The technique you never mastered

girlbug2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
From the earliest levels of Krav we are taught the most basic gun disarm tech, Gun From the Front ( BG facing squarely, gun pointed at your midsection or sometimes head). Later on we learn disarms for side angles and from behind. But still, 2 and 1/2 years later, Gun From the Front is the one tech I can't seem to learn properly. It's a very simple series of movements, but subtle changes can make a big difference in how it's pulled off. In my head I keep thinking Wrong Wrong Wrong when I perform this tech. I have trouble latching onto the weapon at the correct place with my small hands. Somehow, I can never quite get the gun pointed away from me at a good angle, or my wrist is weak and easily overpowered, or the takeaway is a disaster. I never know if my body is badly designed for this tech or if it's in my head. Probably my head :uhyeah:.

All you more advanced martial artists, is there that one technique you still get tripped up on? If so, why do you think that is?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're talking Toy Soldier, right? Obviously, I can't see what you're doing -- but it sounds like you need to experiment a little with where you're grabbing the gun, then really lean into the hip. You should almost be falling over into the person with the gun... Focus on grabbing the gun in places that fit your hands, and that'll give you leverage.

Now, if you're asking if there's techniques I haven't mastered... Dozens. Dozens of dozens. But I'm working on them! It's a natural process as your understanding of techniques grows and expands. I'm constantly reviewing and revisiting basics because they're the core of everything else.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmmm , been having a lot of trouble walking on the rice paper without leaving a trace.

At this rate I'll never be leaving the damn temple.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the earliest levels of Krav we are taught the most basic gun disarm tech, Gun From the Front ( BG facing squarely, gun pointed at your midsection or sometimes head). Later on we learn disarms for side angles and from behind. But still, 2 and 1/2 years later, Gun From the Front is the one tech I can't seem to learn properly. It's a very simple series of movements, but subtle changes can make a big difference in how it's pulled off. In my head I keep thinking Wrong Wrong Wrong when I perform this tech. I have trouble latching onto the weapon at the correct place with my small hands. Somehow, I can never quite get the gun pointed away from me at a good angle, or my wrist is weak and easily overpowered, or the takeaway is a disaster. I never know if my body is badly designed for this tech or if it's in my head. Probably my head :uhyeah:.

All you more advanced martial artists, is there that one technique you still get tripped up on? If so, why do you think that is?

This could be the way you're doing the tech, or just that the tech in general is awkward. Due to the fact that everyone is built differently, you're going to have to adapt the tech to fit you. :)

Are there things that trip me up? Of course. When I teach, I teach the way the tech was taught to me. However, I also teach any changes and/or adjustments that I have made so that I can perform the move. Just this past week for example, I was reviewing some Kenpo techs with a few students. There was one move towards the end which IMO, would have made the tech very difficult to do, if the badguy was standing a particular way. Due to the fact that we can't predict how someone will be standing, nor can we predict what they may do, my suggestion was simple...abandon that move and do something else.

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
A technique I haven't mastered? All of them! :D

Every time I do a technique I pick up something new or experience a little variation which hopefully makes my execution that much better but nothing is close to perfect. As for the technique itself not working for you, there are far more experienced people to offer advice on that but something we get told in class is that no 2 people are built the exact same way, what works for someone who wrote the technique might not work for you. Mix it up a bit, use training time to play with it and make it your own till it feels right.

End result might not be the text book version but hey, it gets you home alive!

Disco

Green Belt
Reaction score
If a specific technique is a problem, with the way your attempting to do it, then try altering it to fit your strengths. Lets take this gun disarm. Instead of grabbing the weapon, which you claim is where the trouble lies, try moving your body off line 45 or 90 degrees as you push or grab the wrist/arm of the person holding the weapon, also clearing your body. Combine this with a strike to the throat/eyes/groin or a quick side kick to the knee or ankle. Then go for the weapon and you should be able to peel it away without a problem.

Latest Discussions