Interview with Dave Sevigny

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Cheaper Than Dirt interview with Dave Sevigny...the "good stuff" starts about 1/2 way down.
http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=3261

here's a taste:
A lot of us out here don’t have access to the amount of ammunition you do. I know you’ve said you ran through over 50,000 rounds of ammunition last year. What advice do you have for new competitors who can’t afford that amount of ammunition and range time? What type of practice can we do so that we when we do go out and live fire we’re up on our game?

The number one priority for everybody is to just being able to hit what you’re aiming at. If you’re limited as to how much ammunition you’re actually burning on the range I would just shoot drills that challenge yourself.
Some of the drills I used to do were to just shoot a very small target, like maybe a 2″x4″ rectangle at 7 yards, or even just try to keep your shots in the middle of a 8.5″x11″ sheet of paper. You don’t even have to use bulls-eyes. I didn’t use bulls-eyes ever on my way up. I would just shoot at blank pieces of paper. Just practice trigger control and learning what to see. I hope I’m being clear enough.

I think we’re getting a good picture here. Do you think dry fire has a place…

Yeah, I was going to get to that. I did that extensively. You know, when you’re home you want to be handling the pistol as much as you can. You know, when people talk about dry fire they usually think about just pulling the trigger. It wasn’t just that. It’s also drawing the pistol, presenting the pistol from a ready position, performing dry reloads, and also movement drills with a dry pistol as well. Just to see how stable you can keep your shooting platform and sights when you’re moving.

Latest Discussions