The Red Stripe Revolution.....

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Doc
Hey! Just because a person wears a diaper, doesn't mean they're young. I wouldn't be caught dead with a diaper on.......... Wait. !

You don't have to worry........ I now have invented .......... :idea: MANPONS! :rofl:

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
A brief historical review of the EPAK "red stripes" actually reveal that he decided to place the stripes on belts back when the system was in the early stages [Late '60's] to let people see and know that there were advanced ranks developing in Kenpo and to distinguish the new {during that time period} Ed Parker System from others. Many Martial Arts Systems believe that the show of rank on belts {stripes of any kind} or sashes are an arrogant and distasteful public "show off" of authority and not a humble attribute that any black belt should demonstrate.

History may be in process of repeating itself. We might be close to reverting back soon, and wear NO rank on belts or face the embarrassment of public ridicule if you do wear a belt full of red as if to say.......
"Hey! ! ! look at me, the Ultimate Great Grandmaster Super Pu Ba Lord High Mocus Mega High Pinnacle Paramount Awesome Stupendous Solitary Instructor of all that have ever breathed on this planet! [did I get them all in?]:rofl:

Whatdayathink?

I'm keeping mine, I worked like a dog for it. If a General can wear his Stars, then I'm wearing my rank!:asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7
You don't have to worry........ I now have invented .......... :idea: MANPONS! :rofl:
Manpons? I'm really afraid to ask where you put them. The other day I couldn't figure out where my earing aid was, - until I found a suppository in my ear.:confused:

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by Doc
Manpons? I'm really afraid to ask where you put them. The other day I couldn't figure out where my earing aid was, - until I found a suppository in my ear.:confused:

Too much information Doc! :barf:

B

brianhunter

Originally posted by Rob_Broad
I will drink to anything but the clubbin of baby seals....
They should wait til they are the legal age in their country to go out clubbin.:rofl:

Okay quick joke for ya......

A baby seal walks into a club

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
I look at it this way. It's not the belt that makes you a good Kenpoist it's the knowledge you retain.

Personally I wear a plain black belt. I know what degree I am and if someone asks I'll tell them. To me it is about learning the art, not the number of stripes on my belt.

:asian:

C

Crazy Chihuahua

Your belt is just a belt. You should, of course, be able to throw it away if need be, but it is alright to be happy with your accomplishments.

Another reason for stripes is to show black belts in your own system who you don't see often (different cities, etc.) where you fit in the "hierarchy." At formal events, it wouldn't do to treat a third or fourth like a fellow second because you haven't seen them for so long you forgot they tested up. You should treat everyone with respect, obviously, but to put on the good publice display, you have to know who salutes first and who speaks when, etc.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So, what's the difference between those wearing high rank? Is it objective (all 8th's know more and apply their knowledge better than all 7th's), or is it subjective (promoted because of politics, affilliation, a**-kissing). No offense intended, I'm genuinely curious about what separates high ranks. The school I'm at is run by a 5th, and the difference in skill and knowledge between the various dan ranks are pretty obvious.

kenpo3631

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mark L
So, what's the difference between those wearing high rank? Is it objective (all 8th's know more and apply their knowledge better than all 7th's), or is it subjective (promoted because of politics, affilliation, a**-kissing). No offense intended, I'm genuinely curious about what separates high ranks. The school I'm at is run by a 5th, and the difference in skill and knowledge between the various dan ranks are pretty obvious.

where do you study and who is the instructor? I a from MA too.

E

Elfan

Originally posted by Mark L

Its generally subjective. However, someone who is a 5th or whatever *should* be moving better now then when he was a 4th.

Does anyone know of any organizations (not necesarily EPAK) that have clear requirerments for higher degree black belts (ie 5th+)?

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Crazy Chihuahua
Your belt is just a belt. You should, of course, be able to throw it away if need be, but it is alright to be happy with your accomplishments.

Another reason for stripes is to show black belts in your own system who you don't see often (different cities, etc.) where you fit in the "hierarchy." At formal events, it wouldn't do to treat a third or fourth like a fellow second because you haven't seen them for so long you forgot they tested up. You should treat everyone with respect, obviously, but to put on the good publice display, you have to know who salutes first and who speaks when, etc.

I think this is basically it. Rank is your instructors opinion of you so if you are not with your instructor or fellow students then the rank has different meaning.

If you wear your rank in such a crowd, it establishes the pecking order.

If you wear your rank in a TV commercial, it is you showing everyone how good you are with your stuff/what your instructor thinks of you...

If you wear your belt to go shopping at the Grocery or the Mall it means that you are delerious. :D

I wrote somewhere on the site about Rank and Position. Wearing your rank amongst a group of "others" doesn't serve the purpose Mr. Parker outlined in Infinite Insights.

Personally, I am not likely going to ever have to worry about wearing a Bar or 5 stripes, but a bar is prescribed for that rank if Mr. Duffy gives it to me.

And since Mr. Parker finally endorsed the belt ranking system as a motivation and training aid, then you should be proud of your rank and wear it when you are called upon to do so.

If I'm not mistaken in the NCKKA a black belt could wear a Black Belt as they wished, but at formal NCKKA functions you had to wear your properly striped belt. Mr. Duffy mentioned once that he had a "formal" belt for those banquets and stuff. This seems logical to me as described above because it is only in such a setting that your "degree of black belt" has proper meaning.

I have more silly opinions but I agree with Crazy Chihuahua and Mr. C on this, you should be proud of your rank and there are times when you should wear it.

Oh, I was also going to say that not wearing your stripes would seem to indicate that you are insecure about them or embarassed by them. I know I've heard that Mr. Planas recently "accepted" a 10th from somewhere and that he was very reluctant to take a 9th before that. I think he has now gone to wearing a plain black belt.

And if you look at some of the pictures on Mr. LaBounty's website, he tucks his belt in so that no stripes show at all. Just a black belt.

Maybe this is evidence of some of the Seniors going back to "basic black."

I also don't think I've seen a picture of Mr. C with his 5th or 6th stripes on. I think at Seig's seminar he had just a plain black belt.

So there are 3 guys who seem to be in favor of wearing just a black belt, at least when in mixed company as it were.

I know Mr. C didn't have stripes on in the picture I got with him at camp last year partially because his promotion was recent.

When I see Mr. Planas next weekend (for my first seminar with him) I'll notice what belt he is wearing, but it would probably not be a good idea for me to ask him about this topic off the bat. I have not seen him since I interviewed him for the Homecoming Video. But if he brings it up, I'll probably follow up with a question.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by cdhall
I have more silly opinions but I agree with Crazy Chihuahua and Mr. C on this, you should be proud of your rank and there are times when you should wear it.

Agreed here as well.

I also don't think I've seen a picture of Mr. C with his 5th or 6th stripes on.

There are very few pictures on peoples websites. You'll need to spend time searching I guess.

When I see Mr. Planas next weekend (for my first seminar with him) I'll notice what belt he is wearing,

It will be a plain black one with a lot of gray.

If you wear your belt to go shopping at the Grocery or the Mall it means that you are delerious.

One of my biggest pet peeves. (sigh)

As far as I'm concerned on the topic at hand people can wear what they wish. At a seminar though I would prefer to see people with stripes just to give an idea where they should be at material wise. In class I could care less if anyone wore a belt at all. Just my couple of pennies.

H

hatamotoyoshi

well i am proud of my belts,
kanzen, e-pak,even my generic orange from an unrecognized system.
i certainly hope some of the awarding is for knowledge,
as i am getting older and to ask me to "move" with the speed and strength i had as a youngman,well it ain't gonna happen.
still at gradings i'm always surprised at what i can still do.
hopefully technique can help me with my (gradual i hope)
decline in physical ability.
keep smilin yoshi:asian:

K

Kirk

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
It will be a plain black one with a lot of gray.

Of the 3 Huk seminars I've attended, this was true in the first
two. At the last one just 2 months ago, he was sporting a brand
new black belt, no stripes. He had a majorly cool gi on, which had
a HUGE embroidered "huk patch" on the back. He said someone
in Canada hand made it, and gave it to him as a gift. I'd be willing
to bet, that if Huk were given one with stripes as a gift, he'd wear
it. Huk's cool that way. He truly thinks the world of his students,
just as they think the world of him.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk
Of the 3 Huk seminars I've attended, this was true in the first
two. At the last one just 2 months ago, he was sporting a brand
new black belt, no stripes.

He He:rofl: ,
Maybe he had to retire that old thing finally. I haven't seen him since last Aug. I believe. Anyway it looked as if it were being held together by a few threads.:)

Latest Discussions