iai and the rapid deployment

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey there all…
Just a thought about techniques of the quick draw. With the advent of folding blades and expandable batons (Tokusho Keibo), how does the modern martial artist address the concept of the quick draw . In the school where I train, rapid and also concealed deployment of such weapons is taught and drilled so that the student will be capable of “deploy on demand” techniques. Draw and cut as well as draw and smash are not as instantaneous as with a katana sword but they come close.

Does anyone else have any training methods for addressing this part of weapons based training?

This also brings up another question. For schools where self defense and tactical methods are taught, do you find that your systems are drifting away from long battle swords and drifting toward items like the knife or short sticks as primary weapons. I mean after all, how many of us could get away with walking down the street with a naginata ( halberd)?

Thanx for the minute..
WalT

R

rmcrobertson

Well, I don't know that much about iaido--but I have thought for a while that Captured Leaves, and at least one of the moves in Staff Set 1, express the basic idea of drawing a sword and cutting in one motion beautifully...

Latest Discussions