Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Michael Billings
Rich,

One 5" red bar for 5th, a half inch, or is it inch separation and another 5' bar for 10th. The permutations between 5th and 10th are a 5" bar and appropriate stripes.

-Michael

Thank you Sir. :asian:

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk
So it's still up to the one wearing the belt.

It usually is up to your instructor or the organization you belong to. I'd check with him first, some may have traditions that you might want to follow.

The stripes are earned (or should be) and should be worn proudly. Just like earning a degree {certificate} .. people work hard for them, and once they do achieve the goal, many display their degree {certificate} proudly, in an expensive frame. Also, if you're a school owner, it's damned good marketing.

I quite agree!!

What I personally don't care for is the one stripe.

Then maybe you shouldn't get one, {making a note just in case I happen to be around when you test} hee hee..... I know I was awfully proud of my "1" stripe on my black belt when I got it! .... Are you afraid someone is going to notice that you are only a "JR." instructor? :rofl: We all started there at the bottom mister......... so suck it up and ............... "IF" ......... "IF" you ever get one, be proud of it!! ....... Mr. Purple Belt... Humphnhhhhhh
:)

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rich Parsons
By the one 1" stripe are you referring to First Degree?

Attachments

• $belt_black1.gif
    $belt_black1.gif
    558 bytes · Views: 283

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mr. C,

Hello sir! I was just thinking about this topic and I wanted to ask if Mr. Parker had a specific time limit to advance in rank passed Black Belt?

I have heard that it was just when it was felt that the rank was deserved. I also heard there was at least a limit of three years and I once heard you wanted to the number of years equal to the rank you were working on.

Are any of these true?

Thank you for your insight in advance sir! Hope all is well.

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer
UPK Pittsburgh

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by True2Kenpo
I wanted to ask if Mr. Parker had a specific time limit to advance in rank passed Black Belt?
Joshua Ryer UPK Pittsburgh

Yes, he did have a guideline to follow (just like everything else "organized"), he did vary it (no surprise here "flexible") just like he did when teaching techniques. Since he was the "captain of his own ship" he did what he felt necessary in each individual instance [again, no surprise "tailoring'].

I have heard that it was just when it was felt that the rank was deserved.

In some cases ....... yes.

I also heard there was at least a limit of three years between black belt ranks.

Again, this is possible but not what he outlined....... for 1st black it was usually 1 -2 years before you were promoted to 2nd. After that he did have a schedule to follow, only as a guide for those that needed it since he was not always accessible to talk to everyone each day. So this gave them something to think about but not to get hung up on, like many have.

I once heard you wanted to the number of years you have studied between Black Belt degrees to equal to the rank you were working on.

Once again this is very possible for some, in fact some other systems equate age and time in grade similar to this but certainly not the norm. This would be up to you...... if we followed it.... hmmmmm we may not have any 10ths because they would need to study at least 59 years so only a couple would even come close to qualify LOL ....

Lets see......

5 years to get 1st = 5
2 more years for 2nd = 7
3 more years for 3rd = 10
4 more years for 4th = 14
5 more years for 4th = 19
6 more years for 4th = 25
7 more years for 4th = 32
8 more years for 4th = 40
9 more years for 4th = 49
10 more years for 4th = 59

of course this is added to that age you started at......LOL

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Goldendragon7
Yes, he did have a guideline to follow (just like everything else "organized"), he did vary it (no surprise here "flexible") just like he did when teaching techniques. Since he was the "captain of his own ship" he did what he felt necessary in each individual instance [again, no surprise "tailoring'].

In some cases ....... yes.

Again, this is possible but not what he outlined....... for 1st black it was usually 1 -2 years before you were promoted to 2nd. After that he did have a schedule to follow, only as a guide for those that needed it since he was not always accessible to talk to everyone each day. So this gave them something to think about but not to get hung up on, like many have.

Once again this is very possible for some, in fact some other systems equate age and time in grade similar to this but certainly not the norm. This would be up to you...... if we followed it.... hmmmmm we may not have any 10ths because they would need to study at least 59 years so only a couple would even come close to qualify LOL ....

Lets see......

5 years to get 1st = 5
2 more years for 2nd = 7
3 more years for 3rd = 10
4 more years for 4th = 14
5 more years for 4th = 19
6 more years for 4th = 25
7 more years for 4th = 32
8 more years for 4th = 40
9 more years for 4th = 49
10 more years for 4th = 59

of course this is added to that age you started at......LOL
probably this should be the norm. Of course exceptions are always there. A good sixth or 7th should be just like youself, age wise and knowledge wise. We've got people in diapers running around wearing these ranks right now.LOL

I have always admired you for your patience and consideration.

:asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenmpoka
probably this should be the norm. Of course exceptions are always there. A good sixth or 7th should be just like youself, age wise and knowledge wise. We've got people in diapers running around wearing these ranks right now.LOL

Hey! Just because a person wears a diaper, doesn't mean they're young. Not that I'm talking about me or anything, I was just mentioning it. I wouldn't be caught dead with a diaper on. Wait. Scratch that, no don't scratch, I mean........... Aw just forget it!

J

jeffkyle

The short version is something like:

You start out in diapers.
You add your age.
Then you subtract your age.
Then you end up in diapers.

Something like that anyway...:D

:rofl: :rofl:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also, if you're a school owner, it's damned good marketing.
Competition for business has also driven ranks unneccessarily upward. Consumers asked dumb questions. "You're a 5th, but the guy down the street is a 6th so he's better right?" :shrug:

I came through the era when Mr. Parker and most didn't wear stripes, nor did the uniform have a lot of markings. Plain belt, plain white uniform. I looked at an old sparring session with Joe Lewis and we looked sooooo "plain." Two patches were considered gawdy and in poor taste. Ed Parker only wore the one patch, a plain belt, and I followed his lead.

I generally wore no stripes before 6th, and didn't wear those all the time because I felt I needed to learn so much more and was self conscious about such a lofty rank. (I seem to remember Dennis Conatser seeing my 6th striped belt in my bag at Mr. Parker house at a session we were having, and he asked me why I didn't wear it instead of the plain belt I had on.)

I HATED the "Official IKKA Uniform" that could have as many as 6 patches on it BEFORE you went to the Internationals and started lining patches down your arm or leg.

But when Mr. Parker wore it, so did I. Guess what? He hated it too, but it was a part of marketing. He only wore it when he taught in public. he knew everybody wanted to see that belt with all those stripes. "Wowwww that's Mr. Parker." Of course you had to wear the system patch, association rocker, school rocker, name rocker, universal, and eternal flame and your belt stripes. After all Ed Parker wore it when he came. Mr. Parker was even working on another system patch to trasnsition people into the IKKA.

Then there were the creative specialized uniforms some came up with to be distinctive, with red piping for black belts, green piping for green belts, brown piping for brown.

One well known black belt had these really AWFUL bell bottom uniform pants with an embroidered and lacy split at the bottom. (I can't seem to remember his name :) for a fee) and he had this Chuck Norris "helmet" hairdo and these long mutton chop sideburns. What a hippie he was. The black guys hair when up and the white guys hair went down. Peace baby and "free the Jackson Five." (except Tito)

The commercial revolution created loads of patches, insignias (including Budweiser), stripes, bells, whistles, bell bottoms, embroidery, lace trim, names, headbands, sticks, sticks with string, knives, stars, masks, T-shirts, pockets, elastic, polyester, psychodelic prints, foot pads, hand pads, head pads, nut pads, knee pads, shin pads, arm pads, bags, boom boxes, smoke, mirrors, music, flags, sunglasses, hats, jewelry, necklaces, tournaments, grandmasters, Great grandmasters, super duper grandmasters, sifu's, sensei's, his holiness, touch knockouts, no touch knockouts, chi, ki, car ki, house ki, trunk ki, pass ki, hotel ki, etc.

Awww forget it, I gotta go.........

H

hatamotoyoshi

yeah i went from one system to another , in the first i had a green belt with 3 black stripes to show i was ready to grade for blue.
then in the system i went over to a green was higher than a blue
so i ended up with a blue belt no stripes but i'm on to advanced blue now so i get a black stripe.
really i'm ready for a different kind of belt....
involving two fingers of whiskey and a couple of ice cubes:rofl:

R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by hatamotoyoshi
yeah i went from one system to another , in the first i had a green belt with 3 black stripes to show i was ready to grade for blue.
then in the system i went over to a green was higher than a blue
so i ended up with a blue belt no stripes but i'm on to advanced blue now so i get a black stripe.
really i'm ready for a different kind of belt....
involving two fingers of whiskey and a couple of ice cubes:rofl:

I'll drink to that:cheers:

B

brianhunter

Originally posted by Doc
Competition for business has also driven ranks unneccessarily upward. Consumers asked dumb questions. "You're a 5th, but the guy down the street is a 6th so he's better right?" :shrug:

I came through the era when Mr. Parker and most didn't wear stripes, nor did the uniform have a lot of markings. Plain belt, plain white uniform. I looked at an old sparring session with Joe Lewis and we looked sooooo "plain." Two patches were considered gawdy and in poor taste. Ed Parker only wore the one patch, a plain belt, and I followed his lead.

I generally wore no stripes before 6th, and didn't wear those all the time because I felt I needed to learn so much more and was self conscious about such a lofty rank. (I seem to remember Dennis Conatser seeing my 6th striped belt in my bag at Mr. Parker house at a session we were having, and he asked me why I didn't wear it instead of the plain belt I had on.)

I HATED the "Official IKKA Uniform" that could have as many as 6 patches on it BEFORE you went to the Internationals and started lining patches down your arm or leg.

But when Mr. Parker wore it, so did I. Guess what? He hated it too, but it was a part of marketing. He only wore it when he taught in public. he knew everybody wanted to see that belt with all those stripes. "Wowwww that's Mr. Parker." Of course you had to wear the system patch, association rocker, school rocker, name rocker, universal, and eternal flame and your belt stripes. After all Ed Parker wore it when he came. Mr. Parker was even working on another system patch to trasnsition people into the IKKA.

Then there were the creative specialized uniforms some came up with to be distinctive, with red piping for black belts, green piping for green belts, brown piping for brown.

One well known black belt had these really AWFUL bell bottom uniform pants with an embroidered and lacy split at the bottom. (I can't seem to remember his name :) for a fee) and he had this Chuck Norris "helmet" hairdo and these long mutton chop sideburns. What a hippie he was. The black guys hair when up and the white guys hair went down. Peace baby and "free the Jackson Five." (except Tito)

The commercial revolution created loads of patches, insignias (including Budweiser), stripes, bells, whistles, bell bottoms, embroidery, lace trim, names, headbands, sticks, sticks with string, knives, stars, masks, T-shirts, pockets, elastic, polyester, psychodelic prints, foot pads, hand pads, head pads, nut pads, knee pads, shin pads, arm pads, bags, boom boxes, smoke, mirrors, music, flags, sunglasses, hats, jewelry, necklaces, tournaments, grandmasters, Great grandmasters, super duper grandmasters, sifu's, sensei's, his holiness, touch knockouts, no touch knockouts, chi, ki, car ki, house ki, trunk ki, pass ki, hotel ki, etc.

Awww forget it, I gotta go.........

Man every time you old timers ramble on I learn something LOL please feel free to have another "senior" moment at any time :asian:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by brianhunter
Man every time you old timers ramble on I learn something LOL please feel free to have another "senior" moment at any time :asian:

Hey what are you talkin' about? I'm not having any kind of a senior moment. That's insulting and totally wrong. Why I have you know.... that......I uh,.... I uh, ....I uh, I......................

What were we talking about?:confused:

R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
But then again, you'll drink to ANYTHING!!:drinkbeer

:rofl:

I will drink to anything but the clubbin of baby seals....
They should wait til they are the legal age in their country to go out clubbin.:rofl:

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenmpoka
Probably this should be the norm. Of course exceptions are always there. A good sixth or 7th should be just like yourself, age wise and knowledge wise. We've got people in diapers running around wearing these ranks right now.LOL

Well, at this point, I pretty much hit the norm of this chart oddly enough:( Yes, there are some out there that are quite young and wearing some mighty high ranks I agree. There are also those that boast of multi black belts... some have 5,6 7,8 or more ranks {and not just 1 -4 degrees either ..... some are high ranks} in several different systems and are in their late 30's or early 40's..... go figure..... either the systems are weak or there is the old good ole' boy promotions going on.:rofl: I don't know who they are trying to fool [well, yes I do..... the newbie's or lower ranked students], but don't they realize that it is a bit silly to claim all these ranks and expect to be good at "ALL" of them? It defies my personal logic or I need to know what I am missing.

Thank you for the kind words. I am very proud of my lineage and past instruction, which has not always been the easiest road with the likes of Mr./s Coots, Swan, LaBounty, or Parker, but certainly has taught me to pass on Strong Basics, Knowledge, Reality, Logic, and to keep the Quality High at all costs! again, thank you.