The correct response

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Let's say someone tells you they are going to whoop your ***. You can tell it is just to sound macho. Many would say, "Well I'd just ignore such silly behavior." The truth is that most of us would not. We all have our egos to thank for that. In all honesty, how would you handle such a situation as that?

What if someone actually pushed you over some trivial manner(bumping into them, they are intoxicated...etc). How would you really react? Is it really so hard to get out of such situations? Say what you want, but I bet quite a few of you would tell them to bring it on(you being martial artists in general, not necessarily anyone from this site). All it would really take at the VERY most, is a simple arm lock or armbar from a standing position, yet some would rather rattle heads and bloody noses...another words, seriously injure. Where do you fall in this?

Lastly, if someone a knife/open blade, would you:
1)beat them down into submission
2)secure the weapon through joint locks that seriously injure the opponent for the rest of his/her life
3)take him down, disarm him, run
4)try to reason with him and then take action

Well I lied, one more thing:

The Four Basic Ethics of Defense
1. Attacking without Justification
2. Taunting attacker to make him "bring it on"
3. Pure Self Defense that maims or kills attacker
4. Self Defense in such a way that leaves attacker in one piece

Thoughts, Ideas, Tell me to shut up?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's say someone tells you they are going to whoop your ***. You can tell it is just to sound macho. Many would say, "Well I'd just ignore such silly behavior." The truth is that most of us would not. We all have our egos to thank for that. In all honesty, how would you handle such a situation as that?

What if someone actually pushed you over some trivial manner(bumping into them, they are intoxicated...etc). How would you really react? Is it really so hard to get out of such situations? Say what you want, but I bet quite a few of you would tell them to bring it on(you being martial artists in general, not necessarily anyone from this site). All it would really take at the VERY most, is a simple arm lock or armbar from a standing position, yet some would rather rattle heads and bloody noses...another words, seriously injure. Where do you fall in this?

2)secure the weapon through joint locks that seriously injure the opponent for the rest of his/her life

If it's not worth a fight -- I do all I can to avoid it. He'll have to throw that first punch or escalate to a serious shove. A lot of the time, you can defuse these situations with well-chosen words. Another alternative is to try to out woof the guy; it can work -- but be prepared for the fight to be on. Or, go the other way; "yeah, you're right, you can kick my ***. And you'll look silly doing it, 'cause it'll be so easy."

Draw a knife on me -- and you get shot. I do carry a gun almost 100% of the time. If it's a situation where I can't draw the gun, or the rare occasions when I'm not carrying, and I can't escape... the same principle applies. Threaten me with lethal force, and you lose the right to go on breathing. I'm not evolved enough to be nice about it and just disarm *******s.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The best way to win a fight is to not fight in the first place. At this point it is only words, to be perfectly honest, my reaction would probably be a smile and to walk to a different area away from the possible trouble.

Again, the best way to win a fight is to not fight in the first place. You'll see this as a recurring theme from me. I would step back, create space and again, you'd probably see a smile from me. I would most likely proclaim that I didn't want any trouble and possibly even offer a drink.

I've actually been in this position and I acted with choice 4, believe it or not. The situation ended without even a strike being thrown.

Here again, my first choice is to avoid the situation, if that means leaving the scene, I'll leave. If I can't retreat, I'd select number 3 through number 4. In other words, I'd control the situations first without maiming, but would be ready to maim if need be.

My thoughts may differ from some on this type of matter. I truly believe that bullies/thugs, and that's exactly what they are, thrive on fear and domination. If you conduct yourself with confidence, in many cases they will back down. One of the beautiful things that studying the arts brings to people is self-confidence, although as most would agree, it can in lots of cases be a false confidence, but confidence nonetheless. Many people that study the arts do not project themselves as victims and in many cases are left alone, passed up for the easier target. Thus my reaction of a smile, it shows confidence, a sense of no fear. One big thing to remember is to not show up the bully/thug. Let him save face. I have enough confidence in myself as a man and a person to not need that false sense of security. If for life or death, I say fight. If buying a beer or walking out of a party will avoid a fight, even one that I feel I could easily dominate, the honorable thing to do is to walk away.

Now, my turn ... tell me to shut up ... LOL

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The best way to win a fight is to not fight in the first place. At this point it is only words, to be perfectly honest, my reaction would probably be a smile and to walk to a different area away from the possible trouble.

I utterly agree - ego's heal a lot better than bones; i see enough injury training, i don't need to invite it through getting into shoving matches and worse.
About a year ago i found myself in a situation on the street where a drunk guy stumbed into me and then wanted to make it all my fault, taunting and pushing me and raising his fists etc. Thankfully he was wearing a Highlanders rubgy jumper so i could defuse the situation by chatting about rugby, if he played as well, ask him if he knew so-and-so etc. In my experience intoxicated people are very easily sheparded in this manner. In the end i had more trouble getting from a bore than an aggressor, but there's always a trade-off somewhere!
icon12.gif

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score

Well I'd just ignore such silly behavior.

I`d duck, tell him "Nice to meet you" and walk away. If he persisted I`d throw him to the ground.

I`d tell him to put the knife away then whatever the result extract me from the situation. If he gets within my zone or attacks me I`ll use whatever means neccecary to neutralize him. If it means killing him, so be it.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've done exactly that many times. It really depends on the situation, how I'm feeling and whether the glands or the brain is in control. It also depends on how serious he seems to be, whether he has friends, whether the odds are there's going to be a fight no matter what I do.

You get the idea. There are so many what ifs it's bootless to catalog them all. All you can do is what seems best at the moment.

Someone who has drawn a knife has just moved from woofing to absolutely serious deadly force. I don't think I'm good enough to gently disarm someone like that without increasing the terrible risks to myself, so all the options become serious ones.

If my best estimation is that there's a way of talking him down and getting out of that sort of situation without a fight I'll certainly take it whether it's by running, negotiating, de-escalating or something else.

If my best quick judgement is that that's not going to work I will use the greatest degree of force I can as quickly as possible to make sure he's not holding a knife and pointing it at me. If that means breaking an arm, cool. If it means beating him into a pulp with a cinder block or shooting him until the slide locks back that is unfortunate, but I hope I would not hesitate a second to do so. It's not my job to arrest him. It's not my job to take away the knife and get him out of the bar. It's my job to go home at night to my wife.

Eh?
Nope.
Tactically stupid, legally felony stupid. The only justification is (again) if you honestly believe that making him angrier will give you an edge in a fight you have no other way of avoiding.
Unpleasant. Unfortunate. Sometimes necessary. When it's necessary nothing else will do.
Nice work if you can get it. I don't have such an inflated belief in my own abilities that I think I can make it work all that often. One of the best reasons to keep training is to get good enough that you have the luxury of being merciful if you so choose.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score

The statement "I'm going to kick your ***" is almost always a lie. It's been a decade or so since it got any kind of rise out of me.

Take the opportunity to disengage. If the idiot pushes the issue, take the opportunity to disengage. If he pushes to the point where I feel I'm in physical danger, destroy him.

Nikedo first. If not, use whatever improvised weapon I can to even the playing field and destroy him.

My first sensei used to say "If you get in a fight, kill your attacker. If you don't feel justified in killing him, you shouldn't have gotten in the fight."

MaartenSFS

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Couldn't resist this one...

I haven't been in many fights in my life (Though I could and should have been) because from early on I adopted the Terminator Stride (As my classmates called it so many years ago) and the Maarten Squint (Classmates again). I remain absolutely calm and tell them in a strong, quiet voice that I will kill them. Now this could be labeled as a threat, but it has gotten me out of 99% of situations (Perhaps fifty or more).

It also scares away beggars, panhandlers, Jehova's Witnesses, Pamphlet pimps, et cetera (Especially useful in Asia). One time I was walking in a park at night and was confronted on a high-arching bridge. With one look the group of shorter Asian men scattered like cockroaches on your kitchen floor when you turn the lights on. My shoes are size 48, so I imagine they were afraid of being stepped on. =P

Another thing you can do is ignore them. This works quite well in minor situations.

If that fails I will draw my telescopic baton in the blink of an eye and pop their head like a balloon. ;)

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Well I know it's considered immoral but I'm female, obviously so, I have hips that wiggle, a warm smile, a friendly disposition and I'm not afraid to use them. ;) If someone did say that to me, I'd play it daft and pretend it was a joke while being as friendly as I could and just use whatever I could see about them to draw them into conversation and talk my way out of it. Works on agressive women as well as men. Disarming someone of their aggression is better than trying to disarm them of a later aquired weapon I think.

I'd apologise, even if it wasn't my fault. No room for egos in that situation... his would be big enough for both of us. All egos do is clash and accelerate the problem.

If I had to it would be 4, then 3. But after disarming I wouldn't run, I'd put him in some sort of lock and call the police.... or, as we are talking about me personally, I'd call a mate who is a policeman and ask him for advice and maybe get him to report it for me while I concentrated on keeping the lock on.

That's naughty, didn't your mother ever tell you not to lie?

1. Never
2. Never
3. Probably, I would probably be a bit too enthusiastic and break a wrist or something.
4. Hopefully but unlikely.

Now shut up ;)

OP
bigfootsquatch

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just to let everyone know, the Four Ethics of Defense is from Aikido, not something I made up. Keep the responses coming! and since I don't have time to give a good one, I'll respond later.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I avoid a fight at all costs. There was a forum dealing with the four levels of combat that I dissagreed with. I find there is sparring and the real deal. I've never been a significant competitor. Some people talk of "duels". I never partake in a "duel" because I never had brothers growing up to rough me up a bit nor did I do much playfighting. I'm a chicken because even in a "duel" there are to many unknowns. Are you going to trust that his freinds won't jump in? Are you assuming he doesn't have a weapon or that you CAN defeat him? I'm too paranoid. You catch me in a corner with no choice and I will finally fight. I will use lethal, often "excessive" force, indeed I go for the killing/maiming attacks first. In a real situation, they are trying to kill me or worse (I'm assuming). They will be trying to break my bones, bash my brains all over the wall or whatever my imagination comes up with. This makes me very scared. I feel that I will only get one shot, if that, and it has to stop him immediately. If I do reduce his threat level to 0 without seriously hurting or killing him great, but first I have to completely remove his ability to be a threat. I won't always know that before he's missing a pair of something. I think I've done good in the past because of my lack of confidence. You don't want to get hurt, don't fight. You don't want to get hurt seriously, never back someone into a corner. You wanna spar, I'll try to mix a good time with learning experience. You want a duel you might as well call me a wuss off the bat 'cause I won't do it (and if I'm given no choice, It won't be a duel anymore, it'll be survival). IMO, that's what I admire most about exceptional martial artists: the confidence in their abilities.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
I avoid a fight at all costs. There was a forum dealing with the four levels of combat that I dissagreed with. I find there is sparring and the real deal. I've never been a significant competitor. Some people talk of "duels". I never partake in a "duel" because I never had brothers growing up to rough me up a bit nor did I do much playfighting. I'm a chicken because even in a "duel" there are to many unknowns. Are you going to trust that his freinds won't jump in? Are you assuming he doesn't have a weapon or that you CAN defeat him? I'm too paranoid. You catch me in a corner with no choice and I will finally fight.

You just described me hee hee....

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Granted some people train for other reasons. I think most of us train for all or most of them and just have a primary reason. Mine is self defense. The real thing. I take karate for fitness, fun, and sensei's wisdom. I almost never train for competition. Not my thing. I'm more worried about getting killed or being put in agony. My ego has been stepped on all my life. I'm used to beeing called names and stuff but I've never punched somebody out about it. Granted I've been called a few doozies and got pretty steamed. Like anything, if you get embarrassed enough in public it doesn't hurt anymore, or at least, not as much. I have an ego (who doesn't? Ghandi had an ego) but I think it's humble, definitely not worth fighting=possibly dying for. I just try to be polite or run away first chance I get. The only problem with running away is being recognized later on. If you can settle a guy's hash then and there, it can be a good thing, but that's not for me.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lets see if I can go through these in order:

1. I might just say" you can most likely do that but I would prefer it did not come down to us finding out" or I might not say any thing but just smile at them

2.pushing me in a trivial manner I might ignore or I might say what was that all about my bumping into you was a accident

3. someone with a blade: dose he just show it to me from a safe distance?, dose he try to stab me or cut me?
If he opens it and threatens me my body/ mind would go into a different set and I would prepare to deal with what might come next while trying to deescalate the situation with words.
If he tries to cut or stab me I intend to **** him up

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, been there many times. Fortunately, more times than not, the calm, cool head prevailed. This was partly due to me taking a step back for a minute and asking myself if its really worth it, and then there were those times when my wife would snap some sense back into me. ;) Walking away, as hard as it may seem, is the best choice. Of course, saying something like, "Yes, you probably could whoop my ***." works too! :)

Again, if its possible to avoid something, I'm all for it. Words are cheap. I've been called my share of names and I didn't run to a corner and cry. So, the guy calls you a *****, whimp, etc. Who cares. However, a line needs to be drawn. I'm not going to be someones punching bag. Knowing the proper tool to choose is all part of the training. :)

Well, I don't carry a gun, so if I can't get out of the situation, I would do what I had to, to secure my safety. Is there something around to use as an equalizer, such as a chair, broom handle, etc? If not, and you're forced to defend yourself empty hand, getting control is first and foremost IMO. All the fancy stuff in the world isn't going to work if you dont have control of the weapon arm.

1) If I'm going to attack, I certainly want it to be justified. :)

2) This wouldn't help my cause later on.

3) That is something that should be a last resort.

4) Ultimately, you would want to inflict as little damage as possible. Again, this all depends on how things unfold.

Mike

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
."Draw a knife on me -- and you get shot. I do carry a gun almost 100% of the time. If it's a situation where I can't draw the gun, or the rare occasions when I'm not carrying, and I can't escape... the same principle applies. Threaten me with lethal force, and you lose the right to go on breathing. I'm not evolved enough to be nice about it and just disarm *******s.

Ya beat me to posting it Jim...Well said...

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Smile, small chuckle, walk away.

"Whoops! Hey, whoa, sorry about that." Walk away while keeping my eye on him.

He gets pummeled as soon as I see the knife. How badly is up to him.

1 and 2, never. 3 and 4 are situational.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
jdinca and I are in perfect agreement.

Wow. Alert the press! :)

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Almost any answer with regards to the martial arts begins with 'it depends'. So, bearing that in mind...

It depends.

If a person tells me they can kick my ***, it depends on whether or not I think they intend to make good on their threat, whether or not they are just puffing out their chest in front of their friends, whether I am working (as a bouncer) or just walking down the street or enjoying a few beers at the local watering hole. It depends on whether or not I think I can take them, which opens up a whole other box of 'it depends'.

Most of my confrontations happen at work, where I don't have the luxury of backing down or walking away. If I tell someone they aren't coming in, and they tell me how their going to kick my ***, then they'd better back off or step up, because come hell or high water I'm going to do my best to keep them outside that gate.

Most of the time, words alone will be enough. You can appeal to their logic, their greed, their friends, or their sense of self preservation as the situation dictates. It also pays to indentify problems before they start, and to build a rapport with those people. Giving someone a discount on the cover charge, getting them a free drink, giving them a cigarette or just generally cutting them some slack early in the night can make it easier to kick them out without a fight later in the night.