The Great Wall of China - video

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I've been to the Great Wall and I saw some of the unrestored sections, but I was at Badaling, which has been restored and, sadly, there is even a Starbucks there....

badaling-great-wall-2.jpg

Badaling

The Great Wall of China has a total of 8,851 kilometers
Now we see only the Badaling Scenic Area
There are thousands of kilometers of wild wall has never been exposed
International photographers use drones to capture unrestricted areas
The mottled walls of monuments are shocking...

The Link to the Video > The Great Wall

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
funny I used to live in Beijing but i never visited the Great Wall

and Badaling is not that far from there. How long did you live there?

I've been to Beijing and Badaling and it was impressive. But one thing that stood out to me was looking at all the old looking buildings as you walk towards the wall and in the middle of all that old China looking stuff....was a Starbucks.

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
and Badaling is not that far from there. How long did you live there?

I've been to Beijing and Badaling and it was impressive. But one thing that stood out to me was looking at all the old looking buildings as you walk towards the wall and in the middle of all that old China looking stuff....was a Starbucks.

i lived in Zhuhai for three months and Beijing for three months. i was actually planning on going back to get my Bachelor's but apparently you have to be under 30 to do that. but i'm probably gonna go back sooner or later i love it there. i heard the great wall has an *insane* amount of tourists

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
i lived in Zhuhai for three months and Beijing for three months. i was actually planning on going back to get my Bachelor's but apparently you have to be under 30 to do that. but i'm probably gonna go back sooner or later i love it there. i heard the great wall has an *insane* amount of tourists

Way south and then went north.....is he native dialect in Zhuhai Cantonese?

The day I was at the great wall there were a lot of tourists. However the crowd depended on which side you went on and how far you went...so I chose the steeper of the two sides (fewer people went that way) and walked a long way. By the time I was done I was one of about 5 people in that section of the wall.... and I was related to two of those people

As for college in Beijing; Masters degrees and PhDs do not have the age constraints of the Bachelors degree

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Way south and then went north.....is he native dialect in Zhuhai Cantonese?

The day I was at the great wall there were a lot of tourists. However the crowd depended on which side you went on and how far you went...so I chose the steeper of the two sides (fewer people went that way) and walked a long way. By the time I was done I was one of about 5 people in that section of the wall.... and I was related to two of those people

As for college in Beijing; Masters degrees and PhDs do not have the age constraints of the Bachelors degree

yeah they speak Cantonese in Zhuhai. pretty much all over Guangdong province, Macau, and Hong Kong speak Cantonese. but most of them speak Mandarin as well. i don't know why i never visited the Great Wall, next time i go to China i'll definitely check it out

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
yeah they speak Cantonese in Zhuhai. pretty much all over Guangdong province, Macau, and Hong Kong speak Cantonese. but most of them speak Mandarin as well. i don't know why i never visited the Great Wall, next time i go to China i'll definitely check it out

You should, it is very cool...and very large. And driving there out of Beijing you see a lot of it, and much of that is unrestored. Watched some guy, in a lot better shape then I am in, running/climbing up one of the unrestored sections that was at about a 50 to 60 degree angle.

It is also rather amazing that you can be in the 21st century in Beijing and then drive out towards the wall and you start seeing places that still look like the 18th and 19th centuries. But then things change fast there and that was a long time ago

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You should, it is very cool...and very large. And driving there out of Beijing you see a lot of it, and much of that is unrestored. Watched some guy, in a lot better shape then I am in, running/climbing up one of the unrestored sections that was at about a 50 to 60 degree angle.

yeah i'll put that on my bucket list. i don't know if it's true or not but i heard you can see it from space. this one girl actually decided she wanted to live in China when she stood on the great wall in the middle of a thunderstorm. or something like that

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
yeah i'll put that on my bucket list. i don't know if it's true or not but i heard you can see it from space. this one girl actually decided she wanted to live in China when she stood on the great wall in the middle of a thunderstorm. or something like that

I have heard that is a myth, but never having been in space, I don't know for sure :D

Beijing is to polluted for me these days, and there is way to much traffic. I will go back one of these days, maybe in a few years. My wife goes back a few times a year, but I am not into the long flight or the pollution.

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have heard that is a myth, but never having been in space, I don't know for sure :D

Beijing is to polluted for me these days, and there is way to much traffic. I will go back one of these days, maybe in a few years. My wife goes back a few times a year, but I am not into the long flight or the pollution.

actually they are taking steps to lessen the amount of pollution in Beijing. it has already decreased a significant amount. in a few years it should be a LOT better. i remember when i first moved to Beijing the pollution was so bad i had a headache for a week! when i looked out the window i just saw a wall of grey. i know a lot of people who left Beijing for that reason. i just love it so much i'm willing to put up with the pollution. kind of like being in so in love with a woman that her negative traits don't bother you.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I cannot even comprehend the Great Wall of China.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
actually they are taking steps to lessen the amount of pollution in Beijing. it has already decreased a significant amount. in a few years it should be a LOT better. i remember when i first moved to Beijing the pollution was so bad i had a headache for a week! when i looked out the window i just saw a wall of grey. i know a lot of people who left Beijing for that reason. i just love it so much i'm willing to put up with the pollution. kind of like being in so in love with a woman that her negative traits don't bother you.

Yeah, I know, my wife is a Beijingren and goes back often. But I'm not quite ready to take our youngest, who has allergies and is highly sensitive to strange smells, there just yet

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well.....
its a wall....
and its great....
:D

It is that. But the sheer size is beyond what my little mind can grasp. Felt that way the first time I saw the Grand canyon. I couldn't even speak for ten minutes.

I'm sure the Great Wall would shut me up as well.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It is that. But the sheer size is beyond what my little mind can grasp. Felt that way the first time I saw the Grand canyon. I couldn't even speak for ten minutes.

I'm sure the Great Wall would shut me up as well.

It is impressive and it left me in awe, but, IMO, it is not Grand Canyon impressive... but it is close....it is an amazing site to see and when you are on it, to think of the thousands od soldiers that traversed this wall and the thousands of people who built the wall (those who where there by choice and those who were forced) and the thousands that died building the wall.... it is something to see and it is very impressive. But the size of things in China is surprising. I studied many of these things but I was not prepared for the actual size, they are huge; the Forbidden city, the summer palace, the Temple of Heaven, the Ming tombs. etc... all huge...and then the more modern things...Tiananmen square is a lot bigger than I thought it was....

Badaling-Great-Wall-Of-China.jpg

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, my wife is a Beijingren and goes back often. But I'm not quite ready to take our youngest, who has allergies and is highly sensitive to strange smells, there just yet

well that's understandable... a child with allergies going to a place that polluted can be problematic

sinthetik_mistik

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It is impressive and it left me in awe, but, IMO, it is not Grand Canyon impressive... but it is close....it is an amazing site to see and when you are on it, to think of the thousands od soldiers that traversed this wall and the thousands of people who built the wall (those who where there by choice and those who were forced) and the thousands that died building the wall.... it is something to see and it is very impressive. But the size of things in China is surprising. I studied many of these things but I was not prepared for the actual size, they are huge; the Forbidden city, the summer palace, the Temple of Heaven, the Ming tombs. etc... all huge...and then the more modern things...Tiananmen square is a lot bigger than I thought it was....

Badaling-Great-Wall-Of-China.jpg

that may be the best picture of the great wall i have ever seen. i went to Tiananmen square but don't really remember it as it was 12 years ago

DavyKOTWF

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this Xue Sheng. Mei li !
For me, the Great Wall was 100 times more wonderful than the Grand Canyon! I felt like I was in a dream just standing on the WallIMG_4795.JPG . I just took off running to enjoy it. The people in the market below were great too, selling their wares. One old lady, I bargained her down and bought a shirt for like $10 US...then walked 30 yards and another lady was selling the same shirt for $5. haha. The following man brought his donkey up every day on top of the Wall and sold cokes, chocolate bars, other stuff. He was so happy that I bought a Coke for $1 and a bar. If you ever go, you'll think 3 things...a) I should have gotten here sooner b) you won't believe you are there and c) you'll be many months catching your breath as you get back.
Breakfast was so cheap and a treat. They sold some kind of dim sum, 12 for maybe $2. Most people only bought 6 of them. I held up my fingers, indicating I wanted 2. She brought out 2. I shook my head, I meant 2 dozen. She giggled and was happy.

Attachments

• IMG_4796.JPG
    IMG_4796.JPG
    792 KB · Views: 432

Latest Discussions