The Monuments Men

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just saw a fascinating interview on Charlie Rose with a man named Robert Edsel, who wrote a book called The Monuments Men, which addresses the efforts to preserve Allied fine arts during WWII. Here is Amazon's synopsis:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Monuments-Men-Greatest-Treasure/dp/1599951509

At the same time Adolf Hitler was attempting to take over the western world, his armies were methodically seeking and hoarding the finest art treasures in Europe. The Fuehrer had begun cataloguing the art he planned to collect as well as the art he would destroy: "degenerate" works he despised.
In a race against time, behind enemy lines, often unarmed, a special force of American and British museum directors, curators, art historians, and others, called the Monuments Men, risked their lives scouring Europe to prevent the destruction of thousands of years of culture.
Focusing on the eleven-month period between D-Day and V-E Day, this fascinating account follows six Monuments Men and their impossible mission to save the world's great art from the Nazis.

Edsel brought up some interesting questions (Is any art worth risking a life?) and some very sobering anecdotes (He risked his life to art for a museum which, as a Jew, he had never been allowed to go in).

The book has spawned a foundation to locate and preserve art from that period. Tomorrow, a movie of the same name will be opening, starring George Cloony. I think I'll be ordering Edsel's book, these are some fascinating stories from WWII that are not widely known. :)

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on the book. I've been looking forward to the movie.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Really looking forward to the movie. Will pick up the book as well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is an interesting story, but for me...I wouldn't risk lives to save art...new art can be created...it may be a sad thing to lose that art, but losing humans trying to save it...I wouldn't have given those orders...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is an interesting story, but for me...I wouldn't risk lives to save art...new art can be created...it may be a sad thing to lose that art, but losing humans trying to save it...I wouldn't have given those orders...

new art does not tell you anything about the times past.

Much has been learned in recent times examining art from the past. Renaissance art is full of cryptic messages for one, believed to be born from the necessity to hide from the inquisition.

Medieval art has yielded some interesting aspects of daily life previously overlooked.
Art captures the 'Zeitgeist' the spirit of the time, it is an important document of history, just like the written word.

Without art not cheap art prints for you.