The Essence of Martial Arts

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Fu_Bag said:
That's why I need to find the right art for me. I want to be able to study an art that I can respect, that my family can respect, and that will strengthen my bond with them instead of tearing it apart. If I can do this, then I will have no problems honoring the art, growing in the art, and, possibly, even helping to continue and improve the art. Otherwise, I'd rather not add to the overall problems which you speak of.

You got it.

I would say more, but I would be very much in danger of sounding like the preverbal fortune cookie

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Fu_Bag said:
DeLamar.J,

These are excellent points and I agree 100%. Thanks for pointing out the difference between spiritual enlightenment and martial enlightenment. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts and ideas about how mainstream martial arts teachers can, or would, reach their full combat potential. Personally, I'd think that they'd have to have enough experience killing people in hand to hand combat to be, without a doubt, considered by the martial arts community to have reached their full combat potential.

I'm not sure of how many martial instructors would be interested in repeated killing for the sake of proving themselves. I would hope that the numbers would be fairly low but, then again, that seems to be what people respect with regards to the "martial" qualification. I'll have to think about this some more but I definitely agree with what you're saying. Great signature by the way!

Fu Bag :)
There are people in the military who are qualified in combat martial arts. Also, there are martial arts styles that have a vow of combat only, never to be practiced for sport. Practicing for sport dilutes combat martial arts, because of the rules.
I am a fan of the sport world of martial arts, however, people need to be very aware of the differences between sport martial arts and combat martial arts.
Ever heard of iron palm training? Why would someone join a competition to cover up their hands that they have trained for years? There are people out there that can crack open your head with one knife hand technique, people who can blind you with a spear finger before you realize whats going on. You will not see them in UFC, pride, point fighting, ect ect, because they only believe in combat martial arts.
That type of training will bring you martial enlightenment, training for sport martial arts will bring you very little.
Ali, the greatest, right? Defeated by a martial artist because he didn't know how to deal with low kicks, or someone laying on the ground right in front of him. Sometimes people in the sport world need a reality check.

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Fu_Bag said:
MartialIntent,

Thanks for elaborating a little. I was going to get dangerously ponderous. :) I think what you're speaking of is a different definition of "aliveness" than the "popular" definition floating around at the moment. I'd still like to inquire, if I may, as to the essence of what you're speaking of. Do you feel that the important tenets are currently trapped within a complete vacuum and that, due to this, the essence is trapped within either static minds or static practices?

I think that Kacey had an excellent point with regards to this situation. There are too many people who try to either guard what they think are "the deep dark secrets" because it makes them "special", or there are people who think that they can string people along indefinitely by claiming that they sell "the deep dark secrets". I think that the nicest way to express my feelings about this is that I don't find that these practices are very flattering to the people who engage in such behavior.

Thankfully, there are forums, MartialTalk especially, where people can come and figure out how to improve the situation without having to deal with the restrictions and limitations which others would impose upon them.

You have some very interesting thoughts. I look forward to hearing more of them.

Take care,

Fu Bag, courtesy and polite inquisitiveness are two honorable traits you possess! Don't be worried about getting dangerously ponderous - the world's full of gasbags [I'd not pretend I was anything to the contrary ;)], and it's encouraging that you're doing your bit to pop some "hot air balloons" :).

To cut to the chase, I think there's a great deal of pretense and snobbery in the arts. You don't have to look too far at all to stumble over some numpty looking to prove they're the best thing around by virtue of their skill, their experience, their rank, who mentored them or the amount of fawning adulation they garner when they open their gobs to speak [or type], LOL.

My point is that when many of the arts were founded, a great many of those founders had lofty plans for what their art would become; what it would develop into and what benefits would actually be reaped not only by followers and practitioners but also by the community and society as a whole. I can perhaps use my own Aikido as an example - Ueshiba presented the art as a way to harmonize not just folk in the dojo but society in its entirety through a cohesive set of interconnected physical and philosophical concepts both flowing off each other. And there's no clearer example of the abyss between Ueshiba and the Aikido practitioners of today than the fact that hearing talk of "harmony in society" makes us curl up cringing. I mean, what are we doing to pursue such notions today? Shuffling around mats practising techniques on each other? Amazing.

Anyway, you get my point I'm sure. This scenario isn't the sole preserve of Aikido, most arts aren't a shadow of what they were at their inception. It's the modern disease: more, faster, harder, me, me, me. Hehe.

So, that's why I believe the essence of the arts is grounded immutably in the mundane, being nothing more than a system of physical [or sometimes internal or meditative] techniques. Unfortunately there are no bigger concepts impelling the arts, where I believe there once were. Practitioners of today are too apathetic, lacking creativity, inspiration, vision, and most of all artistry - present company excepted, naturally ;).

Good luck yourself, and keep on popping balloons - soon you'll see the sky, hehe :)

Respects!

OP
F

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng,

Thanks :) A great game to play with your spouse is to add "in bed" after every fortune cookie message! :D (I, of course, have never done this...)

DeLamar.J,

Thank you very much for adding so much to this thread. Your perspective is very welcome. As for the wake up call.....you're quite a good messenger. :)

MartialIntent,

Awww shucks... :) I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about... :D Unfortunately, I have to agree with many of your points. I do, however, believe that it's not a hopeless situation. There's a saying that "we are wonderfully and fearfully made". Somewhere along the line, people stopped feeling the wonderful stuff about themselves and, consequently, they seem to have stopped looking for it in others.

Now, I'm not saying that people don't say "look how wonderful I am!!!". What I'm saying is that people aren't necessarily being provided with the opportunity, and/or training, to shine. A shiny trophy or a flashy patch is a long way from the shining essence of our inner truth. I think that there is a power in our inner truths that can reflect the essence of martial arts out into the world and improve it.

I've now read written works by Ueshiba, Kano, Funakoshi, and Hatsumi and I can say that I believe that this: "the art as a way to harmonize not just folk in the dojo but society in its entirety through a cohesive set of interconnected physical and philosophical concepts both flowing off each other. " appears to be a universal truth, or wish, perhaps, that has been cast aside as being unimportant by some. Unfortunately, those who've cast aside such wisdom have influenced others to the point to where a new "truth" is being touted.

If you'd like, let's work on presenting Ueshiba-sensei's ideas. We may get flamed, or maybe ignored, but Martial Talk seems the perfect place to discuss such things. Personally, I think I'll be incredibly fortunate if I can even accomplish a few of the things Ueshiba-sensei wrote about within my lifetime. Maybe, though, if we can tweak people's interest, other people will find value in these things and take up a thing or two themselves.

Here's to hoping... :)

Fu Bag

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that MA does many things. It builds camraderie, it builds self confidence, self esteem as helps with self assurance.

There is no magical essence of MA. Sorry, it is not some kind of magical cosmic thing. It is something that is grown into, and in time will be strongly nurtured.

OP
F

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Matt,

Great points and I agree with all of them. You're right about it not being "magical". It's actually supposed to be very natural.

"It is something that is grown into, and in time will be strongly nurtured."

Perfect!

Thanks for the reply.

w.kaer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Explorer said:
Ah ... here's a term I like ... human potential. The essence of martial arts, for me, is the quest for human potential.

I agree. The "essence of martial arts" lies within. It is different for us all, therefore the "essence" is the growth that occurs when studying.

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nice topic, informative and entertaining at the same time. lol

I'd like to throw my lot with the people who mentioned that the essence is in the constant learning and desire to improve oneself. I mean without that drive one doesn't get too far in the MA world. I feel the biggest obstacle is the point when martial artists think they know everything and stop practicing.

OP
F

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi w.kaer and King,

Thanks for the replies :)

I was just thinking about what King said regarding our biggest obstacle. I think that the biggest hurdles are the dreaded plateaus. When you're climbing, it's easy to feel alive, focused, and hopeful that you're getting somewhere. Then, you climb over the top and find another sheer cliff to climb.

It's easy to sit a top of the plateau, see people climbing up, and think "Well, at least I got somewhere". All the gear is provided to do the climbing. It's just a matter of doing it. At some point, though, when you're looking down from the plateau, maybe you look down and see that not so many people are interested in climbing higher. Below, people are happy, content, and enjoying each other's company.

They still look up and wave in friendship and respect though. They encourage you to keep going and for you to come and visit them whenever you can. They even ask if you wouldn't mind bringing back something from your adventures. And as a warrior friend, you gladly do it.

So, up another sheer cliff you go, and another, and another, and another until you are far from home and seem alone in the world. At this point, those lower plateaus are looking pretty inviting. All the friends, the good company, and the companionship seems like, maybe, is the highest goal afterall and not climbing up some stupid mountain. The higher you climb, the less people you find for company until you are alone, at the peak.

You've learned many things along the way but, now, have no one to share them with. Was it worth it? Well, yes. You are always welcome with the friends you made along the climb. I was told once that the higher you climb, the lonlier you will become. Friendship and relationships will be redefined, people will look at you differently, and you will be truly alone in the world. And the hardest part, he said, was that you have to be this way, otherwise you'll wind up getting someone killed.

For me, that is my hurdle. To keep going and learning. My sincere respect and gratitude goes out to the teachers who've chosen this path. They're the ones who have chosen to be students their entire lives, who continue to climb, and who brighten our world by shedding their leaves so that we may enjoy the sunshine. I have to wonder if they even have a choice as to whether or not to keep climbing.

For those who are chosen to keep climbing, thank you. :)

Respectfully,

Fu Bag

stabpunch

Orange Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Just my thoughts on this!

Essence is to build strength, courage, and skills to be able to stand up for one rights.

Builds a positive person, a good person, honest person, and a HUMBLE PERSON!

The mind is design to fight or flee...martial arts training gives you two choices.

.........Aloha

Couldn't have said it better

Latest Discussions