The Consequences of the Theory of Evolution

fangjian

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are not. There either is or there is not life beyond physical death. One can parse one's answer in a variety of ways, but the question is binary; thus there are only two positions.
There were just other items in those positions that carried a bit more baggage. But yes, if the issue is 'consciousness after brain death', than yeah, you can 'believe' or 'not believe' in that concept.
Personal pleasure. I can take pleasure when I am alive. Once I am dead, nothing matters at that time. Thus, taking action on the basis that it will give pleasure when I am gone is illogical; I won't be able to enjoy it.
I wouldn't say 'nothing matters'. Well I wouldn't, at least. The things I do may give 'others pleasure' after I am gone. Through Natural Selection, life has evolved to survive. If evidence suggested that there was a 98% chance that an asteroid will impact Earth in the year 2098, would you 'care'? We will both be gone by then.
Of course it is about rights. Not the right to believe, but the right to act in a manner consistent with those beliefs. To live in a free society in which everyone's vote counts, the ignorant must have the same voice as the educated. Democracy is inconsistent with a logical science-based society. Global warming? As long as a majority don't believe in it, and choose not to vote based on those issues, then that's the end of it. The end result; potential destruction of human life, doesn't matter if you want freedom. Choose one.

Because a simple statement, such as "people ought to think X" becomes "people ought to be made to believe X," historically speaking. One can substitute any value for X, from belief in God to belief in Anthropogenic Global Warming. And proof of this is seen in our laws and proposed laws on a daily basis. People have their beliefs; then they attempt to inflict them on others. One seldom stops at personal belief. I point no fingers - we're all guilty.
But science itself is all about free speech and public inquiry. Silencing people would create a new 'dark ages'. Am I missing your point?

and if you knew how to spell "accepted", i wouldnt have gotten a chuckle this morning....
Hahaha Awesome. There are a few words that I consistently always spell wrong. That is one of them. Funny. Well, I'm happy I gave you a chuckle.

One more thing. I am still interested in the 'consequences'. I listed some of mine earlier, but they were for the most part, positive. There has to be negative consequences. Anybody got anything besides 'a possibility of some twisted ideology making use of that science, like the Eugenics program'? What else?

Latest Discussions