The Rapex

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From Wikipedia:

Anti-rape female condom.

The device is a latex sheath held firm by shafts of sharp, inward-facing microscopic barbs that would be worn by a woman in her vagina like a tampon. Should an attacker attempt vaginal rape, the penis would penetrate the latex and be hooked by the barbs, causing the attacker pain and (ideally) giving the victim time to escape. The condom would remain attached to the attacker's body and could be removed only surgically which would, hypothetically, alert hospital staff and police.

There is much criticism regading this new form of defence by women, some of which I agree with and some of which I don't. If you are a rapist and going to rape someone, I feel no pain for you, for potentially feeling pain yourself. However, I do agree that it could cause more harm to the rape victim and throw the rapist into a rage.

On the other hand, this weapon could be used for revenge as well, causing undo pain and suffering and marking someone as a rapist, when in fact, it was consensual.

What does everyone else think?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If front door is mined, attacker try back door.

While a good idea in thought, if I were a rapist, I'd carry a rubber dong and use it to 'test' first. I'd probably not be gentle in doing so, which would cause more physical damage to the woman.

I don't think this particular device will help in the long run, but cause more violent attacks.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

While a good idea in thought, if I were a rapist, I'd carry a rubber dong and use it to 'test' first. I'd probably not be gentle in doing so, which would cause more physical damage to the woman.

I don't think this particular device will help in the long run, but cause more violent attacks.

I cannot add anymore to what Bob said except..The male (now injuried by this internal device) takes his revenge out the the wearer by inflicting a brutal beating...

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

With regards to the front door comment, there is no way of knowing that this even exists inside a woman, so if you found it, umm..well...too late to try the back door, sorta speak.

I agree that it is a good idea in thought, it does, however, bring out some problems as you states above.

I cannot add anymore to what Bob said except..The male (now injuried by this internal device) takes his revenge out the the wearer by inflicting a brutal beating...

Yes, this was mentioned in the wikipedia posting as well. Potentially the rapist could become outraged. The hope is that it will cause enough pain to allow the rape victim to get away from their attacker.

My question is, who would wear one? Who ever believes there is a potential to be raped?

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
With the rapist already on top of, and inside the woman, how is she supposed to flee?????

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
With the rapist already on top of, and inside the woman, how is she supposed to flee?????

You do have a point but...

Would it not be instinct to withdraw and roll over in pain?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The idea is, once this gets out, and a few *******s get caught because of it, serious rapists will start checking before hand. This might require them to be more aggressive, and if they find it, upping the violence another notch as retaliation.

It's not a matter of not knowing, it's a matter of thinking of checking first.

The company marketing this is going to push the whole "stick this up there, and you'll be safe." crap.

Well, lets be blunt. To rape you, I have to attack you. It won't stop my attack. You're already going to have been attacked, stripped, possibly beaten up. And, you're still going to be forcibly violated. It won't jump out on me, I have to be inside of you, for this to work. It might make me easier to find later, but you'll still have been raped.

Oh, the risk might stop more casual and random rape, and cut back on some date-rape situations.

But the serious rapist, who stalks his prey, who lies in wait on bike trails and jogging paths...he'll have something along with his duct tape, gag, rope and knife to test for traps. When you deal with guys who will shave all body hair, wear a condom, and rubber gloves...what's it really to spend $10 for a rubber dicky to keep from getting their gear snagged in a bastard-trap?

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Would it not be instinct to withdraw and roll over in pain?

I have seen videos of guys kicked square in the cubes and it stops their attack for a moment and then it resumes with more ferocity..

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Isn't there a possibility of the rapist bleeding (risk of aids)? Although, I guess at that point, it wouldn't really matter...

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From Wikipedia:

There is much criticism regading this new form of defence by women, some of which I agree with and some of which I don't. If you are a rapist and going to rape someone, I feel no pain for you, for potentially feeling pain yourself. However, I do agree that it could cause more harm to the rape victim and throw the rapist into a rage.

On the other hand, this weapon could be used for revenge as well, causing undo pain and suffering and marking someone as a rapist, when in fact, it was consensual.

Thre was a recent "Family Guy" episode. Lois the wife became the Mayor to clean up the local lake from pollution. No one wants a tax increase to do it. So she then says tht "Terrorists" are using the lake. So one guy from the crowd as he is throwing money towards the fronts says, "Please tell me how much money before I can feel safe again".

This device is about feeling safe somehow. Not being a female I cannot understand how one feels about or fears such an event. Or how far one will go to feel safe. So please excuse my maleness and lack of understanding.

From what I have read Rape is not about Sex but about violence and comincance and control. So if the person involved is there for violence then this device while having the possibility to slow them down, it has the option of making it much worse in my opinion. (* Not trying to say the beating is worse than the mental trauma already experienced, and not trying to compare the two, but the comment refers to physical damage could/would be worse. *)

As to a woman who is about to file for divorce or someone else who is mad, they can state they have a new device they want to try, and either use it inside themselves and be on top to get away easily or to apply directly to the male. (* He could be just having eyes closed as requested or anything else that the mind can thinking of to have him unable to respond. *)

Of course the same said woman could use other devices if they are determined, the only issue is that the local medical will make assumptions about the device.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score

If a man thinks getting his car keyed by a spurned ex was bad, he should definitely beware of her suggestion of a goodbye hookup! I think a device (weapon?) like this is more likely to be used for offense than for defense.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Isn't there a possibility of the rapist bleeding (risk of aids)? Although, I guess at that point, it wouldn't really matter...
Possibly, though I don't think the average rapist worries about it. Also in theory, his blood should be contained within the device.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If a man thinks getting his car keyed by a spurned ex was bad, he should definitely beware of her suggestion of a goodbye hookup! I think a device (weapon?) like this is more likely to be used for offense than for defense.

This is, to me, one of the more worrisome scenarios out there. The Rapex doesn't differentiate between consensual sex and rape. And some guy who honestly thought he was having one last roll in the hay has to come to the hospital in severe pain to have this thing surgically removed and be thought of immediately as a rapist, when nothing further could be from the truth. I am not saying he isn't an *******, but an ******* isn't a rapist.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score

I don't think it'll make a difference. As others have said, it might cause a decline in the short run, but that just means attackers will alter their tactics and things will be worse than ever. Would-be attackers will either "check first", or go with more "back-door" attacks, which one might think are MORE painful and prone to long-term damage.

As far as revenge, *shrug*. It's not like a woman can't just SAY she was raped and cause permanent damage to a guy anyway, even if he's exonerated. It would also be alot easier, as others have mentioned the departing roll in the hay, to "spill" the contents rather than use one of these and potentially risk a lawsuit for assault.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very simply, I don't think it will make any significant change.

First -- I suspect that there won't be man women who want to use it. MAYBE briefly, in an area where there is a highly visible serial rapist. And, maybe, someplace like a college campus for women afraid of date rape.

Second -- you're trying to attribute reasoning behavior to an offense that is not "reasonable." As a broad rule, rape is not about sex. Rape is about violence. Rape is about control and domination. If rapists got off by sex -- they wouldn't need to go out and rape...

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From Wikipedia:

There was a show on the History channel where this was one of the "devices" that came up, as one of the social experts pointed out, there are not going to be many women who are so afraid that they want to have to make the wearing and hassle of such device a daily ritual, not to mention if it were consentual, it could kind of take the fun out of the moment when the woman says "excuse me while I remove my...". It might be a great idea but I don't think it is even remotely practical. Might as well wear a chastity belt! :)

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is, to me, one of the more worrisome scenarios out there. The Rapex doesn't differentiate between consensual sex and rape. And some guy who honestly thought he was having one last roll in the hay has to come to the hospital in severe pain to have this thing surgically removed and be thought of immediately as a rapist, when nothing further could be from the truth. I am not saying he isn't an *******, but an ******* isn't a rapist.

Oh and what about the "Oops sorry hon, I forgot to take it out... I am sorry" :rofl:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Someone needs to tell these well intended morons that there's a hellva lot more to rape than forcible vaginal intercourse. No amount of pain inflicted upon the attacker is going to ease the black eyes, bruises on various points of the body, the humiliation, the fear, shock and shame.

Likewise there are vindictive women out there and there are women who would be so cruel to feign forgiveness and offer make-up sex and... well you know.

Likewise how do they guarantee the woman's safety? Can they be sure that a woman won't get a defective one?

Who would issue it out? As mentioned earlier what woman KNOWS she's gonna get raped? If she's been previously threatened or is legitimately stalked then perhaps yeah as a precaution.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doing some research on the inventor of Rapex, Sonette Ehlers, you find a story of a medical researcher who, was inspired after meeting a traumatized rape victim who said "I wish I had teeth down there"

Ms. Ehlers invented the Rapex because of the alarming rate of south african women who fear rape in a country with the worlds worst sexual assault record.

So I sit here and think. If I lived there and I feared for my safety day in and day out and for the safety of my children, I perhaps wouldn't be so quick to discount this device as medievil and crude. I may just be fitting my children with one for their protection. Its sad but true what fear will bring you to do to protect yourselves and your loved ones.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Doing some research on the inventor of Rapex, Sonette Ehlers, you find a story of a medical researcher who, was inspired after meeting a traumatized rape victim who said "I wish I had teeth down there"

Ms. Ehlers invented the Rapex because of the alarming rate of south african women who fear rape in a country with the worlds worst sexual assault record.

So I sit here and think. If I lived there and I feared for my safety day in and day out and for the safety of my children, I perhaps wouldn't be so quick to discount this device as medievil and crude. I may just be fitting my children with one for their protection. Its sad but true what fear will bring you to do to protect yourselves and your loved ones.

Well if the chances are higher where you live that a woman/child will be raped/assaulted then maybe it is an idea... provided that would be rapists need to be aware of it. Not to help protect them but to let them know that the potential of getting a sticky condom is going to be higher once this device is spread out among the female populace... it may just deter them enough... however, anal rape is just as satisfactory to those beasts and oral rape as well. Are they going to make anti-rape devices for those orifices?

Back to the percentages of one area being more risky of rape than another. What's the difference between say a woman walking home from the bus stop late at night from work in Brooklyn, or in East L.A. or in the seedier sides of every major city? How about those podunk towns out in the middle of nowhere that sport a bar... How about in europe? Asia? Are a woman's chances lower? Probably not.

Latest Discussions