The sport of the samurai lives on

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That is very cool!! I have a lot of respect for archers, especially ones who can doing on horseback.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like how they respect the past by dressing in traditional uniforms/costumes.
I also admire how they fire their bows. Raising them up high has got to be more difficult than traditional methods. I can see how/why they would, to prevent the bottom of the bow from possibly snagging on something beneath stirrup's level and spoiling the shot (not along the track but along actual fields of battle).

Can't remember where I first saw this quote but I believe it applies here... "sometimes the old ways are best".

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice article. I have seen film of yabasume and it always struck me as an odd practice because the targets were so close - then it was explained to me that that actually makes it harder rather than easier because the 'release window' is so tight.

Can someone with a better background in archery than I elaborate on that - or indeed comment on it's accuracy? {Yeah! Missile weapons pun attack :D}

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Having shot a bow off horses when I was a kid. (and gun's as well) I will say that it is very hard.
icon6.gif

thetruth

Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't ride a horse or shoot an arrow so if tried that it would be very very dangerous:asian:

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
That is so cool! I want to learn that. It is now on my list of things to do before I die! lol

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Can someone with a better background in archery than I elaborate on that - or indeed comment on it's accuracy?
That is absolutely correct. You've got about a 45 degree release window on a moving target. This is where you can easily shift your body to accurately cover the target without moving your feet. (or in yabusame, your butt!) Now, think of how much more area you could cover with that 45 degree shift at 50 yards as opposed to 3 yards. Now, think about pounding past the 3 yard target at a full gallop, and picture how short of a time it would be in your 45 degree window.

Latest Discussions