The graphic results of knife fighting

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, that was thoroughly disgusting.

I reiterate that the images are graphic, and really quite unpleasant to look at.

However, it's a reality check for anyone who has discounted the danger of the blade......

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes it is. And since the victim is an LEO, I daresay he was likely clothed at the time of the attack. Your knife at work, people. Sensitive stomach? look away ...

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Guy must not have been wearing a vest. They wont stop puncture attacks, but a knife wont be able to slash through a vest like that.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Dang! How big was that knife anyway? Those look more like sword cuts than a knife. Geez... Must've been painful just to sit up and have the photos taken.
Wonder how many stitches it took altogether?

Yeah, what a knife, a sharp knife can do in the hands of someone who knows how to use it.

Hope the LEO is okay after all of that.

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
Dang! How big was that knife anyway? Those look more like sword cuts than a knife. Geez... Must've been painful just to sit up and have the photos taken.
Wonder how many stitches it took altogether?

Yeah, what a knife, a sharp knife can do in the hands of someone who knows how to use it.

Hope the LEO is okay after all of that.

More likely a razor or box cutter

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Also shows the difference between slashing and stabbing. The guy lived. Slashes look ugly but you can survive them...keep fighting.

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
very intense, thats why you don't play around and try to be fancy with someone who has a knife. (Of course I am not saying that is what the officer did by the way)

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They are very graphic and explicit, however, it gives a very sobering reminder of the results of using a knife.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
second scary thought:

the guy wielding the knife probably didn't know what he was doing. those slashes were across the back, chest and stomach. a trained attacker would have hit the brachial artery, femoral artery, major tendons....

so those nasty photos were of what an untrained attacker can do to a trained defender.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:
second scary thought:

the guy wielding the knife probably didn't know what he was doing. those slashes were across the back, chest and stomach. a trained attacker would have hit the brachial artery, femoral artery, major tendons....

so those nasty photos were of what an untrained attacker can do to a trained defender.
Well granted that may be true. But keep in mind that even a trained knife weilder may try to go for those various points you mentioned but not always be successful. An officer is (supposed to be) trained to protect those vitals.
In a (mutual) knife fight I'm going to try for those vitals myself and then some, but at the same time I'm going to be protecting mine best as I can, and if in doing so I'm unable to reach those in my opponent then I'm going to inflict as much bodily damage as possible. If the fight is one sided (me, weaponless) then I'm going to protect the same vitals best as I can while trying to avoid the blade altogether.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MA-Caver said:
An officer is (supposed to be) trained to protect those vitals.
Sadly, this isn't necessarily the case. In my understanding, by and large, standard LEO combat training is weak and insufficient, both in terms of armed and unarmed conflict. So, IMO, they are no more trained to protect their vitals areas than any other regular untrained shmoe. They are, however, trained in awareness and the protection of life, i.e. - don't let the bad guy get even close enough to do that.

Quite obviously, a mistake had been made here - not enough back up, unsafe practices, etc. Which is really too bad.

OP
Bigshadow

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
Sadly, this isn't necessarily the case. In my understanding, by and large, standard LEO combat training is weak and insufficient, both in terms of armed and unarmed conflict. So, IMO, they are no more trained to protect their vitals areas than any other regular untrained shmoe.
That is precisely what I gather from my LEO friends. They only get a few hours per year of hand to hand. It really isn't much at all. If they get any more, they usually have to pursue something outside of their work responsibilities.

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
The LE edged weapons work I've seen was very complex, long winded and only trained once in a blue moon and even then very compliantly. I'm sure it varys from force to force but this seems to be a common theme.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is why i have discarded almost all the knife defenses that I was taught in kenpo. I have no faith in them and I would not want to fool myself or a student into thinking they are reliable. Better to know you aren't capable of dealing with the situation and just look for the first opportunity to run, then to think you can handle it and end up with your guts in your hands.

Until I learn something else that makes more sense, I am content to be realistic and recognize my own inadequacy.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, those pics. were nasty, but IMHO, its good for people to see exactly what a blade can do. I agree with FC. There are many knife defenses/disarms out there that IMO, would most likely get someone killed or seriously hurt. I've always been a believer that if you want to learn defense against something like a blade, train in an art, such as the FMAs, that focus alot on blade work.

Mike

Latest Discussions