The Red Stripe Revolution.....

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
KenpoGirl said:
Seems to me if all the black belts were a solid black belts the only way you'd know if a person had more knowledge skill than another is by example, ie on the mat.

Hi Dot good to see you on the forum, how are things?

Anyway I would just like to raise one point and that is this.

We all agree that on the mats is the best place to test a persons skill and knowledge agreed. However take the following situation

A person who has trained in an art for say 40 years and has attained the highest rank possible through sheer hard work guts determination and gathering of knowledge over the years, is now in the unfortunate situation where they have become physically disabled, they can no longer perform on the mats but should the wealth of their knowledge no be discarded cos they can't prove it in a one to one or one to many situation.

Having said that you could have a disabled person who has done nothing but study the arts either visually or on paper and knows what is expected just he cannot perform now he cannot get rank because he cannot prove physically what he knows or can he get rank?

Just a couple of questions what do people think?

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Those pictures scared the H*** out of me and stunted me out of 10 years growth Dennis!

Insofar as rank ... Rank, itself, is a nebulous thing. The true spirit of the rank system is the respect you give to your "elders". Thus you have the titles of both respect and affection. For example, I could never call Doc Chapél, "Master", but I will always call him Doc, and that phrase, for me, carries more respect and affection for the man than any "rank" that he will ever have bestowed on him. Kind of like all the first stringers calling SGM Parker, "Old Man".

Dennis, on the other hand, needs to go back to the red-rimmed gi pants.
:uhyeah:

Rank is such a fleeting thing that is easily bestowed and taken away, and in the end it is the knowledge that counts. Actually, it counts even more than ability. As we get older, infirmed or otherwise, we all lose physical ability to some degree or other, but the knowledge will be there until we aren't.

Beside that ... If you get too out of hand and disrespectful of the rank involved, you may always run the risk of a rap on the beak. :rofl:

JenniM

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Goldendragon7 said:
Ohhhhhhh Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

:anic: :barf: :anic:

One Black Knight in history under Arthur is enough!

:jedi1:
Hey... Sir Percy of Scandia (alias the Black Knight) was an imposter with blond hair and blue eyes - its time we had a REAL one!!!:jediduel:Its been a long time since we last chatted on the IM Mr Conatser.:wavey:

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
JenniM said:
Hey... Sir Percy of Scandia (alias the Black Knight) was an imposter with blond hair and blue eyes - its time we had a REAL one!!!:jediduel:Its been a long time since we last chatted on the IM Mr Conatser.:wavey:
Scandia probably means Scandinavia, so it kinda makes sense really...:)

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
JenniM said:
Hey... Sir Percy of Scandia (alias the Black Knight) was an imposter with blond hair and blue eyes.
Caution !!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the same guy!!!!! (don't let his disguise fool you)

JenniM said:
Its been a long time since we last chatted on the IM Mr Conatser.:wavey:
Yes, too long......:) Hope all is well!!

:asian:

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenposikh said:
Hi Dot good to see you on the forum, how are things?

Pssst.. Look at the date posted by Dot.. was 2 yrs ago~!!
;)

Speaking of Red Piping.. I sure hope you don't expect us to have it on our Gi's by the time we go to Sydney next month Mr. C. ~!!!

kenposikh

Blue Belt
Reaction score
KenpoTess said:
Pssst.. Look at the date posted by Dot.. was 2 yrs ago~!!
;)
QUOTE]

Sshhhhh keep it under your hat, I still think my post stands though hopefully someone will read it :)