The myth of fights starting on the feet

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always see this said right after someone talks about 90% of the fights go to the ground. Someone will respond with "But, 100% of fights start on their feet".

I have seen plenty of fights that didn't start that way. A lot of them involved one guy standing and picking a fight with someone while they were still seated. Also, consider a date rape situation where the fight literally will start while they are on the ground already.

There are no absolutes in ANYTHING when it comes to self-defense. You have to try and prepare for all situations that may arise whether it be standing, sitting or lying down.

Ok...rant off. :)

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
punisher73 said:
I always see this said right after someone talks about 90% of the fights go to the ground. Someone will respond with "But, 100% of fights start on their feet".

I have seen plenty of fights that didn't start that way. A lot of them involved one guy standing and picking a fight with someone while they were still seated. Also, consider a date rape situation where the fight literally will start while they are on the ground already.

There are no absolutes in ANYTHING when it comes to self-defense. You have to try and prepare for all situations that may arise whether it be standing, sitting or lying down.

bottom line is 100% of serious situations are happening when it's most weird for you. It's always in a position you're not comfortable with. It's rare that a fight will continue the way it starts.
What's the moral of your story though?
i'd say being prepared to fight in any position. Train more and more until you are comfortable applying your fighting principles given any circumstances.
thanks for this thread

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good point. I think the lesson here is if you really want to be able to defend yourself you had better learn to fight from every position and every angle. :asian:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
green meanie said:
Good point. I think the lesson here is if you really want to be able to defend yourself you had better learn to fight from every position and every angle. :asian:

Agreed! This has always been my theory. Being as well rounded as possible is the way to go.

Mike

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
punisher73 said:

YAY!!!! A rant I not only agree with, but have said!!!!! That means I'm not a complete loser!!!! YAY!!!! O.k. me acting dumb for a few laughs off.

John

ChrisWTK

Green Belt
Reaction score
punisher73 said:

Lol, my instructor said that the other night. Hmm, I like your reasoning better and it is true, perhaps I will mention it to him.

Latest Discussions