Mexico: Two-thirds of Mexican migrants undocumented

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Based on what information does one ascert that the Mexican Government "acts to help" Mexican enter the United States without documents?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Based on what information does one ascert that the Mexican Government "acts to help" Mexican enter the United States without documents?
Well, they printed a pamphlet with tips...
That would be acting to help, wouldn't it?
A news story about the pamphlet
A quote from the story:
“Guide for the Mexican Migrant” takes this a step further, not only explaining the dangers, but also explaining how to get around them.
In addition to warning that “crossing the river can be very risky,” the guide explains that the way to get around this is to avoid big clothing. “Heavy clothing grows heavier when wet, and this makes it difficult to swim or float,” the pamphlet reads. It goes on to counsel migrants that “drinking water mixed with salt will help to replace lost body fluids” and prevent dehydration while crossing the desert. Those who find themselves lost are advised to “use power lines, train tracks or dirt roads as guides.”
That kind of makes the Mexican government an accessory...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that was their intent, they wouldn't have published advice on how to climb fences and evade the Border Patrol.

Don, can you read Spanish?

The pamphlet can be seen here

How to Deal with the Border Patrol

“Don't throw stones or objects at the officer or patrol vehicles because this is considered a provocation…Raise your hands slowly so they see you are unarmed."

Hiding in America

“Avoid attracting attention, at least while you are arranging your stay or documents to live in the United States…The best formula is to not alter your routine of going from work to home."

Philosophy

"It's better to be detained a few hours and repatriated to Mexico than to get lost in the desert.”

All of which is sound advice for people who are doing something dangerous-and, yes, illegal. I suppose you'd rather their government advise them to resist the border patrol, throw stones at them, or travel armed?

That said, a lot of what is in the pamphlet is nonsense.

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hm... I just saw the pamphlet but nothing proves it was made for mexican government...

IDK... what is worst? Mexican government allowing the thing or certain american groups trying to validate the "illegal aliens" through US government sponsored bill, they wish? (Don't ask for links. All of you know it takes a couple of seconds of flipping channels on tv to find info about...) It's a disrispect to the americans and to the people legally coming to this country. My humble opinion.

ChadWarner

Green Belt
Reaction score
Don, can you read Spanish?

The pamphlet can be seen here

All of which is sound advice for people who are doing something dangerous-and, yes, illegal. I suppose you'd rather their government advise them to resist the border patrol, throw stones at them, or travel armed?

That said, a lot of what is in the pamphlet is nonsense.[/b]
[/font]

That is the most backwards argument I have ever read... Lets break the law but do it nicely. Why should I obey any laws then? Beings my tax dollars pay for police and the legislaters, they should enforce the law to who? We (the united states) are a nation of laws- you break them you get punished.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
That is the most backwards argument I have ever read... Lets break the law but do it nicely. Why should I obey any laws then? Beings my tax dollars pay for police and the legislaters, they should enforce the law to who? We (the united states) are a nation of laws- you break them you get punished.

Pretty sure they're not breaking any Mexican laws, and not breaking any U.S. laws until after thbey cross the border, but hey? It's not as though the document was produced by the U.S. government-with NAFTA, and all, what do you expect?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Pretty sure they're not breaking any Mexican laws, and not breaking any U.S. laws until after thbey cross the border, but hey? It's not as though the document was produced by the U.S. government-with NAFTA, and all, what do you expect?
That is THE point!
The Mexican government should take care of their citizens, not aid and abet them in breaking US laws!

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
That is THE point!
The Mexican government should take care of their citizens, not aid and abet them in breaking US laws!

Pretty sure Canadians aren't breaking any Canadian laws when they come down here to shop at Walmart and decide to stay, and that Haitian boat people aren't breaking any Haitian laws when they wind up in Florida. Cubans are another story-are you saying more countries should be like Cuba?Mexico especially?

The Mexican government did take care of its citizens, by getting us to sign NAFTA.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The difference being Cubans actively try to stop their citizens from leaving? If that is what you mean, then yeah, Mexico should be more like Cuba.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
The difference being Cubans actively try to stop their citizens from leaving? If that is what you mean, then yeah, Mexico should be more like Cuba.

You mean they shouldn't be more like us? I'm surprised. They should emulate a dictatorial, repressive communist regime that actively stops its citizens from leaving?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mexico really should shut up about how we treat the illegal immigrants that are their largest export to the US, especially considering how the Mexican government treats those who dare come across their southern borders illegally. They should act in ways that don't make millions of their citizens leave.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Mexico really should shut up about how we treat the illegal immigrants that are their largest export to the US, especially considering how the Mexican government treats those who dare come across their southern borders illegally. They should act in ways that don't make millions of their citizens leave.

What exactly have they said about how we treat the illegal immigrants?Mostly, we catch them and send them back-end of story. Don't think they have much to say about that. Meanwhile, they don't ever give Americans grief for entering their country....

ANd they don't act in ways that make millions of their citizens leave. The balme for that rests strictly on the shoulders of those who pay them-many of whom are corporations like Walmart, Tyson Foods, and Swift &Co. Incidentally, while I can't find the source, I read somewhere that 30% of all illegal immigrants are legally employed, that is, on the books, paying income tax and social security that they can't benefit from-a net gain for us.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
People who are not here legally cannot be legally employed. They can only be "legally" employed by using a false name or SSN, using someone else's SSN is another crime; Identity Theft.
The Mexican government thinks, and has said, that we should embrace and legalize those citizens of their's who come here in direct violation of our borders and laws. They don't act in ways that would add vitality (note: Cannot REvitalize something that has not been vital...) to their own economy, other than waving goodbye to millions of thier citizens who, by the way, send BILLIONS of dollars back to thier families in Mexico. The Mexican government has also demanded, frequently, that Mexicans who were here illegally and paid into Social Security should be able to collect in Mexico.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
A government's primary concern is the welfare of its people, so I can't fault Mexico for trying to help its citizens find a safe route through a dangerous passage.

That said, if the best thing you can do for your people is to help them sneak out of the country, you might be an piss-poor excuse for a government.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
People who are not here legally cannot be legally employed. They can only be "legally" employed by using a false name or SSN, using someone else's SSN is another crime; Identity Theft.

Well, that's precisely why I qualified it, but who commits the greater crime here, the employee, or the employer?

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, that's precisely why I qualified it, but who commits the greater crime here, the employee, or the employer?

Does it matter? They are both doing something illegal. Punish them both.

elder999 said:
ANd they don't act in ways that make millions of their citizens leave. The balme for that rests strictly on the shoulders of those who pay them-many of whom are corporations like Walmart, Tyson Foods, and Swift &Co.

That is a very simplistic argument to make. There are a multitude of reasons, including the one you suggest, that Mexicans come to the U.S.A., including abject poverty in Mexico, availabilty of illegal jobs in the U.S., free benefits (including welfare, school for children, etc.), the lack of any citizenary responsibility.

Latest Discussions