The old way

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
The more I teach beginers the more I see me as a traditionalist.
As I told you before my sambonim has three couples that are learning TKD wiht him three nights per week and they also learn TKD with me two nights per week, one of the students aproached me and told me he likes my class a lot and told me why.

This young doctor said to me that sambonim class is almost all kicking drills and he liked this cause it's a good cardio workout and he likes my classes too because I see more things besides kicking, like basics,poomsae,one steps,etc.

I am teaching what I was taught back in the 80's at Jido Kwan HQ, back in those days we pay atention to vocabulary (korean) and almost all techs that TKD has, we did poomsae and the way we spar was rough, maybe at that time we did not so much hoping and bounce but our techs were more stable and powerful I think.

Maybe I found my own niche and I am liking a lot, so these guys are getting the best of both worlds, the actual KKW/WTF way and the KKW/Clasic TKD.

I am not shy to say that maybe I was caught on the past about my way of do TKD because that's the way I like it, competition for me is something we must try but it's not all my thing, sport tkd it's not mandatory in my class.

Call me square, call me out of date but as KC and Sunshine bad sings... That's the way aha aha I Like it!!!

Manny

SPX

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think all classes need a balance. It's good to do some of this and some of that. Any time you're focusing 80% of your attention on one thing you're out of balance.

I also think the best classes are those that retain their traditional roots while also acknowledging that training does, and always will, evolve over time. So again, balance.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I feel the same way you do Manny. The school where I train just changed things up a bit, where on odd numbered days we spar and work on self defense, on even numbered days we work on forms. What I don't like is that much of the sparring is geared towards tournament point fighting which really isn't my cup of tea. There are some sparring classes where we just work on free sparring which I prefer. I personally feel that the tournament prep stuff should be seperate from the regular classes, just because there are folks like myself that really aren't into the tournament competition part of it.

Latest Discussions