The rant thread

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That crap annoys the hell outta me. Unless they know what they're talking about. Usually I only listen to Doug Wilson, Tim Bathurst, George Ohashi, Mark O'Brien, Sean Askew, Kevin Millis, Bill Atkins & the like. Not just any shmoe that wanders in and speaks a little nihongo.

Story: Once when I was at Ayase, one of the Japanese shihan that doesn't train with Soke very often came in and Soke called him up and to put it simply embarrassed him in general. They were doing muto dori from dai jodan, yoko aruki to evade and then step in blocking the return cut at the tsuba or hand/disarm or whatever. He must have had this guy repeat it over I don't know, 30 times or something. Everyone was embarrassed for the guy (name starts with Na-, teaches in Tokyo, you might know who I'm talking about).

Anyways, this Aussie next to me asked me what Soke was saying to the guy. I told him that Soke was telling him he should come and train more. We laughed and then some snobby Brit kicks in and admonished me on not talking unless I actually "knew what Soke was trying to convey" and then went off on this detailed woo-woo description of that last five minutes of dialog. Later at the bar, George told me that I REALLY got what Soke was saying.

"Shut Up and Train." It just never gets old, huh?

Hey Doc definately some good people on your list!
icon6.gif

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is my rant for the day: A high ranking Budo Taijutsu practitioner actually was rude emailing one of my practitioners who makes absolutely great fukuro shinai which you can see at my website store. What he said was that he would not buy them because they were crap because they were not Tombo fukuro shinai. Note this person has never seen the quality of my students work and has no idea what they are like or what he is talking about! End of the rant!

Note I like Tim Bathurst's Tombo Weapons line and have bought them in the past! Still the market is big enough for more than one high quality manufacture of quality fukuro shinai!!!
icon6.gif

The motto is: Do not talk about something that you know nothing about!!!

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Note I like Tim Bathurst's Tombo Weapons line and have bought them in the past! Still the market is big enough for more than one high quality manufacture of quality fukuro shinai!!!
icon6.gif

Definitely! I like Tim's training weapons also, but as you say, there is certainly an available market for them here.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BTW - "shut up and train" is an evil, lethargic, hypocritical myth.

That's a forum signature or t-shirt material for you.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why do people you meet for the first time insist on always asking how long you've been training?

I really don't believe that people ask that for any other real reason but to determine how lenient they can be with the fact that you suck.

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Why do people you meet for the first time insist on always asking how long you've been training?

I really don't believe that people ask that for any other real reason but to determine how lenient they can be with the fact that you suck.

So, what's wrong with that reason?

But seriously, if I'm training with someone who is very good in a short time I'm going to want to know how they've done it so I can do it too.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So, what's wrong with that reason?

Primarily the fact that it's not fair. Everyone performs worse outside their own dojo.

But seriously, if I'm training with someone who is very good in a short time I'm going to want to know how they've done it so I can do it too.

You can't do it too, because he doesn't live anywhere near you.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I think it's called an "ice breaker."

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Primarily the fact that it's not fair. Everyone performs worse outside their own dojo.

I'm not interested in 'fair'. It's not some sort of game. I do know, however, that someone with 20 years training is less likely to do something stupidly dangerous than someone training 1 year. Both of these people can be wearing black belts, but I'll treat the latter differently.

You can't do it too, because he doesn't live anywhere near you.

This was a hypothetical person, so you don't know where he lives is relation to me. However, I've been known to visit teachers on the other side of the world, wherever this hypothetical teacher is, I can either go to him; have him in for a seminar at my place; or just be sure to get to all of his seminars. I'll make it work. It's much harder to find the right people to train with then it is to get to them. The only way to get good at this stuff is to find a way to make it work.

Ok, lets pretent this hypo. teacher is in some strange black hole that I can't get to. I'll train with you then. If you've been training half as long are twice as good I'll travel to you AND buy you a beer afterward, 'cause you clearly have a more efficient way of looking at things.

Latest Discussions