Then, id headbutt him, hook punch him in the head, front kick his midsection, hip throw him, then stomp on his head a couple of times.

In all seriousness, id respond to all of those by placing one foot back, incase the finger became the fist.

Benevolentbob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
1. Someone insults you
Happened all through highscool, just shrug it off unless they get in my face and threaten me.
Just ignore them and walk way, get ready to defend myself/partner if necessary.
Happens to me everyday, it's degrading and demoralizing but it's part of my job as a retail worker to deal with it and not get angry or even object.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

1. Someone insults you

Define "insult." About four years ago, the wife and I got into a minor fender bender with some less than savory characters in Santa Fe-we were clearly in the wrong, but when I got out my phone to call the cops, I got a "**** you n*gg*r!" and they took off.

I hadn't been called that in more than 20 years. I just about fell down laughing.

Simply not much chance of that, but we'd probably both laugh.

Serve them politely, then politely tell them to never come back.

And, honestly, most of the time, Rita and I are armed-we tend to be a little thick skinned when it comes to stupid crap like "insults."

Pretty much when it comes to "stupid crap," actually....:lfao:

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, if some dude insulted Me, naturally id kick him in the kneecap. Hook punch him in the temple. Grab his head with both hands and slam it onto my knee. Put him in a guillotine choke, and hold it for about 60 seconds. Then twist his testicles. Duh.

If someone insults my Girlfriend in front of us both? Id grab his hair, yank his head to the side, and knife hand his neck repeatedly. Then headbutt him. Then twist his testicles.

A customer being rude, and having a bad attitude. Well, firstly id grab him by the balls, and give them a twist. Then, id headbutt him, hook punch him in the head, front kick his midsection, hip throw him, then stomp on his head a couple of times.

In all seriousness, id respond to all of those by placing one foot back, incase the finger became the fist.
I'd do the same except that in your first example Id hold the guillotene choke for 70 seconds after the knee to the head :) Seriously though, I would do nothing on all 3 occasions, except maybe leave if it was appropriate to do so..

OP
I

iTz BoT

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers so far. Everyone seems to have a similar view, well, apart from Cyriacus =p

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers so far. Everyone seems to have a similar view, well, apart from Cyriacus =p

You do know he was being sarcastic? It's accepted among most martial artists that one really doesn't have to do anything when you have a right plonker trying to have a go at you. You're ready to defend you and yours but no action is required other than that. If people want to be idiots and show themselves up let them, there's no need to join them.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

1. Someone insults you

1 - Judy Chop
2 - Judy Chop
3 - Judy Chop

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
I

iTz BoT

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I know, thats why I did the little face at the end.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its all Good :)

No it's not! I'm peeved because you got your sarcasm in first! I was going to put much the same so I'm sulking now that you got there first. Fight! :whip:

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
No it's not! I'm peeved because you got your sarcasm in first! I was going to put much the same so I'm sulking now that you got there first. Fight! :whip:
You wanna fight? Sure thing, chump.
I SHALL USE A PROGRAM TO SIMULATE THIS! (No, Seriously.)
For Reference; I cannot alter Genders. Im not completely sure of your Gender, so consider He a Generalisation.

*Im not going to post it here, as its rather long. I cannot PM it to you in one hit, either. Allow me to ponder this briefly.

Latest Discussions