AlexGoode

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm here to help interested individuals understand traditional martial arts in more depth and to hopefully explain more clearly the point behind traditional methods (i.e. forms, herbs, meditation, etc).

I don't have much time right now to write too in depth, but to start off there are generally 2 reasons you would practice a traditional form.

1 is you are seeking to develop your mind in body in a unique or particular way.

2 is you are practicing mechanics that can directly apply to an actual situation.

If someone is practicing a form focused more on mind/body development it may or may not look "effective" or "applicable" to an outside viewer. In certain cases that is true. Also in certain cases the strength the movement builds through an exaggerated range of motion can be very applicable when shortened and made more "economic".

All in all the movement could be foundational to application or it could not be focused on combat at all, but rather just focused on being better, healthier, more balanced, etc in mind and body.

-Alex Goode

Facebook: Oom Yung Doe New England
Snapchat: oydmedford
Instagram: oomyungdoemedford

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Alex,

There are a number of folks here who have been training in traditional martial arts for quite a long time, and have a good grasp of what's going on. Feel free to join in the discussions, but I would advise against being preachy. It doesn't go over well here.

OP
AlexGoode

AlexGoode

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Flying Crane,

Not preaching. Simply starting a thread as a way to get involved. Also, I brought that up because I saw a guy post the other day that schools that focus on forms aren't good martial arts schools, which is obviously ludicrous. So there is still plenty to talk about in that regard apparently, though maybe less so for the more experienced practitioners.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Knowing how to is one thing, knowing when to is quite another. I don't mean that from the perspective of when to defend yourself and when to walk away. It's quite easy to say "this is the bunkai of this technique" or "this will cause some serious damage;" it's quite another thing to know exactly when to do it and actually be able to.

This coming from a card carrying TMA practicioner (yes, I have a membership card from my organization in my wallet) who's a fan of kata.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Alex.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Flying Crane,

Not preaching. Simply starting a thread as a way to get involved. Also, I brought that up because I saw a guy post the other day that schools that focus on forms aren't good martial arts schools, which is obviously ludicrous. So there is still plenty to talk about in that regard apparently, though maybe less so for the more experienced practitioners.
Sure, plenty to talk about and feel free to jump in. It's why we are all here.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Flying Crane,

With all due respect, I think the way your first post came across to me was "Hi, I'm here so at long last you have an expert to tell you what you're all doing wrong." Yeah, no. You might be an expert, but it's not the best way to make an entrance.

Welcome to MT!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally though I don't use herbs in my martial arts. :) In a nice meal afterwards though.

On the subject of meditation though had a very random night with the Girl Guides last week, they were looking at meditations and such like when one of them got very agitated, she said she's not allowed to meditate and it was evil. The girls asked for explanations but she couldn't give any other than it's evil. She got very stroppy with them for reading and talking about it in her presence. Very odd behaviour.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Could be a faith-based thing maybe? I seem to remember some posts a while back that discussed whether meditation in certain MAs would contradict Christian faith, dunno.

I use herbs for healing bruises....some of them work quite well.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
... they were looking at meditations and such like when one of them got very agitated, she said she's not allowed to meditate and it was evil.
On one of those reality shows (Amazing Race?) one of the participants reacted in a similar way when asked to put her palms together out of respect when entering a Buddhist temple. She said it was against her religion to worship false gods or something.

Meditation, practiced regularly, is great. It has helped my wife handle her habitual reactions rather well. Of course, there's a long way to go.

As for forms and TMA, I don't know if those who don't like them can be convinced of their value, nor can they see the value in training (forms) that doesn't resemble the practice (combat).
... or maybe they're rather nervous, or live in a tough neighbourhood. I guess that if I were going to prison in a month, I wouldn't practice forms. Hard to say.

OP
AlexGoode

AlexGoode

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I may have opened this up more in a blog type fashion. Apologies. The goal wasn't to sound prude or arrogant. I also don't have much experience with martial arts forums. So anyways, hi. :)

As far as the how to and when to with self defense I agree. Drilling an individual technique is good, but that alone will definitely not make you feel prepared against any random type of attack.

As far as herbs you may want to look into dit da jiao formulas if you are interested in longevity, more speed and power, injury prevention, etc. I'm not sure how effective formulas are from school to school but I'm sure most would at least help.

OP
AlexGoode

AlexGoode

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
On one of those reality shows (Amazing Race?) one of the participants reacted in a similar way when asked to put her palms together out of respect when entering a Buddhist temple. She said it was against her religion to worship false gods or something.

Meditation, practiced regularly, is great. It has helped my wife handle her habitual reactions rather well. Of course, there's a long way to go.

As for forms and TMA, I don't know if those who don't like them can be convinced of their value, nor can they see the value in training (forms) that doesn't resemble the practice (combat).
... or maybe they're rather nervous, or live in a tough neighbourhood. I guess that if I were going to prison in a month, I wouldn't practice forms. Hard to say.
I grew up in a pretty rough area and I think you're right. Most kids want to start pummeling other people right away to build their confidence, but there are some (me) too that appreciate the way the more holistic aspects help to escape all of the day to day madness.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Don't worry about the opening post...some people here are very picky about first impressions.

I prefer the ones that send me a nice cheque to say nice things about them :D

I read Rogerian as 'Rogering' and thought ee up it's getting a bit spicy here. Quite disappointed really.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Alex,

I'm going to ask something a little direct here… what makes you believe you're even in a position to discuss (in an informed fashion) traditional martial arts practice, benefits, reasons, purposes, or anything similar? Most particularly, how are you in a position to "help (members) understand traditional martial arts in more depth"?

What I'm asking is what your background is that enables you to do as you offer… as I see nothing that comes close, as well as a number of issues just in your initial post.

Latest Discussions