Infancy of Mixed Rules combat, 1981

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Worth a look see...........
http://www.bjpenn.com/free-fight-video-before-the-ufc-there-was-the-real-life-bloodsport-kumite/

In 1981 thoughts of the UFC were nonexistent, however the groundwork for mixed rules fighting was already well underway.
Much like the popular film ‘Bloodsport’, starring Jean Claude Van Damme, Hong Kong was a hot bed for international martial arts competitions.
Check out the video clip above for some real live Kumite action from the infancy of Mixed Rules combat.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I remember seeing Ron Van Clief in one of the early UFCs, but I think by then he was 50 something. Stand up fighting has come a long way since this vid, this looks more like a local MMA bout these days.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember seeing Ron Van Clief in one of the early UFCs, but I think by then he was 50 something. Stand up fighting has come a long way since this vid, this looks more like a local MMA bout these days.

Looks more like a local kickboxing bout. Didn't even look like amateur mma.

The old video footage of some of the Brazilian Vale Tudo fights would be more appropriate to compare with new UFC/MMA rule sets.

OP
seasoned

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The final kick to the head while Ron Van Clief was down was a finisher. But, you are right they have come a long ways......