The destination? Or the journey?

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I also vote for the journey. You can have goals in life but, IMO, one doesn't ever really know what their destination will be. The journey is the best part because of all the challenges that you face along the way. That can only make you a better person.

Stickarts said:
By practice, you will still reach the destination anyway and how much more enjoyable it is to get the most out of the journey. Developing a skill is never a waste.
I agree with this totally. Even when the journey is really challenging and you sometimes get so frustrated you want to quit, when you finally accomplish something it's that much more sweeter.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a bit of both, but primarily more interested in the journey. I like the saying, "it's not the destination that matters, it's the journey" (rough quoting- sorry). I can't help it- I'm curious as to what lies ahead.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
The Boston Marathon was run this past Monday. One of the owners of my school competed, and finished. His time was not where he was hoping to be, yet he finished 4000 places higher than where he started.

As his student, I'm incredibly proud of him. :)

One of my colleagues differes.

"What's the point?" she shrugs. "I mean, you could train for all that time, then get the flu on the big day. Then it's all lost"

Heck, I'd love to be in the kind of shape that could run for 26.2 miles, instead of ~1.5 miles. Even if I never run the race.

So, my question for you all...what motivates you more with your own training?

The destination?

Or the journey?

Or both?

I'd have to say the journey. IMO, the destination would be reaching black belt. Many people reach that and stop. I've reached it, and have continued on, considering that there is so much more to explore.

Mike

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
The journey, definitely. I just enjoy doing it. I have no idea where I am going.
I agree the journey is more important I think. The destination is undetermined in martial arts training in all reality. You may have a goal but its not always meant to be.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I know the ideal answer is the journey, but for me, it's been a different answer at different times.
As a colored belt, it was always the destination. Then when I became a BB, a contentedness came over me that I didn't even know existed and training to train was enough. For a long time, I just enjoyed the ride.
As I approached my 2nd degree, the destination once again became my primary focus. Once I got it, again, the journey was enough.
Now as I approach my 3rd degree, the destination once again takes hold and I hate it. Despite my best efforts, it has become my primary focus. It makes me do everything for all the wrong reasons. At this point I'm actually considering not testing because it has consistenly drawn my motives in the wrong direction. I've always been at my best, most relaxed and most confident when I just trained to train.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gemini said:
I know the ideal answer is the journey, but for me, it's been a different answer at different times.
As a colored belt, it was always the destination. Then when I became a BB, a contentedness came over me that I didn't even know existed and training to train was enough. For a long time, I just enjoyed the ride.
As I approached my 2nd degree, the destination once again became my primary focus. Once I got it, again, the journey was enough.
Now as I approach my 3rd degree, the destination once again takes hold and I hate it. Despite my best efforts, it has become my primary focus. It makes me do everything for all the wrong reasons. At this point I'm actually considering not testing because it has consistenly drawn my motives in the wrong direction. I've always been at my best, most relaxed and most confident when I just trained to train.

Hello, No one enjoys testing. Getting a 3rd degree is still part of the journey....it is just a level..there are more numbers ahead of you to reach. The training differs alittle...growth may seem slowly at this point...your expections..of yourself...well....be more positive here.

Destinations has never been about the Black belt...it is about your growth..as a martial artist,a person..not just the physcial part...here it is more the mental part...being more humble, caring,staying strong,

Your comments shows you have a long way to go to understand the martial arts and it purpose...

There are times we "ALL" feel the journey's end is near.....if fact it goes on forever.....so much more to learn...endless...

Please test and keep going....it will come to you one day.... the "WHY's?"

Each one of us the answers could be a little different....trust me on this...Aloha

PS: Just trying to helpful here...Please do not take this in a negative way....we do care...!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still learning said:
Your comments shows you have a long way to go to understand the martial arts and it purpose...
Actually, I would say just the opposite. Knowing they're wrong and why would suggest I know exactly what the martial arts and their purpose are. That's how I know they're wrong. Just got to get over the hump of knowing what to do about it. But I understand your point.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Every journey will have interruptions...you are right we all must learn to over come them! Each one 's journey will be different, goals a little different, and our own purpose for them..may differ here.

Obstacle's will make those to quit. To succeed you must move on and face many more boundries. Training in the martial arts is that...facing challenges...negitive thinking will stop you in your tracks.

No one said the journey will be easy...(2 rice balls and fried chicken)..lunch first.....

Face your fears.....move on....see how far you can go.... it is endless....Aloha

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always wanted to run the marathon but it does take an incredible amount of weekly mileage. Hats off to your instructor. The first time I trained for a race was just to have a goal, but in the running daily around the neighborhood, up and down the hills, it became fun and a high that I came to need. Addicted to running. Well, after a ton of half marathons and 10K's, I came to MN. and stopped running, worked around the clock and got fat.

So, after a year of getting back into shape by running on the treadmill and other floor exercise, I joined TKD. TKD gave me the goals again and the motivation to keep at it through our winters. I got addicted again.

So I believe, it is both--the journey of self-discovery of aiming for all the small and large goals along the way to whatever is your final goal or destination. But it is always some kind of a goal that keeps you self-motivated and going forward. Those goals and the horizon do keep changing though.

The "journey" has certainly gotten less rewarding with age and shot knees (from running and jumping). Even more practical goals are difficult to initiate and make any progress--teaching, weapons, self-defense, kickboxing--one step forward, two back, especially at my school. Sometimes I wonder how many 56 yr. old women are still practicing TKD, not just teaching but working out 4-5 times a week. And if they are, they are probably treated with respect earned, instead of lies and deception. The final destination may be sooner than I think. TW

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Every journey will have interruptions...you are right we all must learn to over come them! Each one 's journey will be different, goals a little different, and our own purpose for them..may differ here.

Obstacle's will make those to quit. To succeed you must move on and face many more boundries. Training in the martial arts is that...facing challenges...negitive thinking will stop you in your tracks.

No one said the journey will be easy...(2 rice balls and fried chicken)..lunch first.....

Face your fears.....move on....see how far you can go.... it is endless....Aloha
Maybe I wasn't clear about one thing. I never said anything about quitting. My statement was soley aimed at to simply stop promoting. What belt I'm wearing has little to do with how effective my training is. The purpose would be to take "the belt" out of the equasion. I'm at my best when I do that, so at this point, why not just do it all the time.

kenpo0324

Purple Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
In Martial arts it is always about the Journey, destination is one traveling to a certain point, in MA there is no finale point only more knowledge. When I hit my destination I'll be dead and of course hopefully burried.
Terry

I agree 100 per cent with you..

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Maybe I wasn't clear about one thing. I never said anything about quitting. My statement was soley aimed at to simply stop promoting. What belt I'm wearing has little to do with how effective my training is. The purpose would be to take "the belt" out of the equasion. I'm at my best when I do that, so at this point, why not just do it all the time.

Why are you afraid of the the title "3rd degree"? Why is it in your way? It is only a stepping stone...that your teacher uses to mark a mile stone in your life..Yes!.. numbers do not make your a more effective martial arts...but in your school it is use to measure your progress.

Sometimes we feel we do not deserve a belt...the people around you will pass you by...in numbers only...?

Sorry I do not mean to be bad here...just trying to get you to see the other side...trying looking from your fellow students point of view here..?

One of my best friends did not want his 3rd degree rank either....today still refuses it....but he does mention it all the time..? No make sense huh?..Aloha

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still learning said:
Why are you afraid of the the title "3rd degree"? Why is it in your way? It is only a stepping stone...that your teacher uses to mark a mile stone in your life..Yes!.. numbers do not make your a more effective martial arts...but in your school it is use to measure your progress.

Sometimes we feel we do not deserve a belt...the people around you will pass you by...in numbers only...?

Sorry I do not mean to be bad here...just trying to get you to see the other side...trying looking from your fellow students point of view here..?

One of my best friends did not want his 3rd degree rank either....today still refuses it....but he does mention it all the time..? No make sense huh?..Aloha

Some at that level do not like it for the Politics that goes on at the level and above in some arts.

Personally my training is a journey, and I hope to enjoy it.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Some at that level do not like it for the Politics that goes on at the level and above in some arts.

Personally my training is a journey, and I hope to enjoy it.

Hello, Than why put on a Black belt at all? Why not just a white belt...? or none at all? If it is just the jounery?

I too had thought of this many times...of not using my Black belt...but our Professor mention it is not just for you....it is our way to measure your growth, it is the way it must be.

Your students will want to know? if anything here...Titles are important for teaching...doesn't has to do with fighting skills...the best coaches do not make the best players.....BE a Coach except the challenges for each level of progress, if not for you...for your students...Aloha

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, Than why put on a Black belt at all? Why not just a white belt...? or none at all? If it is just the jounery?

I too had thought of this many times...of not using my Black belt...but our Professor mention it is not just for you....it is our way to measure your growth, it is the way it must be.

Your students will want to know? if anything here...Titles are important for teaching...doesn't has to do with fighting skills...the best coaches do not make the best players.....BE a Coach except the challenges for each level of progress, if not for you...for your students...Aloha

In one art I study, we use no ranking. Everyone knows who the instructor is. So in that case one can say that the Black Belt issue is avoided, although politcis exist everywhere.

As to arts with Black Belt ranking, one may have goals and plan on a journey or not. Yet they grow in their initial journey and then their Goals mean less to them and the journey means more.

I was just offering some thoughts outside of the box, not known answers.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, If your school has rankings..except and follow the policies.

If your school has no rankings such as belts...that is ok too...but there is a leader and those who achieve a certain level is recognition.

Your journey must follow the steps made for you...by others...to change it by not going for the 3rd degree...set up by your school policies...is to not believe in its ability to to give recogniton. You are saying it means nothing to you, to your fellow students who are trying to achieve a higher level..you are saying it means nothing to received a 3rd ranking, and for your Instructor, who wishes you to be recognize will be disappointed!

If you do not except to be tested/promoted...other will past you by...
You will no longer be recognize as a leader....just a follower...in time..you will know this...your choice here....Aloha

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Some exceptional comments already but surely the answer has to be "both"?

Personally I've thus far taken ONE journey with no anticipated destination and that was in a time of great despair when I got in the car and just drove. Nothing inspiring about it. For me, I see nothing inherently motivating in the aimless meander.

I mean, I'm all for walks through the forest at dusk but then my walk in the forest becomes the destination. I may set out to walk idly through the forest but that's still where I aim to be.

Maybe I'm missing the point but I fail to see how journey alone can be the main motivating factor on our martial arts journey. For me the journey is good but I know where I want to get to. If I wasn't focussed on where I was trying to get to, how would I know if I was even going in the right direction?

Respects!

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
MartialIntent said:
Some exceptional comments already but surely the answer has to be "both"?

Personally I've thus far taken ONE journey with no anticipated destination and that was in a time of great despair when I got in the car and just drove. Nothing inspiring about it. For me, I see nothing inherently motivating in the aimless meander.

I mean, I'm all for walks through the forest at dusk but then my walk in the forest becomes the destination. I may set out to walk idly through the forest but that's still where I aim to be.

Maybe I'm missing the point but I fail to see how journey alone can be the main motivating factor on our martial arts journey. For me the journey is good but I know where I want to get to. If I wasn't focussed on where I was trying to get to, how would I know if I was even going in the right direction?

Respects!

Hello, Good point..one journey is just a path....a movement...it needs directions or forcus....we must seek a destination even if it is endless? or we are just wondering around....

Thank-you for bringing that up.....Aloha

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So what you're saying is there's nothing wrong with my focus being the promotion for a given length of time? I mean, I keep hearing the journey is all that should matter and I'm saying for the most part that's true, but not all the time. You're saying this is normal and should be expected? That would be great if it's true, but that's not what I'm hearing the masters saying. So which is it? Am I right (or normal) in what's happening to me and should embrace it from a learning point of view or am I just feeding my ego? I don't WANT to focus on th belt. All I'm saying is, I'm in no way afraid of of it, I just can't control it. You're telling me that's not wrong.

BTW. still learning. Thanks for taking the time to clarify this for me. If I haven't said I appreciate your efforts, let me do so now.
MartialIntent. You always have a way of painting things so I can understand it. Maybe I'm not wrong or unusual.