The SIRT Firearm Training Simulator

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just want to add, whatever way you practice, practice shooting with both hands. You might use more bullets, but remember if you shoot behind any barricade, it can be on either side of you, eg. if you only shoot with right hand and the barricade is on your right side, you literally have to expose your whole body to shoot. You can shoot behind the barricade if you can shoot with your left hand.

To me, the best way is to actually go to the range and shoot a lot. It's expensive, but that's the true way to learn how to handle the gun. You shoot enough, you'll find your best way to grip.

Last edited:

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That´s what i like about the US... you can own a Bazooka :D
But seriously you´ve got great possibilities to shoot at numerous clubs.
can also fire many types of weapons. This was my baby back in the day.
300px-FN_Hi_Power.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So why not just do dry fire practice with the actual weapon? That's what we do.
I have these in all the calibers I own. The targets work well for accuracy, and they have a "reaction time" mode, in which they beep at a random interval, after which you have like 2 seconds to draw and shoot the target.
We also make a game out of watching The Walking Dead. Points for every zombie shot. Lose points if you shoot a person.
The only thing lacking is recoil, but nothing other than a trip to the range is going to provide that.

Because you can shoot people with airsoft guns.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Because you can shoot people with airsoft guns.
It's a completely different thing. I've been shooting for many years, shooting every weekend 4 hours each time with my wife for over 5 years. It's nothing like shooting the real thing. All the anticipation of trigger pull practice and all is nothing like real shooting.

They kept talking about to check and practice trigger pull so you don't dip the barrel when pulling the trigger. I did that, but when I shoot real gun and when I forgot to count and pull the trigger on the empty chamber, I dipped the gun when pulling. Practice did not help. BUT more importantly, I put over 90% into the center black on the target at 25 yards consistently(at least at the time) and repeatedly. So.......anticipation is really NOT an issue!!

In the video in post #1 in SIRT site, the guy pointed the lazer gun at the target and hold the trigger down. You can see the lazer dot moving all over the target ( with finger holding the trigger still, not keep pulling). That's not good at all. He couldn't even hold his hand still!!! The target is very close like 5 yards, one should be able to do better, a lot better.

Go shoot the real thing.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Another thing I want to point out. It is MY opinion that people should aim before pulling the trigger even if you have very little time to aim. Do not just go bang bang bang bang like in the movie without aiming. You waste bullets and more importantly, might shoot innocent bystanders.

I came from the older days when revolvers are still popular, you only have 5 or 6 rounds. You make your bullets count, not wasting it. Now you have semi auto that can hold 17 rounds, people get into bad habit of blind shooting. That to me is not a good habit.

Also, if you carry a gun for self defense, you don't carry a Glock that is bulky. Those small semi can only carry like 6 to 7 rounds, you cannot afford to waste bullets. In Calif, you are limited to 10 rounds mag, you don't get 17 rounds also.

Also, for women particular older ones, before buying a semi auto, make sure she can rack the slide. My wife cannot rack the slide no matter what tricks I showed her. She has to stuck with revolvers which is 5 to 6 rounds only. Remember, the smaller the semi auto gun, the stronger the recoil spring has to be( that's how it is). The harder it is to rack the slide. So make sure you can rack the slide before buying the gun. I just bought a Glock 36( small one with only 10 rounds), it's harder to rack than my big S&W659. I have to practice myself to rack the slide.

Lastly, revolver is NOT that bad when size matter. I really like the Ruger LCR revolver. I actually checked the weight and compare with some of the small semi auto, it's lighter, 5 rounds vs 6 rounds of the small semi autos. It is very compatible. Most important, small semi auto is NOT as reliable as the larger ones like Glock. They jam. Nothing is worst than in life or death situation, the gun jams!!! Besides, you can get speed loaders for revolvers also. Also, revolver is double action, you just pull the trigger and it will fire. For semi autos, you have to load the chamber before you can do that. That can be dangerous. There are not too many small true double action semi auto that you can load the chamber safely. Those strike fire ones like Glock is not true double action.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, if you carry a gun for self defense, you don't carry a Glock that is bulky. Those small semi can only carry like 6 to 7 rounds, you cannot afford to waste bullets. In Calif, you are limited to 10 rounds mag, you don't get 17 rounds also.
Glocks are not bulky.
Lastly, revolver is NOT that bad when size matter. I really like the Ruger LCR revolver. I actually checked the weight and compare with some of the small semi auto, it's lighter, 5 rounds vs 6 rounds of the small semi autos. It is very compatible. Most important, small semi auto is NOT as reliable as the larger ones like Glock. They jam. Nothing is worst than in life or death situation, the gun jams!!! Besides, you can get speed loaders for revolvers also. Also, revolver is double action, you just pull the trigger and it will fire. For semi autos, you have to load the chamber before you can do that. That can be dangerous. There are not too many small true double action semi auto that you can load the chamber safely. Those strike fire ones like Glock is not true double action.
Glocks are not inherently larger, nor are larger guns always Glocks.
Your statement that smaller semi-autos are inherently less reliable is, in my experience, utter nonsense. I routinely carry a Glock 19. My wife prefers the 26. We own everything from the tiny little 42 and 43 to a suppressed extended slide 41. We also own 1911s in single and double stack variants. Sig-Sauer, Ruger, Para-Ordnance, Bersa, Beretta, Taurus... we have them all. The difference in reliability is non-existent. All of our guns have had thousands of rounds run through them without issue.
Your comment about unavailability of double action semi-autos is also completely wrong. Ruger, Beretta, Walther, Bersa, and others all sell semi-autos with safety/decockers.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Talking of stoppages on any weapon, even a magazine can cause it. Make sure your mags are cleaned too.

caped crusader

Brown Belt
Reaction score
came from the older days when revolvers are still popular, you only have 5 or 6 rounds. You make your bullets count, not wasting it.
a Revolver is definitely less likely to have a stoppage.

We also own 1911s in single and double stack variants. Sig-Sauer, Ruger, Para-Ordnance, Bersa, Beretta, Taurus... we have them all
Geeze...are you Dirty Harry? 😃

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is completely incorrect.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Glocks are not bulky.

Glocks are not inherently larger, nor are larger guns always Glocks.
Your statement that smaller semi-autos are inherently less reliable is, in my experience, utter nonsense. I routinely carry a Glock 19. My wife prefers the 26. We own everything from the tiny little 42 and 43 to a suppressed extended slide 41. We also own 1911s in single and double stack variants. Sig-Sauer, Ruger, Para-Ordnance, Bersa, Beretta, Taurus... we have them all. The difference in reliability is non-existent. All of our guns have had thousands of rounds run through them without issue.
Your comment about unavailability of double action semi-autos is also completely wrong. Ruger, Beretta, Walther, Bersa, and others all sell semi-autos with safety/decockers.
I am talking about the really small ones, Glock 19, 26 is NOT small in my book. I spent years conceal carry when I was young, it got really heavy. To me, small and light is like 14oz. When I talk small for conceal carry, I mean like Ruger LCP, Kimber, Seecamp type. We have a different definition of "small". Go on youtube, those really small ones are not all reliable. It's all on luck, some swear by it, some have problems.

You have less small true double action semi auto now. I am glad I bought a Wather PPK, it's not light, but at least it's slim. It's a true double action. I've been looking, if you have a 15oz to 17oz semi with true double action, let me know.

I wrote it wrong, I have a glock 26, not 36. It's big in my book!!! It's so thick it's not very carryable. Only like ruger LCP type I would consider carryable. I carry my Glock only if I anticipate trouble.

I have a few Beretta 92 .25ACP, it's very reliable, but small caliber. If you try looking for 9mm that is about 15oz, you will find it's hard to find a true reliable one. Go on youtube to LCP and some Kimber, it's NOT reliable. This is physics. The more powerful the rounds, the heavier the slide has to be. If you cut the weight, you have to put a stiffer recoil spring. Then the tolerance of the spring becomes very critical. Too light, it can be dangerous, too heavy, you might fail to cycle. That's why some people swear by Kimber, some trash it.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am talking about the really small ones,
So, like the 42 and 43 that I also mentioned as being guns I own.
Glock 19, 26 is NOT small in my book.
It helps if we use standard definitions instead of making up our own. The 19 is a compact pistol. The 26 is a subcompact. Your book is irrelevant.
I spent years conceal carry when I was young, it got really heavy. To me, small and light is like 14oz. When I talk small for conceal carry, I mean like Ruger LCP, Kimber, Seecamp type. We have a different definition of "small". Go on youtube, those really small ones are not all reliable. It's all on luck, some swear by it, some have problems.
All of which I own, have owned, or have used extensively with friends. You're just flat out wrong.
There are certainly unreliable pistols, both revolver and semi-auto. That isn't because of the type of gun, it's because they're junk guns made by crap companies with no goal except to be as cheap as possible.
You have less small true double action semi auto now. I am glad I bought a Wather PPK, it's not light, but at least it's slim. It's a true double action. I've been looking, if you have a 15oz to 17oz semi with true double action, let me know.
Why on earth would you want a double action semi-auto?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Geeze...are you Dirty Harry? 😃
For really light and small guns, revolver still win out. I yet to find any semi auto that can beat the Ruger LCR. Just I already have 2 S&W model 36, heavier, but hard to find an excuse to buy the LCR!!!

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So, like the 42 and 43 that I also mentioned as being guns I own.

It helps if we use standard definitions instead of making up our own. The 19 is a compact pistol. The 26 is a subcompact. Your book is irrelevant.

All of which I own, have owned, or have used extensively with friends. You're just flat out wrong.
There are certainly unreliable pistols, both revolver and semi-auto. That isn't because of the type of gun, it's because they're junk guns made by crap companies with no goal except to be as cheap as possible.

Why on earth would you want a double action semi-auto?
I want double action on the first round. Cheap guns almost always bad, expensive doesn't guaranty it's good. I do gun smithing, most of the semi auto guns need to be worked on to get it reliable ( few hundred rounds of weaker bullets without a single jam). My PPK, Colt Gold Cup .45 and S&W 659 ALL had to be worked on before it's ultra reliable. That include polishing the feed ramps, the ejector port and modify the extractors. I do accurizing too. I accurized my Gold Cup for competition.

I cannot comment on 42 as I did not own it.

That's your definition of small, to me, small is like 15oz or below and has to be slim. You conceal carry a lot for years? I did, that's why I know the importance of "small". I even went to the Freedom Arm .22magnum micro revolvers towards the end. Don't laugh, it's very powerful for the size, I'll take a 22magnum over .32ACP.

I actually chronograph the Freedom Arm 22mag in 1" and 1 3/4". The 1" is 1,100fps and the 1 3/4" is 1,300fps. Those are 4oz pistol, I can carry 2 for 8 rounds!!!

Now, this does NOT translate to North America Arms. That 3" I had only made 1,000fps. Tolerance of Freedom Arms are VERY tight. the gap between barrel and cylinder is very tight, less gas escape. I think that's the reason of the high velocity. Too bad Freedom Arms doesn't make those small ones anymore.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For really light and small guns, revolver still win out. I yet to find any semi auto that can beat the Ruger LCR. Just I already have 2 S&W model 36, heavier, but hard to find an excuse to buy the LCR!!!
More nonsense. The Ruger LCR 9mm is a 17.2oz gun. The Glock 43 is 17.99 A trivial difference.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I want double action on the first round.
But why? There is no advantage to be had by making your first round harder to fire accurately.
Cheap guns almost always bad, expensive doesn't guaranty it's good. I do gun smithing, most of the semi auto guns need to be worked on to get it reliable
In a word, horsecrap. I have never had any issue with any of the guns I've bought, right out of the box.

( few hundred rounds of weaker bullets without a single jam). My PPK, Colt Gold Cup .45 and S&W 659 ALL had to be worked on before it's ultra reliable. That include polishing the feed ramps, the ejector port and modify the extractors. I do accurizing too. I use my Gold Cup for competition.
More horsecrap. Every gun I own has been able to put 3 rounds through a single hole in aimed fire and 100 rounds through the 9 ring rapid fire. Right out of the box.
That's your definition of small,
It's not MY definition, it's the industries definition.
to me, small is like 15oz or below and has to be slim. You conceal carry a lot for years?
Only every day for the last 25 years or so.
I did, that's why I know the importance of "small". I even went to the Freedom Arm .22magnum micro revolvers towards the end. Don't laugh, it's very powerful for the size, I'll take a 22magnum over .32ACP.
I wouldn't take either. Rimfire ammo is notoriously unreliable. And useless.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But why? There is no advantage to be had by making your first round harder to fire accurately.
For safety,
In a word, horsecrap. I have never had any issue with any of the guns I've bought, right out of the box.
You must be awfully lucky.

More horsecrap. Every gun I own has been able to put 3 rounds through a single hole in aimed fire and 100 rounds through the 9 ring rapid fire. Right out of the box.
At how far? 5yds?!!!
It's not MY definition, it's the industries definition.

Only every day for the last 25 years or so.
I am not willing to lug that heavy around.
I wouldn't take either. Rimfire ammo is notoriously unreliable. And useless.
I'd take the 22mag any time of the day than 32. I never have a miss fire with tens of thousands rounds of rim fire ammo. I actually had a miss fire with the 25ACP.

You are the moderator, can you reply with a little respect. Are we supposed to be civilized or just because you are the moderator, you can do that? I think I have been very respectful in talking. can we be more civilized? I am NOT a novice, I put tens of thousands of rounds through the years and I do own over 20 guns also, and I do gun smithing. Please don't talk to me like I don't know anything. You have a different opinion, I respect that.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd take the 22mag any time of the day than 32. I never have a miss fire with tens of thousands rounds. I actually had a miss fire with the 25ACP.

You are the moderator, can you reply with a little respect. Are we supposed to be civilized or just because you are the moderator, you can do that? I think I have been very respectful in talking. can we be more civilized? I am NOT a novice, I put tens of thousands of rounds through the years and I do own over 20 guns also, and I do gun smithing. Please don't talk to me like I don't know anything. You have a different opinion, I respect that.
It's not a matter of opinion. It's a matter of using standard definitions and actual facts.
Feel free to post your opinions. But when you post things that are demonstrably false, that's no longer a matter of opinion. And if it's crap, it'll be called crap.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's a completely different thing. I've been shooting for many years, shooting every weekend 4 hours each time with my wife for over 5 years. It's nothing like shooting the real thing. All the anticipation of trigger pull practice and all is nothing like real shooting.

Exactly. There is nothing that compares to shooting real people.

Latest Discussions