The Last Dragon

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well if they were to make a sequel, which Im glad they didn't, it probably would've been based on the book "The Great Glass Elevator" part of which does take place in space, and was written as a sequel. As phenomenal of a writer as Roald Dahl was, in my opinion he bombed with the sequel.
That’s it.

He apparently didn’t like the original film adaptation either. I think he was allegedly on set everyday giving everyone a hard time about ruining his story, then either gave up or got banned from the set. I guess the Johnny Depp version of the movie was more accurate to the character than Gene Wilder’s. I didn’t see the remake, so I don’t know how different it truly is.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s it.

He apparently didn’t like the original film adaptation either. I think he was allegedly on set everyday giving everyone a hard time about ruining his story, then either gave up or got banned from the set. I guess the Johnny Depp version of the movie was more accurate to the character than Gene Wilder’s. I didn’t see the remake, so I don’t know how different it truly is.

Roald Dahl was a nasty woman beating racist, his books may be loved by children but the people in his life hated him. When Roald Dahl’s Editor Decided He Was Too Much of a Prick To Publish

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
That’s it.

No, in my opinion the Johnny Depp version was worse. For one thing the Johnny Depp version was even less character accurate than the first movie.
Anyway, in the first movie Charlie and his grandfather Joe steal a fizzy lifting drink, in the book they don't steal the drink so that might be one of the reasons why Dahl hated the movie so much.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, in my opinion the Johnny Depp version was worse. For one thing the Johnny Depp version was even less character accurate than the first movie.
Anyway, in the first movie Charlie and his grandfather Joe steal a fizzy lifting drink, in the book they don't steal the drink so that might be one of the reasons why Dahl hated the movie so much.
I really have no interest in the book, the original movie or the new one beyond my 5 and 7 year old daughters watching the original. I read the book in 4th grade, and I’m 42 now. I’ll take your word for it. :)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Roald Dahl was a nasty woman beating racist, his books may be loved by children but the people in his life hated him. When Roald Dahl’s Editor Decided He Was Too Much of a Prick To Publish
Interesting tidbit of information. I didn’t read your link, but I’ll take your word for it. I don’t know much about Dahl beyond Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. Or was the book Charlie & the Chocolate Factory? I get them confused. I don’t care much either way. Not motivated enough to google it either.

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Let's get back to some real martial art talk: Johnny Depp or Gene Wilder...who wins in a fight? I think Johnny Depp would win because he did all of the sword fighting training for Pirates of the Caribbean. But, I was really impressed when Gene Wilder did that forward roll in the movie when he walked out of the chocolate factory. Ninjutsu training?

*Please don't let the fact that Wilder has passed influence your decision one way or the other

(*edit: Foresee people choosing Depp just because he is still alive.)

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Let's get back to some real martial art talk: Johnny Depp or Gene Wilder...who wins in a fight? I think Johnny Depp would win because he did all of the sword fighting training for Pirates of the Caribbean. But, I was really impressed when Gene Wilder did that forward roll in the movie when he walked out of the chocolate factory. Ninjutsu training?

*Please don't let the fact that Wilder has passed influence your decision one way or the other

(*edit: Foresee people choosing Depp just because he is still alive.)
Johnny Depp would win. As you said, Depp did all that sword training and other fight training for all his fight scenes as Jack Sparrow. Gene Wilder did that one somersault, big deal, everybody learns that in elementary school gym class.

Latest Discussions